Menu

Is Jillian's 30 Day Shred...

I'm moving from walking outdoors, to DVD's indoor's for winter. Is Jillian's 30-Day Shred a long enough workout for weight loss? I'm definitely using different muscles, because I've been sore! But, the DVD is short. Does it get longer on the different levels?

Also, should I do the same DVD every day? Or, should I be rotating? Doing weights in between? I need a little help. :)

I honestly don't know anyone who has completed all 30 days, me included.

Most people I know don't make it past the first week. I made it ten days. I didn't lose any weight but I was experiencing digestive issues at the same time.

I am getting ready to try it again starting on Monday.

--

I hope others respond because I am curious too.

Do not let that 20 minute length fool you. I work out 6 days a week now - 45 minutes on the treadmill (intense with speed/incline burning 600-700 calories) and then do Nautilus for another 30-40 minutes.

The 30 Day Shred is harder!:lol:

I am going to start adding it in, however, as it is a great way to add in intense exercise in a small amount of time.

For me, weight loss is about 80% what I'm putting in my mouth and about 20% exercise. That said, when I do Shred, I add another cardio workout to go with it. Sometimes I will go straight to the elliptical for an extra 20-30 minutes, sometimes, I do cardio later in the day.

I wear a heart rate monitor when I workout, I "need" to see at least 300 calories burned, I only burn 150-200 doing Shred.

I think the second and third levels are more fun than the first level. For a really good workout I recommend doing two or all three workouts consecutively. I just didn't think 20 minutes was enough. I didn't see any significant weight loss, although I was very sore.

I recently procured a treadmill and started walking/jogging on it five to seven days a week, training to run a 5k. I also do 30 minutes of Pilates (Denise Austin's is my favorite) three to five days a week. This combination is working well for me. When I get closer to my goal weight I think 30 day shred would be great for helping tone and shape, but for burning calories to lose fat I find running more effective. If you can do all three workouts on the same day, however, I think it would be a good calorie-burner.

I think it really comes down to whatever exercise you will do on a regular basis. For me, having a treadmill at my house was the key to success. Also, I think personality affects whether you will like a certain trainer or not. I bought several of Jillian Michael's dvds, and I might use them when I get closer to my goal weight, but they always left me feeling guilty and discouraged. Some people are really motivated by a tough trainer who takes a no-nonsense approach, but I find Denise Austin's gentle, encouraging, positive approach much more motivating for my personality.

It helped me lose weight after my twin pregnancy. But, as a PP said, I was fixing my eating too.

But it's intense enough that it'll definitely do the trick, even though it's short. You can also continue to challenge yourself by upping your weights.

I never did the 30 day straight program. I preferred to do Level 1 one day, then Level 2 the next day and then Level 3 the day after that, taking a day off when I needed to.

For me, weight loss is about 80% what I'm putting in my mouth and about 20% exercise.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I've never been able to go beyond Level 2.

I like that it's a very quick and yet very effective workout.

I don't like that I injured my ankle from doing it over a year ago and that it took months to heal.

Nonetheless, I do hope to go back on it. Not daily. Every few days eventually.

I don't particularly care for Jillian herself. But it's a good workout.

I did it for 45 days. I did lose weight, but I did fix my eating too. The only thing I added to it was going for evening walks a few times. I think if you are fixing your eating it is enough to get you going. After a few months, if you are pretty lean you may need to add more exercise in.