Menu

s/o Is It Un-Christian to do Yoga?

The article seems to portray that yoga is a vehicle used by several different religions: Bhuddism, Hinudu and Jainism, to attain a higher level of peace or consciousness. Different religions pray too, and sometimes to different gods, does that mean that Christians shouldn't then pray?

I think yoga is defined by how the person uses it. If it's only used for exercise, then it is exercise. If it's used for meditation/prayer than it is meditation/prayer honoring the God you are relating with. If another religion uses it to pray to a different type of god, different than the one you believe in, that doesn't mean when you use it that you use it for their purpose.

The article seems to portray that yoga is a vehicle used by several different religions: Bhuddism, Hinudu and Jainism, to attain a higher level of peace or consciousness. Different religions pray too, and sometimes to different gods, does that mean that Christians shouldn't then pray?

i have no fish on this train but that is one of the best things i've seen said about the whole christianity/yoga debate.

EXCELLENT point. :)

No.

western yoga is so commercialized, it's just exercise. I do avoid classes labeled "meditation"...but I've never had a problem going to yoga. I feel a bit sad for people who avoid trying anything new-out of fear.

I've taken many different yoga classes throughout the years and I don't really ever recall there being any chanting or religious suggestions in any of them. But then again my mind is usually going over how much it hurts, how much longer I have to hold the position for or what I am going to eat when I get home. I think modern yoga can be used for you want it to be used for. Most people use it for the exercise, but there are more traditional yoga classes that people go to specifically for the meditation aspect of it.