Menu

Flu shots--here we go again!

Last year there was all that hoopla about flu shots and the H1N1 virus. Is there still a hoopla this year? Or are we back to all the normal debates about flu shots? Is there anything in the news about the flu this year? Is H1N1 still out there??

From what I understand they put the H1N1 in the regular flu shot this year, so it's either get the H1N1, or don't get a flu shot. I'm on the fence about it for my kids this year. They usually get one, but after last year, I'm not sure.

:bigear: Interested in hearing what others have to say.....

From what I understand they put the H1N1 in the regular flu shot this year, so it's either get the H1N1, or don't get a flu shot. I'm on the fence about it for my kids this year. They usually get one, but after last year, I'm not sure.

:bigear: Interested in hearing what others have to say.....

I have also heard that the shot is combined this year. Last year was our first year of hsing, and we had a great year as far as sickness goes, and we didn't get any flu shots. I read an article about what is in flu shots, and it scared me to death. I can't remember who it was published by, but it was a health journal. It listed some of the stuff also in the shot like mercury, anti-freeze, and several other really nasty things. It also stated that these ingredients are terrible for asthmatics in particular and said that the Academy of Pediatrics doesn't endorse the flu shot for kids with breathing complications. This was really frustrating to me as 3 of my 4 and myself are asthmatic and the pediatrician has been telling us since birth that they will need a yearly flu shot because of it. I talked to her about the article, and her response was that, yes, all that crap is in the shots, but in small enough amounts that are not harmful. I don't like it anyway. All that to say, since we had a really good year last year, we will skip it again this year. I wished I had the article still to site the reference, research it if you feel led.

We do not get the flu shots, anymore, due to the preservatives in them (we do get other imminizations, but I feel those are 100% neccessary). We started getting Flu Mist instead, since there are no preservatives. My kids just got them this week (the boys on Wed. and my daughter got hers today at the allergist). The sheet we were given at the boys' pediatrician's office said it was a three-in-one! The regular flu, H1N1, and some other flu that is supposed to be going around this year... I think it had a three in it somewhere. When I have the chance, I will go look for the handout.

ETA: My best friend's son got Guillan-Barre Syndrome from the H1N1 shot last year... another reason we decided to stick with the mist.

We do not get the flu shots, anymore, due to the preservatives in them (we do get other imminizations, but I feel those are 100% neccessary). We started getting Flu Mist instead, since there are no preservatives. My kids just got them this week (the boys on Wed. and my daughter got hers today at the allergist). The sheet we were given at the boys' pediatrician's office said it was a three-in-one! The regular flu, H1N1, and some other flu that is supposed to be going around this year... I think it had a three in it somewhere. When I have the chance, I will go look for the handout.

ETA: My best friend's son got Guillan-Barre Syndrome from the H1N1 shot last year... another reason we decided to stick with the mist.

That would be great, except that my dd has an autoimmune disease. She is not immune suppressed, but I don't want her getting a live vaccine, just in case. I don't think I think her doc would even consider it. Ds (3yo) is too young for the FluMist.

That would be great, except that my dd has an autoimmune disease. She is not immune suppressed, but I don't want her getting a live vaccine, just in case. I don't think I think her doc would even consider it. Ds (3yo) is too young for the FluMist.

Yeah, she shouldn't get it.

We did flu shots for the past 6 years. This year, no one in my family will be getting them. My kids are older and dh and I are not elderly, so I feel we need to be able to build up some natural immunities. Besides, I have issues with putting chemicals in my body (and the bodies of my kids) if I don't have to. Most people in our age group survive the flu (other than in fluke situations like H1N1) and it is my belief that we are all in God's hands anyway. When our time to go comes, it won't be prevented and if it is not our time, we could darn near get Ebola and survive. Just my belief and my faith, I guess.

We did flu shots for the past 6 years. This year, no one in my family will be getting them. My kids are older and dh and I are not elderly, so I feel we need to be able to build up some natural immunities. Besides, I have issues with putting chemicals in my body (and the bodies of my kids) if I don't have to. Most people in our age group survive the flu (other than in fluke situations like H1N1) and it is my belief that we are all in God's hands anyway. When our time to go comes, it won't be prevented and if it is not our time, we could darn near get Ebola and survive. Just my belief and my faith, I guess.

:iagree: Good for you!

I just hate when the kids get sick, but yeah, they do need to build natural immunities. We'll probably continue on for awhile, but eventually maybe we'll do what you decided. I never got flu shots until just last year (well, it was the mist)!

the adults get the flu shots and zach got the flu mist for the first time this year-he didn't like the idea of having something squirted up his nose but it was better than the shot for him I guess (the trama/pain of it).....been wondering the same thing about the H1N1 thing...haven't researched it but sounds like alot of you have....thanks-great info