Menu

Science experiment books... Especially for upper elementary and jr. high...

Heather in VA

I think I'm going to bail on the boredom that is Apologia GS and give my daughter a pile of interesting living science books and a pile of experiment books and let her go for it. I have a few science experiment books but they are more for the younger set. I'd love a list of ones with more interesting experiments. I don't mind buying some equipment to do experiments. Any discipline is fine.

Thanks!!

Heather

:bigear:

I have my youngest doing this currently. He's in the 6th grade. I have an entire shelf full of science experiment books. Yes, a lot of the books are for younger kids- BUT he can always continue with the experiment following his own interests. For the questions and such, I am using WTM science questions she has listed.

My only "complaint" is that he doesn't do the experiments unless I get on to him and on to him.

HTH

Inquiry in Action is a free chemistry program, including a downloadable 480 page book, suitable for middle school. The program was designed by the American Chemical Society, and the experiments are much better (IMHO) than the usual science-for-kids books. The science is not dumbed down and is very well explained and illlustrated. There are 7 "Investigations" on key topics (chemical change, physical change, states of matter, etc), each of which includes multiple experiments (42 in all), and they use common household materials. The book includes worksheets, lab reports, grading rubrics, etc. and the website has lots of other worksheets, teacher helps, additional reading, and even mini-videos for each topic (look in the Chemistry Review section). And it's all absolutely free! :thumbup1:

You can also buy a printed, spiral-bound, color copy of the book from ACS for $25.

Jackie

Inquiry in Action is a free chemistry program, including a downloadable 480 page book, suitable for middle school. The program was designed by the American Chemical Society, and the experiments are much better (IMHO) than the usual science-for-kids books. The science is not dumbed down and is very well explained and illlustrated. There are 7 "Investigations" on key topics (chemical change, physical change, states of matter, etc), each of which includes multiple experiments (42 in all), and they use common household materials. The book includes worksheets, lab reports, grading rubrics, etc. and the website has lots of other worksheets, teacher helps, additional reading, and even mini-videos for each topic (look in the Chemistry Review section). And it's all absolutely free! :thumbup1:

You can also buy a printed, spiral-bound, color copy of the book from ACS for $25.

Jackie

I'm going to check with my dad on this one. I bet he can get me a printed copy seeing as he was the head of their books and journals department for over 30 years. LOL

Heather