Menu

Amazing request from China!

I could hardly believe my eyes.

A young colleague of my husband, who works for the Chinese government, was homeschooled in China for a significant portion of her life. Later she attended university in the US. We have known her for probably at least eight years now.

Today she wrote saying that a family friend who is the vice mayor of a large Chinese city and responsible for the education department is very keen about homeschooling and asked her

"to help in identifying formal organizations (either it would be civic society, coalition, association or government organization) in other countries like US or European countries. His colleagues would like to communicate with the organization and seek opportunity for a conference so to learn from each others' experiences."

Since we homeschool and she knows my husband well, she contacted us.

So I am asking you, which are the major homeschool associations in the US? I only know of HSLDA (about which I know that some people have reservations, though I think they have done some helpful things for people over here) and so would like to know what else is out there.

I have sought info from the UK since the rest of the European countries have such small numbers....

Thank you,

Joan

Perhaps some larger homeschool coops. Many are 501c3 organizations so they would be "official." If you could find one that was secular to recommend it would be great since China is not a predominately christian country.

I just did a quick search and find that 501c3 are nonprofit types...Do you have any that you would recommend?

Homeschool coops serve an important function so it would be good if they are represented.

I have looked on a European homeschool site which only lists 3 American sites -

HSLDA, Home Education Magazine and Secular homeschooling...

There are so many state organizations that I was hoping someone would have a short list of the best organizers.

Joan

Peela - thank you!

Question - now it looks like they will only be inviting 1-2 representatives. It may end up being one from Australia. Originally they didn't think of Australia but now they are open to the idea.

She does say that people in China homeschool for nonreligious reasons. So is this organization Christian or secular? (or something else)

Thanks,

Joan

Just researched Classical Conversations - I'd heard the name but not researched it. I had no idea it was so widespread!

I'll put it on the list of websites (though not sure it will be accepted due to the Christian part).

Thanks for the Florida info. It is true that I have a huge list of dif organizations by state, but I have no idea which are the major players. So that is exactly what I need to know, as I'm putting the revised list together.

Thanks,

Joan