Menu

How do we go about choosing a dog?

DH and I are cat people however our boys want a dog. This is not a passing fancy. They've been asking for years. They play with and take care of the neighbor's dog and they are old enough to be responsible for one. Now we need to find a dog.

I want to make sure it's one that can handle being in a home with three boys and two cats. It need to be trainable. It needs to love hiking and playing in the woods.

We have a dog training facility near our house that we hope to use. I'd love for some of our resident dog experts to check out their website and see if it looks like a good place to do obedience classes.

Dogs ~like people~ are individuals.

Do yourself, and your pocketbook, a favor and get a puppy from your local animal shelter. If your shelter doesn't have any puppies available checkout local rescue operations. In the Northeast we have a shortage of shelter puppies (not dogs ~ but puppies). The rescue groups drive down south and pick-up puppies that have been surrendered there.

Puppies from shelters are just as "good" as expensive breed dogs. Breed dogs frequently have health and intelligence issues due to interbreeding. Mutts are usually healthier and smarter. I'm a life-long dog owner; previously I owned only breeds (labs, spaniels, collies,). My three most recent dogs were all mutts and were easily the most trainable, healthiest and intelligent animals I've ever owned. Also, they're cheaper; you'll easily pay several hundred dollars for a breed dog. Mutts can be had for a hundred bucks or so as a donation to the shelter.

Try this link for your area.http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

I'll second what Stacy said, but I'd even suggest an adult dog. Do some research first so you have an idea of what size, temperament, breed types, etc. you might like. Then go to a few shelters. The good ones will want to know a lot about how the dog will fit into your family, and will try hard to let you know about any potential matches. The nice thing about an adult dog is you know what they'll be like when they grow up as they've already done that. :) For an adult dog, you'll need one which came from a home with cats. Rescuing a dog can give you an amazing pet and save the life of one grateful dog.

But if you want a puppy, Stacy's advice on the shelters and PetFinder are good. :)

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT (can't stress enough) get anything mixed with beagle. I got a cute little beagle pup a few years back, we love him but never again. His skin is so nasty it disgusts me to touch him. He sheds worse than a St. Benard and I have had those too. He has major pet dander and it is gross. He coats everywhere he goes with hair and dander. Baths do not work, brushing makes him shed more. I googled beagle and skin only to read that they had such bad skin and horrible shedding problems. I wish I had looked before I got him. It was fine when he was a puppy but as he got older it got so bad. Like I said I love the lil guy but never again. I will never get another beagle or anything mixed with them again. Good luck with finding a pup but if hair and dander drive you nuts NO BEAGLE!!!!

when we decided to take the plunge and get a dog, we spent a few months reading about different breeds in dog training books, dogs for dummies, etc. We had a long list of dogs we were interested in, then a short list. The show, dogs 101 was helpful a bit. We ended up with a labradoodle, and she is almost without fault, she is a really good dog.

good luck!

Well, a breed that works for one family, will not necessarily work for another. That being said, when we bought the farm, I told my husband I wanted to get a dog for the boys. My boys are extremely active, and are out playing in the woods around our house the second their school work is done. We are a very active family, and love hiking and heading to the beach any chance we can get. After months and months of research, I ended up getting a Golden Retriever. He is such a wonderful dog, that I went back to the breeder and got another one :D, although I had to wait a year for her. They are my boys' constant companions. If the boys go outside and they somehow get left inside, they will bark at the door until I let them out. They are great with all of the animals on our farm (we have 6 barn cats), and have even been known to play with the pigs through the fence. Both of our Goldens are very well behaved, and do not have to be crated at night, or even while we are gone. They are 2 yo, and 6-months.

The only drawback thus far, is that if it is extremely cold, they try to sneak in bed with my husband and me. I've tried to encourage them to sleep with the kids, but I suspect they prefer to sneak into our bed because the kids are total wiggle-worms when they are sleeping!

Krista

Whatever you do, please do not adopt or otherwise support American Brittany Rescue. See my other thread about them refusing to return our dog.

#1 there are a lot of rescue groups for just about every breed and those that do mixes or both If that is the name of the national group??? They would almost certainly be a network of individual groups working together. My affilliated group in PA would not likely be the same people in TX for example. Kind of like all McDonalds are not run by the same person.

#2 I'm sure there are way more happy adopters from that organization-and rescued Brittany's than people unhappy with them. Like anything else-there are unhappy and happy people with every organization/group/business...you name it.

#3 We only heard one side of the story-personally-I will reserve judgement for when I do hear from the Brittany rescue in question. I have known of some that pass off what they do as rescue, but it is actually hoarding other things, but most really are just doing the best they can helping dogs. Having done rescue-I can understand the dilema of both sides.

#4 if you want a certain breed and want to adopt-breed rescue is a great option since they are experts in their particular breed-and it's quirks... If they tell you that breed is likely not a good fit for you-consider that. They are in it to place dogs forever and know what it takes to be an appropriate XYZ breed owner. No breed is good for everyone. Also the dogs are usually fostered in a home, have medical and behavioral issues worked on, and will take the dog back if it does not work out.

BTW-my favorite breed picking book is The Right Dog for You-can't remember the author, and I have it lent out. It is the most accurate I have found in regards to the characteristics of the breeds they have in the book

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT (can't stress enough) get anything mixed with beagle. I got a cute little beagle pup a few years back, we love him but never again. His skin is so nasty it disgusts me to touch him. He sheds worse than a St. Benard and I have had those too. He has major pet dander and it is gross. He coats everywhere he goes with hair and dander. Baths do not work, brushing makes him shed more. I googled beagle and skin only to read that they had such bad skin and horrible shedding problems. I wish I had looked before I got him. It was fine when he was a puppy but as he got older it got so bad. Like I said I love the lil guy but never again. I will never get another beagle or anything mixed with them again. Good luck with finding a pup but if hair and dander drive you nuts NO BEAGLE!!!!

Things that jump to mind are thyroid, maybe diet. Have you had a vet check and bloodwork? If bloodwork came back alright, I would look at what the dog is eating next. If that was alright, I would try a shed stop supplement and see how that went.

We used to have a book called "The Right Dog For You." I don't remember the name of the author. He handled dog "problems" that were really problems with people choosing the worst possible breed for their living circumstance and lifestyle. The book covers the behavioral traits of each breed, and in what environment they thrive.

Note* To inform you about a cultural issue, some (certainly not all) families that have adopted members find it extremely offensive to use the term "adopted" in relation to getting a pet. I'm not going to tell people to stop doing it because it's so common in America no one really thinks it through and therefore they are not trying to degrade the sacred act of adoption by equating it to pet ownership, but you might want to consider how you would feel if you were in their situation. Most adoptive families won't bat an eye, but don't say I didn't warn you if you run into one who reacts very negatively to you if you do use the term.

Take a few of the many dog breed selection quizes online.

http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/

This will help you narrow the choice down, and then you can really investigate individual breeds well.

If you google Dog Breed Selectors, a few will pop up. After you answer a bunch of questions and it gives you the breeds that most closely match your list of wants.

Thanks for pointing me to these. I took several and they all recommended several breeds I've never heard of.

Labrador. We did research, as needed a dog not only good with kids and cats, but also with a large teen with autism who likes to hold animals and jiggle them around while singing ;-)

We decided to go with an AKC registered breeder who had a website full of good recommendations from happy owners (including some minor sports figures and other celebs.) and could provide a bloodline for the puppies, showing a few generations back, with health issues, if any, noted. SO we could avoid a dog apt to have hip troubles (not uncommon in large dogs). We were able to save a couple hundred dollars, too, by selecting a "old" puppy (11 weeks) rather than insisting on an 8-week fuzzball.

We crated trained from day one, did basic obedience training, let the cats teach puppy Who Was Boss (while he was small), and now have a 5-year-old great dog!

We did not go for a Golden R. as wanted shorter hair for our mostly indoor dog. Captain gets long walkies twice a day, and weekend trips to the local fenced dog park to cavort and run like a maniac.

He is GREAT to hug, too.

Edited by JFSinIL

Do yourself, and your pocketbook, a favor and get a puppy from your local animal shelter. If your shelter doesn't have any puppies available checkout local rescue operations. [/url]

I'm pretty sure we'll go with a dog from a shelter. One local shelter wants to do a home-visit before sending a dog home with you. Is that common? I'd be happy to provide references from my vet and/or neighbors to show that we take good care of our animals, but I have no intentions to let someone inspect my home before approving it for a dog.

I'll second what Stacy said' date=' but I'd even suggest an adult dog. [/quote']

One of the best cats we've ever had was an adult when we got him. We knew his temperment and we knew he was sociable and friendly. A friend of mine (who has a farm and owns many animals--some rescued from horrible conditions) highly recommends that we get a puppy so that we can bond with it better, though. Do you think we can bond as tightly with an adult dog?

When our older girls were 5 and 3 we decided it was time to bring a dog into our family--the fact we FINALLY had our first real house helped too!

We visited several local shelters and pet-store adoption days. After a few weeks of looking my DH spotted a picture of a dog--a German Shepherd/Corgi mix and he fell in love. We took the whole family to the shelter and the dog was a hit with our girls. Even though she was an adult she bonded very quickly to our family. Because she was a larger dog (70 lbs) we took her to a large-breed trainer. A few months of working with her and she became a GREAT dog--so go we got a second dog the following year (not the best way--they were selling puppies in a parking lot...)--he was a full German Shepherd puppy and a LOT of work, but since we had experience working with a trainer (a trainer trains the PEOPLE not the dog) we were better prepared for that adventure. We had those dogs for nearly 10 years...

We now have 2 white German Shepherds. Data (male) came from a very reputable breeder. He is an EXCELLENT dog--great temperment, obedient, easily trained... great buddy of my 8yr dd. We chose to go with a breeder because we did not want to deal with the health issues we had to with our first 2 dogs (both had hip problems and both had cancer at an early age)...bad breeding and even 'mutts' that are mixes of purebreds can result in bad health--puppies take on the WORST characteristics of their parents when it comes to health and temperament... so careful breeding can be worth it in large breeds.

Tasha (our female white GS) came to us from a local rescue group. Like our first dog her first year or so of life was obviously full of struggle (both had deep scars and were emaciated). The rescue provide Tasha with a trainer while she was in recovery...so she came READY for a new life. This organization insisted on a home visit--especially because we have a cat and a younger child. Because I'm friends with the vet this organization uses (and he has been to my house) they brought the dog on the first visit. She was IMMEDIATELY at home... and when she saw the cat she casually went up to him, licked him on the head then turned around to continue playing with Data! (she had shown aggression toward cats at the rescue center so this was a surprise!). We still had to wait 2 more weeks before Tasha came to live with us... she melted right into our family. She is a GREAT dog--but she does have issues--she came with baggage. In her case we cannot let her around small dogs--she goes into 'kill' mode.. we are not sure if she will ever get over the trauma that caused this aggression... but we are working on it--since we live in the boonies on 12 acres and she has a HUGE fenced yard this has been a nearly non-issue with us... She loves to ride in the car when we take younger dd to school and back--and she is GREAT on hikes at parks... but I would never walk her in a neighborhood or around lots of people... this is inconvenient because Data is a certified 'therapy' dog and we love to take him places... Tasha also has HUGE separation anxiety issues and it is just easier keeping the dogs together at this point.

Our current dogs and our past dogs were not crate trained (except was our first GS puppy and that was a mistake)... we confined the others to a small bathroom with baby-gate because German Shepherds need to be able to fully extend their bodies when they sleep (hip reasons)... and a crate big enough for this is big enough for them to 'go' in too... so it defeats the purpose... all of our puppies trained easily (thank goodness!). We do not allow dogs in the kitchen or on the beds (they would take up the WHOLE bed)... no exceptions and this rule has been easy to learn even for our adult rescue. Our dogs do not get table scraps so they pretty much ignore us when we eat (But it does help if they are fed an hour or so before we have dinner--they will not eat in the morning, in fact NONE of our GS dogs ever ate in the morning once they were adults).

When you go to rescue centers bring the the whole family... ask if your children can walk the dog on a leash--watch their interaction. Too many times the adults choose the dog just to bring it home and find it is nervous around kids!

when we decided to take the plunge and get a dog, we spent a few months reading about different breeds in dog training books, dogs for dummies, etc. We had a long list of dogs we were interested in, then a short list. The show, dogs 101 was helpful a bit. We ended up with a labradoodle, and she is almost without fault, she is a really good dog.

good luck!

Labradoodles are awesome! But I doubt DH would go for spending that much on buying a dog. Do you mind telling me where you got yours?

Well, a breed that works for one family, will not necessarily work for another. That being said, when we bought the farm, I told my husband I wanted to get a dog for the boys. My boys are extremely active, and are out playing in the woods around our house the second their school work is done. We are a very active family, and love hiking and heading to the beach any chance we can get. After months and months of research, I ended up getting a Golden Retriever.

We too have boys and live next to 23 acres of wooded community park land. I know they will take whatever dog we get on lots of adventures! Our boys really want a Golden.

We used to have a book called "The Right Dog For You." I don't remember the name of the author. He handled dog "problems" that were really problems with people choosing the worst possible breed for their living circumstance and lifestyle. The book covers the behavioral traits of each breed, and in what environment they thrive.

Note* To inform you about a cultural issue, some (certainly not all) families that have adopted members find it extremely offensive to use the term "adopted" in relation to getting a pet. I'm not going to tell people to stop doing it because it's so common in America no one really thinks it through and therefore they are not trying to degrade the sacred act of adoption by equating it to pet ownership, but you might want to consider how you would feel if you were in their situation. Most adoptive families won't bat an eye, but don't say I didn't warn you if you run into one who reacts very negatively to you if you do use the term.

A PP recommended that book too. Glad to hear it's such a good one! :001_smile:

I totally hear you on using to word adopt when referring to a dog. I don't think I've ever used that term because I firmly believe that a dog is not a child.

I know one person who got a dog from a shelter. The dog was vicious to everyone except for her, and she had to return it. The memory of that dog hounded me. I have owned cats and dogs that had been abandoned with no problems, but this time I had my children's safety to consider and I wanted to choose the dog instead of taking one from what was available at a shelter.

I wanted to be as sure as possible about our dog's temperament, high intelligence, beauty, and size, so I decided to get one from a breeder. I took some online breed quizzes and narrowed our choices to Collies, Standard Poodles, and Bernese Mountain Dogs. (I wanted a German Shepherd Dog, but there was only one out-of-state breeder who qualified, so I ruled it out.) The boys thought the Poodles looked too girly and fragile, I didn't like the high incidence of cancer in Bernese Mountain Dogs, DH favored a Collie, so that's the breed we chose after deciding that the extensive grooming and the strong herding instinct were factors we could handle.

I researched breeders and carefully selected one who had been in the business for decades and was highly regarded by other Collie breeders. We visited the breeder before we selected her to make sure her facility was run in accordance with my informed-by-research standards and so I could get a feel for her as a person. After that, I looked carefully at our dog's ancestors and talked to owners of dogs in his line to be sure that what the breeder said about her dogs was true: That she bred them for their gentle temperament, among other important factors. Collies can have eye problems and hip dysplasia so I made sure that the dogs in our dog's lines did not inherit these problems, insofar as that is possible. Our dog was checked by a reputable vet for the inherited eye problems both before we paid for him and after we bought him. We had him checked for the likelihood of having hip dysplasia when he was old enough. We also made sure he was show dog quality -- he comes from a long lines of champions and we paid too much money to make having a pet quality pedigreed animal an option for me. Collies come in different colors and coats (smooth and rough), so we chose that too. I tested each puppy's temperament (how-to gleaned from online research).

In the end, our dog chose us. There were seven puppies in the litter we chose from, all of whom met my standards. I had wanted a female, but Mr. Friendly insisted he was the one for us. There was no way any of us could have left the kennel without him, even if he had been the "wrong" color or had had a smooth coat.

My diligence paid off. We have had no unhappy surprises about our dog -- he has been exactly the dog we wanted for eight years now. The only bump in the road came along when I had him neutered -- every male in this family was strongly against that, and I still hear about it from time to time -- but it's too late now.

Edited by RoughCollie

One of the best cats we've ever had was an adult when we got him. We knew his temperment and we knew he was sociable and friendly. A friend of mine (who has a farm and owns many animals--some rescued from horrible conditions) highly recommends that we get a puppy so that we can bond with it better, though. Do you think we can bond as tightly with an adult dog?

The most important criteria when getting puppies is handraising. Puppies that have had humans hold, touch, cuddle them from their birth are much more likely ~whatever their breed~ to be cooperative and tainable pets. Here in the northeast when shelters get puppies, they frequent put them out to foster families, families that agree to care for them until they're adopted. Our most recent adoptee Zeus, he's 12 weeks old now, was fostered out to a large family with 6 children. On a daily basis, he was held and carted around by a passel of kids. This makes for a relaxed puppy who is comfortable with kids and a lot of human contact.

I think the bonding is important for both the humans and the puppy.

I'm pretty sure we'll go with a dog from a shelter. One local shelter wants to do a home-visit before sending a dog home with you. Is that common? I'd be happy to provide references from my vet and/or neighbors to show that we take good care of our animals, but I have no intentions to let someone inspect my home before approving it for a dog.

I've adopted three puppies from our local shelter (St. Huberts for those in Jersey), and they've never asked for a home visit. We simply filled out some paperwork, paid the fee, and took our puppy home. I think a home visit is a bit weird. I might look for another organization.

Another thing to consider is neutering/spaying. Our shelter actual does the procedure at their facility prior to putting the puppies up for adoption. This is really convenient and economical for the family. Some rescure organization require you sign a statement confirming your intention to neuter/spay later. Dogs are expensive. Vet bills, especially for a puppy, can be large. Consider that to as you prepare for a new pet.

We've had pets we've gotten young, and others older, and the bonding was no different between the two after a few months time. Some will bond very quickly, and others take time - but that's with cats. Older dogs, if they're friendly, playful and interested in you when you visit them at the shelter, will probably bond very quickly. Just ask any family who's found a lost pet and kept it for a night or two till the owners were found. Don't forget that your friend is dealing with animals who were probably abused, or at the least very neglected. The majority of dogs in the shelters aren't coming from this background. The workers at the shelter should be able to give you a fairly accurate assessment of each of the animals in their care, and you can stress that it's important to have one who will bond well with your family.

On edit: Or at least I think the majority haven't been abused. Many are given up due to finances, or moving, or other considerations.

Hornblower we need you here!!!!

Edited by Teachin'Mine

We too have boys and live next to 23 acres of wooded community park land. I know they will take whatever dog we get on lots of adventures! Our boys really want a Golden.

Honestly, I don't see us ever owning any other type of dog, even after the kids are grown. Goldens are simply a wonderful, all-around dog.

Krista

Oak Knoll mom,

we got our labradoodle from a breeder in Az- we are in So. Ca and I wanted one close enough that we could visit the puppies-and so the puppy would not have to be shipped to us, the thought of shipping a puppy makes me feel very sad. I googled and looked at breeders as close to us as i could find. I know that shelter dogs can be a wonderful thing- but my dh is not an animal person, did not grow up with animals, and when he was finally wanting a dog, and was realistic finally to all that would entail...I felt like we had one shot at it, and we needed to be as sure as we could be about personality and health traits. I really liked the breeder, I liked how she worked with each family to pick the puppy she felt would do best with them, and how the dogs/puppies are raised in her home, with her kids. Our labradoodle is also more poodle than labrador- she has a labradoodle mom and poodle dad- I liked this ratio, since I really wanted a standard poodle.

reading books on dog training and on dog breeds really helped us hone in on what traits we were looking for, and what we either wanted to avoid or more important- how much exercise/stimulation we could provide to keep the dog happy, non-bored.

Dogs ~like people~ are individuals.

Do yourself, and your pocketbook, a favor and get a puppy from your local animal shelter. If your shelter doesn't have any puppies available checkout local rescue operations. In the Northeast we have a shortage of shelter puppies (not dogs ~ but puppies). The rescue groups drive down south and pick-up puppies that have been surrendered there.

Puppies from shelters are just as "good" as expensive breed dogs. Breed dogs frequently have health and intelligence issues due to interbreeding. Mutts are usually healthier and smarter. I'm a life-long dog owner; previously I owned only breeds (labs, spaniels, collies,). My three most recent dogs were all mutts and were easily the most trainable, healthiest and intelligent animals I've ever owned. Also, they're cheaper; you'll easily pay several hundred dollars for a breed dog. Mutts can be had for a hundred bucks or so as a donation to the shelter.

Try this link for your area.http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

:iagree:

Dogs, at least at the shelter I work, are constantly evaluated to determine how their people skills are and how they react in different situations (someone bothering them as they eat, seeing other dogs, seeing cats, etc).

Are you from western NC? I assume that is what the WNC is for? If so, then there is a great place near you to get a shelter dog. It is a no-kill shelter in Morganton NC called Burke County Friends 4 Animals. They have many puppies and dogs. They have a fenced-in yard you can take the dog to and let them run around and play. We were able to tell alot about what we liked and did not like about the dogs from their behavior running around. We love to hike also and did not want a dog that would give out in 20 minutes.

We live in NC and adopted our mutt there. Good people and no pressure, they want you and the dog to be happy.

Our dog was 7 months old and not potty trained. It did take a month and alot of work to potty train a big dog(no way to keep her blocked in the kitchen when we were not home). They do have some dogs that came in already trained though.

Good luck. And when you see the right dog, your heart will go 'Aaaawwww'

Aww. We got a half beagle on purpose, and although I was prepared for the hair issue, ours has super soft fur and barely sheds. In fact, she sheds so little that we were kind of freaked out about it at first. She is a fantastic dog. Beagles can be fantastic with kids - gentle and loving, but hardy enough to romp with rambunctious little ones. They do have a long list of faults ;) , but we are loving ours. She is one of those pups from Kentucky a pp mentioned. I wanted a puppy this time, but adult can certainly bond just as deeply. Good luck deciding!