Menu

DE credits and college scholarships?

DS is a junior this year and we have already started the previews at colleges that we may be interested in. One school admissions officer already warned me to be careful of how many duel-enrollment credits we end up with, because at their school (and some others), anything over 30 hours and he will not be elligible for incoming freshman merit scholarships, since he will be classified as a sophomore.

Presently, he'll have 28 credits coming into college (for the colleges that accept them....some of them don't) but he was planning on taking 2 more classes which will push him up over 30 hours.

Assuming I have to submit his community college transcript and can't hide any of the hours...... ??

Have any of you guys run into this? Unfortunately, one of the colleges he is very interested is the college referred to above.

Many thanks ~ Debbie

DS is a junior this year and we have already started the previews at colleges that we may be interested in. One school admissions officer already warned me to be careful of how many duel-enrollment credits we end up with, because at their school (and some others), anything over 30 hours and he will not be elligible for incoming freshman merit scholarships, since he will be classified as a sophomore.

Presently, he'll have 28 credits coming into college (for the colleges that accept them....some of them don't) but he was planning on taking 2 more classes which will push him up over 30 hours.

Assuming I have to submit his community college transcript and can't hide any of the hours...... ??

Have any of you guys run into this? Unfortunately, one of the colleges he is very interested is the college referred to above.

Many thanks ~ Debbie

a friend of mine has a public-schooled daughter who did an IB program. She graduated high school with 45 college hours b/c of AP/IB testing. She forfeited 15 hours, so she could qualify as a freshman and get the big merit aid money. The college allowed her to do this. She loves history, so she forfeited those hours just so she would get to take something she really enjoyed. Not sure if this is an option or not, but I thought I would throw it out there.

You can't hide the courses. You need to send the cc transcript when your ds applies.

So now you have to see what transfer scholarships the college offers so you can compare. Figure out if it is worth it for your ds to continue to take cc courses (as long as you know they will all transfer) and accept transfer scholarship instead of a freshman scholarship. Sometimes the transfer scholarship is lower than a freshman scholarship, but you then need to consider the additional cost of taking those extra classes at the higher price of the university. Sometimes it is less expensive in the end to accept a lower scholarship, but have fewer courses to complete at the higher price. Sometimes you can come out the same or save money even with a lower scholarship amount. Sometimes the freshman scholarship is better. It really depends on the university. Unfortunately, it makes it difficult to plan.

It depends on the college. Some colleges we talked with have said you can simply not accept/transfer some of the credits you have and remain a freshman (retaking courses) and some have said ANYONE taking x hours per semester or having y hours total can not be accepted as a freshman.

It didn't apply at all to my oldest, but could to my middle, so we're staying under x and y.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, it depends on the school. Dd#1 finished her AA (60+ hrs) & was still considered a "freshman w/credit" at the U she's attending.

King's College (NYC) didn't accept any outside credits so it didn't matter--they were just considered Honors classes.

Like someone said, if you get to keep the credit & it takes you less years to graduated from the more expensive school, consider that a scholarship too.