Menu

Nursing moms: do you have unneeded milk that you don't want to let go to waste?

Sorry for the very odd topic.

A friend of mine recently adopted an infant orphan from overseas. The baby is somewhat developmentally delayed and he has several hospital stays since November, when they came home. In addition, he is allergic to formula and many foods. She and her dh are very committed to helping this baby heal, so they have been buying human milk for him from a milk bank. The cost is so high that they have had to take a second mortgage on their house. He doing so much better on human milk, but they're concerned that soon they will run out of money to buy the milk.

I've been thinking about her situation for the last few days. My nursing days are long gone, but when I finished nursing, I had a lot of leftover milk in the freezer that I would have gladly donated to an adopted baby.

It made me wonder: do you have any unneeded milk in the freezer that you'd be willing to donate to this baby? If so, please email me and I'll put you in contact with the mom.

Thanks so much for reading my weird thread and my odd request!

Lisa

has your friend tried nursing him herself? It takes a lot of work and committment to get a milk supply going, but it can be done! My SIL/BIL adopted a boy from Korea and she was able to nurse him. The key is a good pump (like Medela) and a lot of patience. In the meantime...I think your request is fabulous! So many women have "extra" milk. I actually did this for a friend a few years ago when her toddler was very ill. Worked like a charm! When this baby comes, I'll let you know if my supply is "overflowing" as it usually is! What a good friend you are!

What a wonderful gift your friend is giving her child!!! My adopted sister benefitted from a donor for a few months. It was life-changing for her!

I donated through a friend of a friend when my 2 yo was a baby. Through talking with her, I heard that there are networks on line where people who need human milk link up with donors. I can contact her again if you'd like. (But your friend may have already tried.)

Best of luck to your friend!

What a wonderful gift your friend is giving her child!!! My adopted sister benefitted from a donor for a few months. It was life-changing for her!

I donated through a friend of a friend when my 2 yo was a baby. Through talking with her, I heard that there are networks on line where people who need human milk link up with donors. I can contact her again if you'd like. (But your friend may have already tried.)

Best of luck to your friend!

Jennifer,

I'd love to pass on the networking information. I'm not sure if she's tried that or not.

Thanks!

Lisa