Menu

x-post from Accelerated Board: Math Question

MariannNOVA

Twins (4th grade) are in Singapore 4A - pretty much snoozing through it.....they could do it with their eyes closed.

So, today, I started them doing Kinetic Pre-Algebra - which they LOVED.........:party:..............and grasped immediately.

I will continue using Kinetic with them (and I had ordered TT Pre-Algebra last week and it should be here soon). My instinct is to continue with SM 4A (we are also doing SM's Math Sprints and Brain Maths) - we don't do all the problems now in the 4A book b/c they would be bored to tears if we did.

Can anyone provide suggestions or tell me what they have done in a similar situation? TIA

If they are snoozing through Singapore 4A, they will surely snooze through TT Prealgebra. DS tested into TT Prealgebra after MM5, and it was too easy, plus the review problems drove him crazy. TT only has a few problems on the new topic, and the rest are things like basic addition and subtraction.

I would keep using Singapore for the explanations and maybe just have them do some CWP or IP problems. I don't have the new "homeschool" version of Kinetic Books Prealgebra, so maybe there is more explanation and teaching in the HS version than there is in the regular CD-rom version, but I found that the KB explanations were not as thorough or (here comes the dreaded word!) conceptual as Singapore. KB is still considerably more rigorous (dreaded word #2!) than TT Prealgebra, IMO.

Jackie

If they are snoozing through Singapore 4A, they will surely snooze through TT Prealgebra. DS tested into TT Prealgebra after MM5, and it was too easy, plus the review problems drove him crazy. TT only has a few problems on the new topic, and the rest are things like basic addition and subtraction.

I would keep using Singapore for the explanations and maybe just have them do some CWP or IP problems. I don't have the new "homeschool" version of Kinetic Books Prealgebra, so maybe there is more explanation and teaching in the HS version than there is in the regular CD-rom version, but I found that the KB explanations were not as thorough or (here comes the dreaded word!) conceptual as Singapore. KB is still considerably more rigorous (dreaded word #2!) than TT Prealgebra, IMO.

Jackie

In bold - you are correct -- the HS version explanations are not what I would consider 'thorough.' And, wow, KB more rigorous :w00t: than TT! I guess I knew that at some level, but I also thought that KB would be more...........ummmmm..........challenging than the kids are finding it to be. I am finding it to be plenty challenging, but I am not a strong Math person --dh, on the other hand, had the nickname of 'Physics god' at Princeton -- guess the math skills come from him, huh?

I was thinking CWP and IP in the back of my mind -- thanks - that makes sense.:)

I added MEP. I also bought materials from this guy:

http://www.mathman.biz/

We mostly just "play around" with the mathman stuff. We don't do that on any sort of schedule.

I'm still sticking with Singapore. We just keep plugging along at my son's pace (we are currently in 4B and will probably be in 5A soon).

THAT is helpful.........Thank you. I don't want to go off :willy_nilly:. Thanks :)