Menu

What readers do you recommend for a 6 year old boy?

He is just starting to sound out CVC words and he is moving fast (after taking forever to figure blending out LOL) So what would you recommend? I want to stock my shelves so when he is ready he can go! Right now I have to first 2 sets of BOB Books, we use Phonics Pathways, Reading Pathways and Word Works. What would be a good fit with those for a boy? Thanks :001_smile:

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Well, instead of Bob books we have Nora Gaydos leveled readers. The next step in our plan is to move to Dr. Seuss books, Arnold Lobel's Owl series and Frog and Toad, and the Christian Liberty Nature REader.

You could also get those Step 1 books that come in many cartoon characters, we have a few Thomas ones's.

I've found the Green Light Readers, level 1 to be pretty much right on as far as that stage. There are a few sight words/harder words in some, so you might need to read them with him and supply those words. Here are some of my ds 4's favorites (Green Light and otherwise):

Sam and Jack

Big Egg

Ducks in Muck

Rick is Sick

Sam and the Bag

Jack and Rick

Here's a list of library easy readers. Also, MCP readers look good.

My 6 year old boy is really into earth moving machines, so I found some really nice books from the library by Linda D. Williams (Bulldozers, Backhoes, Concrete Mixers, Cranes, Dump Trucks, and Earth Movers). They have construction site photos with a few short sentences on each page. Some of the words are beyond beginner level, but my ds quickly picked up on them since he thought the books were so cool. HTH!

The readers that come with the CLE Learning to Read program are awesome. You could buy them used from homeschool classifieds or the CLE yahoo group. Their are 4 books & they increase in difficulty (with the first series being a few sight words and CVC words only).

Here they are:http://www.clp.org/store/by_course/150 (samples are on the website)

We also love the free Treadwell books. We used the CLE books, followed by Dick & Jane, followed by the Treadwell readers. http://www.mainlesson.com/author.php?author=treadwell (start with the primer).

We also like any of the "I Can Read" or "Step into Reading" books, as they have various topics my kids can choose from.

Susan

Edited by susankenny

Guest CarolineUK

In the UK many primary schools use the Oxford Reading Tree scheme for teaching reading, it's what my eldest two learnt to read with, so I continued to use it for DS6 and he has mostly loved it - you can get the books in packs of six at a time from Amazon.com for about the same price as I've paid here (some slightly cheaper, by the looks of things :glare:). To know which stage to buy you can look at a chart on their website, DS6 is on Stage 7, which is about right for his age, although he has struggled a lot until just recently. It's not entirely phonics based, so I've also used Jolly Phonics readers with him too.

We also love the free Treadwell books. We used the CLE books, followed by Dick & Jane, followed by the Treadwell readers. http://www.mainlesson.com/author.php?author=treadwell (start with the primer).

Susan

i was looking for FREE Treadwell books on the site you linked..then I realized that FREE is a person's name, not a way to say these books didn't cost anything....bummer....however, I have never seen these and I really like these...I have been looking for some books just like these and I truely appreciate you sendingn out the link!!! Now I want to see if I can find them used someplace.

i was looking for FREE Treadwell books on the site you linked..then I realized that FREE is a person's name, not a way to say these books didn't cost anything....bummer....however, I have never seen these and I really like these...I have been looking for some books just like these and I truely appreciate you sendingn out the link!!! Now I want to see if I can find them used someplace.

I'm not sure what you mean? I was actually trying to say they are free to download. They sell them for purchase as well, but they are free to download....at least the earlier grades are. just click on primer, then scroll down to each chapter. These are recommended readers through ambleside online. They're great! Additionally, there are free Elson readers that are similar. I don't have a link at hand for those, but you can just google it. They're awesome too!

Susan

I'm not sure what you mean? I was actually trying to say they are free to download. They sell them for purchase as well, but they are free to download....at least the earlier grades are. just click on primer, then scroll down to each chapter. These are recommended readers through ambleside online. They're great! Additionally, there are free Elson readers that are similar. I don't have a link at hand for those, but you can just google it. They're awesome too!

Susan

I guess when I think of books, I think of the ones that you can hold in your hand, so when I read free books, I thought free books that I can hold in my hand, not free books I can read off the computer...however, I am still gald you mentioned these...they look awesome!!

My ds did Bob books, but he far prefered the Dick and Jane books. They really don't follow phonics, but I did that along with Phonics Pathways. He did some of the Sam books, too, but his favourite was the oldie (reprinted.) In fact, he liked them so much I ordered more & they were for a couple of grades worth of levels.

I guess when I think of books, I think of the ones that you can hold in your hand, so when I read free books, I thought free books that I can hold in my hand, not free books I can read off the computer...however, I am still gald you mentioned these...they look awesome!!

oh, i would LOVE to find those books too!!! does that even exist? that would be awesome! e-books are the closest thing i've found :) i just print them off and bind them....so they aren't really "free", since i pay for paper & ink (which is still pretty cheap imho). when we're done, i'll probably pass them along to someone else for free.