Menu

Anyone familiar with Rokenbok, Engino or Fischertechnik?

My son loves Knex, Lego Technic (not regular Lego themes!), and Erector sets. I would love to collect more Technic and start him on another pre-engineering type toy. I don't see Rokenbok, Engino or Fischertechnik on the boards often. Does anyone have children who enjoy these? Can you tell me about them?

Edited by LNC

sets. They are expensive, but very durable and well made. The remoter control vehicles come with an amazing guarantee - Rockenbok stands behind their products, and will replace them at any time for almost any reason. If the item is no longer available, they will provide the newer model. Their customer service is excellent, and the sets can be built in multiple different ways, using one's imagination, or instructions found online. Overall, we have found them to be a very good product.

That being said, Legos are still the all time favorite here; nothing compares with Legos at out house :)

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the 80 model Engino set for Christmas. Along with a new Technic set. And a Fishertechnik set for each upcoming bday. I like it that they have motors! Rokenbok looks great for younger kids, but I'm not sure he would be challenged by it, and it is expensive for what it is. Anyone else?

Ds8 was really into FT a few years ago (we bought many kits from Timberdoodle), and bought him something this summer (don't remember what), but he told me he wants to do the same sort of thing through Lego, instead. Maybe Mindstorms, something like that? I am not sure. He thought it looked more interesting than FT, and he used to be a real FT fan.

I really am not the person to be writing this, as dh or even ds, if he were awake, could give more detail. All I do is pay for them, lol. If you want to know more, I could talk to them about FT v. Lego. I never wanted to get into Rokenbok because of all the batteries we would have had to buy. No matter how you look at it, all this technical education stuff is expensive, though.

My son has the Fischertechnik Pneumatic building set...we bought it from Timberdoodle a few years ago. While it was expensive, it is very high quality and is a great into to mechanical engineering.

We also had a couple of smaller Fischertechnik kits---all very well-made.

• 10 years later...