Menu

So confused about eBay sale

So, I made my first sale tonight on eBay. eBay is holding my money for 3 weeks because I am a new seller so how do I get the shipment money?

Also, how do I get a box to ship it in?

I'll be shipping it with the USPS. Can I just go down to the Post Office, give them the items and the address and they'll pack it up and ship it or would they expect me to already have it packed up and sealed in one of their boxes?

I am just really confused, so any help would be appreciated.

So, I made my first sale tonight on eBay. eBay is holding my money for 3 weeks because I am a new seller so how do I get the shipment money?

Also, how do I get a box to ship it in?

I'll be shipping it with the USPS. Can I just go down to the Post Office, give them the items and the address and they'll pack it up and ship it or would they expect me to already have it packed up and sealed in one of their boxes?

I am just really confused, so any help would be appreciated.

Assuming it's not books, and it's not huge, and it's not going abroad: Go to the post office and ask for a Priority Mail box. You can look at the post office's site online to get an idea of what size boxes are available, so you know what to ask for. In future, get the box *first*, before you post your item on eBay; you can even order them (free) online and have them sent to you.

Now, pack your item and take it back to the post office to weigh it and get a shipping price; they will need to know the zip code. Frequent sellers invest in a scale so they can do this at home. (eBay is the best place to buy scales!)

Now, you can communicate with your buyer about the total price. You will have to pay for shipping up-front, it sounds like.

Ship your item as soon as your buyer pays - that day if possible. Made sure you include Delivery Confirmation - ask the post office about this when you inquire about price.

In future, figure this all out ahead of time, so you can quote an accurate price up-front. If you have your own scale, and a supply of boxes, you can click-and-ship from home through eBay, so you won't have to go to the post office at all, let alone three times!

Check out the community boards at ebay - they are full of people who know all the ins and outs of selling - you will learn a ton. The Children's Clothing board is the most active and the ladies there are helpful; many of them homeschool.

I estimated before, the buyer paid $4.95 for shipping, which is what it will cost.

I found a small camera box of mine. It fits everything in, and it is safe. The only thing is, it is from the camera company so it has all the cam. info on it and pictures and stuff. Can I send in any box I have as long as it is sealed properly and such?

I got the total weight, 13 oz., and the measurements.

Can I just print the sending label off of eBay, they will take the shipping amount out of my paypal account, and then put the label on the box and bring it to the post office and they will send it?

Thanks.

Sounds good. Only issue is that a while back the PO started getting odd about boxes that say one thing on the outside and contain something else inside. In my case, I've found that using beer boxes is a no-no unless you cover up the beer info. I know this sounds nuts! I don't know if they'l stress over the camera box or not. Solution is to cover the box with a brown paper bag - cut open the bag and use it to wrap the box up like a present and tape well. This might affect the weight though.

You can indeed print the sending label off of eBay, they will indeed take the shipping from PayPal. You actually ought at that point to be able to leave it for your letter carrier, but in some rural situations this is a bit trickier, so the PO is your best bet for your first time out. Be sure to tell them it is a click-and-ship, and that it's your first time doing it. They really don't need to do anything to it - it should be ready to go, and you've already paid.

Sounds good. Only issue is that a while back the PO started getting odd about boxes that say one thing on the outside and contain something else inside. In my case, I've found that using beer boxes is a no-no unless you cover up the beer info. I know this sounds nuts! I don't know if they'l stress over the camera box or not. Solution is to cover the box with a brown paper bag - cut open the bag and use it to wrap the box up like a present and tape well. This might affect the weight though.

You can indeed print the sending label off of eBay, they will indeed take the shipping from PayPal. You actually ought at that point to be able to leave it for your letter carrier, but in some rural situations this is a bit trickier, so the PO is your best bet for your first time out. Be sure to tell them it is a click-and-ship, and that it's your first time doing it. They really don't need to do anything to it - it should be ready to go, and you've already paid.

Thank you, so much!!! You have helped me so much, I really appreciate it!