Menu

Can I have my lobotomy now?

Does anyone else ever get tired of being different?

We started our family young in an area where you rarely meet people who have kids before 30. I breastfeed (extended) and cloth diaper, stay home with my kids, cook whole foods from scratch, try to live frugally, homeschool, have only one car, don't really watch television...I could go on. Suffice it to say we're the weirdos in just about every conceivable social situation, ever. ;)

I don't judge other people's choices and I'm not militant about anything. I've just tried to make the choices that feel right to me as we go along. The majority of them are less mainstream, and I guess I'm just tired of having people look at me like I have two heads.

Sometimes I just think - if I wasn't the type to research everything and analyze and agonize over my decisions, I could just be doing what everybody else is doing with no qualms, and maybe the road would be a little less lonely.

Anyone else ever feel like this?

I was laughing about this with friends the other day. I was telling them that I stick out like a sore thumb around them...they are all dyeing their own wool, baking their own whole wheat bread, knitting longies for their tots, and gorgeous woolen sweaters for their older kids,, canning even more that I am etc etc. Their kids wouldnot know Dora the Explorer if she bumped into them at music class and said 'Hola!' I told them I have to hide the Cascade when they come to my house. (Because vinegar just does not work so well in my stupid dishwasher). I held a drumming circle at my place just so I could save face and not feel so *mainstream*. :tongue_smilie:

I'd think about a nose ring, but in the end, I am sure it would just end up looking like a big zit.

Edited by LibraryLover

I keep thinking a healthy dose of ignorance and apathy would have made my life a lot smoother...

:iagree::iagree:

(I would do more of those, but there is a smiley limit) I think what you wrote about 900 times a day.:glare: And, it's a bad thing, because my two older daughters (31 and 30), tell me that they feel the same way.

I was laughing about this with friends the other day. I was telling them that I stick out like a sore thumb around them...they are all dyeing their own wool, baking their own whole wheat bread, knitting longies for their tots, and gorgeous woolen sweaters for their older kids,, canning even more that I am etc etc. I told them I have to hide the Cascade when they come to my house. (Because vinegar just does not work so well in my stupid dishwasher). I held a drumming circle at my place just so I could save face and not feel so *mainstream*. :tongue_smilie:

I'd think about a nose ring, but in the end, I am sure it would just end up looking like a big zit.

:lol::lol::lol: I get strange looks b/c I shop at Whole Foods and MOM's (My Organic Market) and I drive a Hummer and wear a mink coat (I bought it 2nd hand on ebay - it's gorgeous) --my kids are knitting Christmas gifts for everyone, we got rid of satellite tv 8 months ago......our milk is delivered in glass bottles from a farm.....we don't eat fast food......oh, and we homeschool. You could use METHOD in the dishwasher and you wouldn't have to hide it.;)

We started our family young in an area where you rarely meet people who have kids before 30. I breastfeed (extended) and cloth diaper, stay home with my kids, cook whole foods from scratch, try to live frugally, homeschool, have only one car, don't really watch television...I could go on. Suffice it to say we're the weirdos in just about every conceivable social situation, ever. ;)

I don't judge other people's choices and I'm not militant about anything. I've just tried to make the choices that feel right to me as we go along. The majority of them are less mainstream, and I guess I'm just tired of having people look at me like I have two heads.

Sometimes I just think - if I wasn't the type to research everything and analyze and agonize over my decisions, I could just be doing what everybody else is doing with no qualms, and maybe the road would be a little less lonely.

:grouphug: :grouphug: and bumpy and hard....I am a weirdo too....I just want some peace...NOW, is that too much to ask?

~~Faithe (who wouldn't look at you like you have 2 heads...unless my 2 were looking at your 2...LOL)

Mrs Myers, maybe. But not Method. Oh no.

Milk in glass jars is only ok if it's local and raw. (Which I do buy).

:lol::lol::lol: I get strange looks b/c I shop at Whole Foods and MOM's (My Organic Market) and I drive a Hummer and wear a mink coat (I bought it 2nd hand on ebay - it's gorgeous) --my kids are knitting Christmas gifts for everyone, we got rid of satellite tv 8 months ago......our milk is delivered in glass bottles from a farm.....we don't eat fast food......oh, and we homeschool. You could use METHOD in the dishwasher and you wouldn't have to hide it.;)

Mrs Myers, maybe. But not Method. Oh

no.

I KNEW it was an M or two! That's what I was trying to remember. I was too lazy to get up and go look under the sink.:D

Milk in glass jars is only ok if it's local and raw. (Which I do buy).

Yup - ours is local, raw, and in glass.

It's the hummer and the mink that make everyone go: :blink:

Hmmm......I just want to point out that because people make choices that are different from yours, it doesn't mean they have not researched, analyzed and agonized, then made their own choices. You make it sound like those who make more mainstream choices are mindless sheeple. I know that's not what you intended, but it kind of came off that way, to me.

Peace,

astrid

So are you admitting to Cascade use?

Hmmm......I just want to point out that because people make choices that are different from yours, it doesn't mean they have not researched, analyzed and agonized, then made their own choices. You make it sound like those who make more mainstream choices are mindless sheeple. I know that's not what you intended, but it kind of came off that way, to me.

Peace,

astrid

All. The. Time. I often think how easy my life would be if I weren't constantly worrying about what my kids are doing, what they're watching on tv, with whom they're interacting online, what they're wearing, whether they're getting their schoolwork done, what we're eating, whether the soap I bought will kill us... I could go on, but now I need a nap.

Yup - ours is local, raw, and in glass.

It's the hummer and the mink that make everyone go: :blink:

The Hummmer would make me do that too. I'd be like "Does she own petrol stock?" I would like the mink, however. Do you wear it during the day? I have a friend who has a mink from her MIL that is fantastic and WOW...but she doesn't wear it to the market, even when it's cold.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I held a drumming circle at my place just so I could save face and not feel so *mainstream*. :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

I also stage events for that reason. "I'm one of you. Really."

What kind of soap is it? I'll tell you if it can kill you. ;) I also hope you use a deodorant stone. (Because they work so well...not).

All. The. Time. I often think how easy my life would be if I weren't constantly worrying about what my kids are doing, what they're watching on tv, with whom they're interacting online, what they're wearing, whether they're getting their schoolwork done, what we're eating, whether the soap I bought will kill us... I could go on, but now I need a nap.

Ummmm...

Taking quotes from two separate posts and putting them together doesn't exactly paint a fair picture of what I was trying to express.

Saying ignorance and apathy would make things easier for me (in response to a comment about how it would be easier sometimes to not CARE so much) doesn't imply that I think people who make other choices are ignorant and apathetic.

Uh, yeah. A lot.

I headcover, I homeschool, I don't work outside the home, I enjoy serving my husband. Those four things alone make me pretty 'different' from all of my family and most of my friends.

:)

Even in my relatively conservative homeschool circle, I'm different.

But you know what? It's ok. My friends still like me, and most of our differences are not even that big. Plus, I can share my experiences with them, and they can get a new perspective on things, and vice versa. It's really good, most of the time.

But sometimes, I will admit, I DO wish I had a friend that agreed with me about everything. Like an imaginary friend, LOL. Ok, well my husband and I are pretty close. But still, not quite everything. :D

The Hummmer would make me do that too. I'd be like "Does she own petrol stock?" I would like the mink, however. Do you wear it during the day? I have a friend who has a mink from her MIL that is fantastic and WOW...but she doesn't wear it to the market, even when it's cold.

I understand not wearing it to the market - it has to be really cold for me to wear it at all (I do wear it during the day IF it is cold) -- and it IS gorgeous. (I hated fur coats until I had twins - and THEN I HAD to have one - I cannot explain it). I had a Whole Foods person ask me once (she was helping me wheel two carts of food out to the truck - it was Thanksgiving) why I 'bothered' to shop at Whole Foods if I drove a Hummer and wore a mink.

I've often wished I could Just Stop Thinking. There's a quote from Riding in Cars With Boys that sums it up perfectly, albeit a bit with a side of offensiveness ;) - "And I just wish that I could be dumb. And then I wouldn't know better."

I wouldn't worry so much about what other people do. It's really not worth it. Some very nice people have cable.

Saying ignorance and apathy would make things easier for me (in response to a comment about how it would be easier sometimes to not CARE so much) doesn't imply that I think people who make other choices are ignorant and apathetic.

I use the MM lavender hand soap, haven't tried the lavender dishwasher soap. Right now I"m using the lavender laundry soap and it seems to be doing a decent job. I've not tried that before. Have you used it?

I LOVE the geranium dish soap and dishwasher packets.

astrid

What kind of soap is it? I'll tell you if it can kill you. ;) I also hope you use a deodorant stone. (Because they work so well...not).

:D

I tried a stone after reading online of the evils of conventional deodorants. Blech. Slimy and ineffective.

D*mn internet. It's too convenient for we obsessive types.

Peace,

astrid

Truly not my intent, but you're not the only one who took offense.

(I would do more of those, but there is a smiley limit) I think what you wrote about 900 times a day.:glare: And, it's a bad thing, because my two older daughters (31 and 30), tell me that they feel the same way.

It's not an easy way to feel! :grouphug:

Nope, it's not. But it is what it is. And, I do things that I am sure make folks go: HUH?:confused: I drive a Hummer, I wear a mink coat when it is bitter cold (bought 2nd hand on ebay) -- we are who we are, and we do what we do. And, I would have to say that it doesn't get any easier to feel this way (I'm 56 with three young children and two grown daughters), but that's where I am. When I start feeling badly, I drag myself into the present moment -- it is usually thinking or dwelling on past stuff that brings on the feeling badly -- I am really working on present moment awareness and staying in the now. Sorry - don't mean to preach. :grouphug:

I've often wished I could Just Stop Thinking. There's a quote from Riding in Cars With Boys that sums it up perfectly, albeit a bit with a side of offensiveness ;) - "And I just wish that I could be dumb. And then I wouldn't know better."

Yes, I really wish there was an 'off' switch for the brain sometimes. Nice to know I'm not the only one. :001_smile:

Yes, I really wish there was an 'off' switch for the brain sometimes. Nice to know I'm not the only one. :001_smile:

Read my post above -- there is a 'switch' -- it's called 'present moment awareness.' You can do a google search on it - I cannot remember the name of the woman who wrote the book - there are many books by many folks out there - hers is the easiest to understand. The BEST book out there on it is Michael Brown's PRESENCE PROCESS. LIFE-CHANGING!!!!!!!

And, heavens, trust me - you are SO not the only one.:grouphug:

:grouphug: :grouphug: and bumpy and hard....I am a weirdo too....I just want some peace...NOW, is that too much to ask?

~~Faithe (who wouldn't look at you like you have 2 heads...unless my 2 were looking at your 2...LOL)

Your two heads can come over for coffee if you're ever up north my way. ;)

Guest Dulcimeramy
I wouldn't worry so much about what other people do. It's really not worth it. Some very nice people have cable.

You are cracking me up in this thread!

OP, I used to feel so isolated and lonely and different. I made many of the same choices, and those decisions can either bring people together (in Portland) or leave you all alone with your hemp-clad self (in the midwest).

Now that I'm older, I realize that everyone feels unique at some point in their lives. It is part of being human and not special.

Get together with some people b/c of a shared interest in extended breastfeeding or homeschooling. Get together with other people just because they are nice and decent folk, even if you have not one external thing in common.

And if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

(Sometimes that means that your imaginary ideal friends are not at arm's length, but very lovable and good people are there, so love 'em.)

Exactly! My husband helpfully suggests I stop thinking so much...believe me, I'm trying!

Uh, yeah. A lot.

I headcover, I homeschool, I don't work outside the home, I enjoy serving my husband. Those four things alone make me pretty 'different' from all of my family and most of my friends.

:)

Even in my relatively conservative homeschool circle, I'm different.

But you know what? It's ok. My friends still like me, and most of our differences are not even that big. Plus, I can share my experiences with them, and they can get a new perspective on things, and vice versa. It's really good, most of the time.

But sometimes, I will admit, I DO wish I had a friend that agreed with me about everything. Like an imaginary friend, LOL. Ok, well my husband and I are pretty close. But still, not quite everything. :D

Hey, a troop of imaginary friends might be just the thing to make me feel normal! Then again, maybe not... ;)

Nope, it's not. But it is what it is. And, I do things that I am sure make folks go: HUH?:confused: I drive a Hummer, I wear a mink coat when it is bitter cold (bought 2nd hand on ebay) -- we are who we are, and we do what we do. And, I would have to say that it doesn't get any easier to feel this way (I'm 56 with three young children and two grown daughters), but that's where I am. When I start feeling badly, I drag myself into the present moment -- it is usually thinking or dwelling on past stuff that brings on the feeling badly -- I am really working on present moment awareness and staying in the now. Sorry - don't mean to preach. :grouphug:

Preach away! It sounds like great advice. :001_smile:

Never fear, I'm not humorless. ;) But I think sometimes I'm taking life a little too seriously.

And having a crappy day...

Ummmm, I didn't take it at all that you were judging others, but only contemplating how YOUR OWN journey of how YOU have come to your decisions has led to a lot of work etc. I think I get what you're saying and I hear no animosity or any condescending attitude in it. I think others are reading too much into your comments instead of seeing the light heartedness in it. I don't see your comments as complaining at all about what others are doing, but focusing on how your decisions have effected you.

There may be some comparison there others are looking at, but I don't think that's your intention.

Edited by Miss Sherry

How sweet!

Yes, she's a big girl, about 30" at the withers (shoulder) and 125 lbs. Here's a video of Molly showing her earlier this year:

Molly is about 5'7", so you can tell how big Dani is. The males are bigger!

astrid

125 lbs - definitely big! I watched the video - how great! And, yes, b/c of Molly's height, Dani looks 'less large-ish' -- but, she does look like a sweetie!:001_wub:

Ummmm, I didn't take it at all that you were judging others, but only contemplating how YOUR OWN journey of how YOU have come to your decisions has led to a lot of work etc. I think I get what you're saying and I hear no animosity or any condescending attitude in it. I think others are reading too much into your comments instead of seeing the light heartedness in it. I don't see your comments as complaining at all about what others are doing, but focusing on how your decisions have effected you.

There may be some comparison there others are looking at, but I don't think that's your intention.

Thank you. About a million times, thank you.