Menu

Nature Study Program for K?

NightOwlMama

I use Comstock and the handbook of nature study blog for the kids- 3.5-6. However, mostly I simplify things take an idea- like say apples or geese and talk about the basics- I don't expect either of them to remember great detail but mostly it is about the exposure and getting out there.

We are in the 4th week of the Autumn Nature study- it is only 10 weeks, personally I wouldn't buy it now. You can always wait until Friday for it to be posted and do it the following week- or do some of the previous fall studies. We do have the Handbook of Nature Study by Comstock as well-even just reading it you can get wonderful, basic ideas- just take what they can get and leave it at that.

The study really is basic- read about the topic in HNS, then take them to observe(if at all possible). Then they can do a coloring sheet if they want and a notebook sheet. I probably wouldn't mess w/ anything but the coloring at that age. That is what I do w/ my 3.5 y.o. anyway.

IMHP.....I think nature study is more about getting out there and experiencing it rather than a book or curriculum. I have the Comstock book, the Autumn study, and a host of other nature books, guides. All the books don't matter if the children aren't able to spend time in the field, amongst the trees, lifting rocks up to see what bugs are crawling around. Even the toddlers can pick up the simple names of things, bring home some treasures for the nature table. Burgess has lots of story style nature books that I check out from the library. I would have to say that even though I have a lot of books...we spend more of our nature study just out in it. I try and take the children on 2-3 guided tours a year to learn about habitats, names of things, hike in different areas. I take pictures as I don't have a lot of patient, want to sit on a rock sketching children.:glare: Each child has a nature journal to post pictures in, write, draw or dictate to Mom what they want to say about the latest adventure. It's good to visit the same place in the different seasons so the children, even littles, can see how much it changes. My littles thought that the ducks at the pond "knew them" when we went in the winter time and the ducks would run right up to you and eat out of your hands.:001_smile: Not that the cold, wet weather had greatly decreased the pond's visitors. I think a lot of people get intimidated by the books and what "should" it look like. Just get out there in the fresh air and enjoy creation!:)

IMHP.....I think nature study is more about getting out there and experiencing it rather than a book or curriculum. I have the Comstock book, the Autumn study, and a host of other nature books, guides. All the books don't matter if the children aren't able to spend time in the field, amongst the trees, lifting rocks up to see what bugs are crawling around. Even the toddlers can pick up the simple names of things, bring home some treasures for the nature table. Burgess has lots of story style nature books that I check out from the library. I would have to say that even though I have a lot of books...we spend more of our nature study just out in it. I try and take the children on 2-3 guided tours a year to learn about habitats, names of things, hike in different areas. I take pictures as I don't have a lot of patient, want to sit on a rock sketching children.:glare: Each child has a nature journal to post pictures in, write, draw or dictate to Mom what they want to say about the latest adventure. It's good to visit the same place in the different seasons so the children, even littles, can see how much it changes. My littles thought that the ducks at the pond "knew them" when we went in the winter time and the ducks would run right up to you and eat out of your hands.:001_smile: Not that the cold, wet weather had greatly decreased the pond's visitors. I think a lot of people get intimidated by the books and what "should" it look like. Just get out there in the fresh air and enjoy creation!:)

Totally agree! We spend lots of time just outside enjoying it and exploring whatever we find. I like having the specific studies for some of our time for just ideas of things to look more at but just going outside we always find something to explore. It is amazing how much we see when we open our eyes. My oldest has a nature journal to draw pics and such. We also have a nature 'table' area as well to place our collections. My youngest loves to collect wildflowers. Ds likes picking up interesting rocks and such. It is such a blast.

My friend, who is also a naturalist, recommends "Nature for the Very Young" by Marcia Bowden for pre-schoolers. My friend is publishing a nature study book for grades 3+ through Royal Fireworks Press, the publisher of Michael Clay Thompson's language arts curriculum. It should be off the presses soon! :001_smile:

Here is the one that my friend recommends for k-4. http://www.amazon.com/Hands--Nature-Information-Activities-Environment/dp/1584650788/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286583224&sr=8-1

Edited by Capt_Uhura

My friend is publishing a nature study book for grades 3+ through Royal Fireworks Press, the publisher of Michael Clay Thompson's language arts curriculum. It should be off the presses soon! :001_smile:
Goodness! Please let us know when it is published. I love nature books -- and MCT stuff. The combo may just send me over the deep end. :lol:

I second the recommendation to just get out there and let kids play around. Take them to a creek to play. Take them on a nature hike. Let them start rock collections. Start a display of seasonal items, like acorns and seed pods.

I seriously have a dozen "nature study" book but don't have any particular one I recommend, as I love them all.

We are in the 4th week of the Autumn Nature study- it is only 10 weeks, personally I wouldn't buy it now. You can always wait until Friday for it to be posted and do it the following week- or do some of the previous fall studies. We do have the Handbook of Nature Study by Comstock as well-even just reading it you can get wonderful, basic ideas- just take what they can get and leave it at that.

Thank you - good advice. So you can buy it all together or wait for each lesson plan at the end of the week - I didn't realize that. If you don't buy it does the entry she posts at the end of the week include everything you would get if you bought it - like the coloring pages? I went ahead and bought the book Handbook of Nature Study.

I haven't used this curriculum yet, but this is the nature study course I am planning to use with my 5 year old next year. I love how the lessons are told through stories.

http://www.queenhomeschool.com/produ...urseframe.html

Laura

Thanks for sharing that Laura - it looks like one we would love!

I agree too!!! We do our own thing and enjoy being outside. I think my new addiction is just buying curricula and educational resources. :D Good advice 4besitos!

For K-2, the Bernard Nebel book includes a lot of nature study...

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Found...6576130&sr=8-1

Thanks! This one looks really good and thorough. My husband would especially love this one I think.

My friend, who is also a naturalist, recommends "Nature for the Very Young" by Marcia Bowden for pre-schoolers. My friend is publishing a nature study book for grades 3+ through Royal Fireworks Press, the publisher of Michael Clay Thompson's language arts curriculum. It should be off the presses soon! :001_smile:

Thanks for the Marcia Bowden link - looks very good. I'd love to know your friend's name so I can look for their book!

Yes, I agree! We have both of these books and love them! We also love the Christian Liberty Press nature readers and incorporate them each year. They're great!!

Susan

Thanks Susan! I have a nice list of fun things to keep my eye out for now:)

For the horse one it did, I haven't checked for all of them. However, it really hasn't been a trouble to find ones online and quickly print them. It is up to you though. For winter I compiled my own study w/ old winter blog posts found some few notebooking pages online and coloring pages.

Just to let you know that the Comstock book is written for the teacher/parent. It is designed to give them the information to answer the questions the student may have during their nature study time and to give them the tools to focus that time. Once I understood that, it was much easier to use the book on my own. Hope that helps :).

Soror - Good idea. They are all subjects that resources can be easily found for. The apple one had some print-outs. I'm thinking of joining that Notebooking site but I need to make sure I would use it.

Pata - Knowing that helps a lot, thanks. I think that book will be really good for me:)