Menu

question for all those who sew

My 10 year old daughter wants to learn to sew and my sewing machine doesn't work very well, so I am thinking about getting her a basic machine to learn on and I can't spend a lot of money...so what I was wanting to know, is if you were to recommend a machine for us, what would it be and why?? thanks.

One that an older lady in your neighborhood is giving away.

Seriously.

Because those things were made to last a woman's lifetime. They are easy to fix, and they wear like iron.

A basic second-hand singer should run less than $100 at a local sewing store.

Freecycle or Craigslist is a good source for used machines.

The one I sew on was trashpicked, as have been several more I've given away over the years.

Save your money for a serger later.

DO NOT buy a new one for under $200 at someplace like Walmart. DO NOT buy a toy or a mini one. DO NOT buy a machine you haven't spent time testing out. DO NOT buy one from somewhere that doesn't service them.

Seriously.

Because those things were made to last a woman's lifetime. They are easy to fix, and they wear like iron.

The one I sew on was trashpicked, as have been several more I've given away over the years.

DO NOT buy a new one for under $200 at someplace like Walmart. DO NOT buy a toy or a mini one. DO NOT buy a machine you haven't spent time testing out. DO NOT buy one from somewhere that doesn't service them.

thanks you for this advice...I really appreciate it. All you say makes perfect sense, but I wouldn't have thought about it. thanks again.

I got a basic model Kenmore from Sears. I use it as often as I need to. I've made quilts, dresses, costumes, hemmed pants, etc. and it works fine and I've had it for about five years now. I oil it like I should and keep it clean, etc. per the directions in the care manual. I was given an old machine from my husband's grandmother. It didn't come with a book, so I (being a beginner and doing it all on my own) could not find the parts or figure out how to put in the bobbin, change the feet, etc. So I just went with the new one. :001_smile: I figure... by the time the new one breaks (because it isn't as well made), I will know what to do with the old one. It's so solid I could anchor a boat to it. I know it will work fine... I just needed something cheap (with a manual) to learn on.

Edited by VBoulden

I second not getting a <$200 from a big box store.

I suggest getting something like this:

http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/p_10154_12604_02019110000P

The nicer kenmores are actually made by Janome. The same machine at a Janome store would run you 2x as much. Here is the #1 reason why for a 10yo though. Look in the picture and see the little slider at the top middle of the machine. If you look very closely you will see a little picture of a turtle and of a rabbit. You can slow down the speed considerably by sliding it towards the turtle, no matter how hard your foot is on the pedal. My old machine is the one that is a step up from that, with something like 230 stitches. The # of stitches doesn't matter: it's the speed slider. We let our dd when she was 5 do some sewing on my old one only because it had it.

FWIW these do go on sale cyclically so you may want to hold out and watch the price.

Seriously.

:iagree:

I've got an old Bernina that my MIL gave me to use. It's a workhorse.

I don't sew often but, when I do, I torture my Brother machine. I don't know the regular price, but I picked it up for around $40 at Walmart one Black Friday, on a whim.

Easy to use, easy to troubleshoot, and it stands up to this novice pushing 5 layers of diaper fabric through. ;)

Oh, plus I move it around the house all the time, it's collected dust, and the kids have spilled on it. It's still going strong 5 years later.