Menu

Hey, kids! Good news to share...

Didja miss me this week? (Just...say yes.;)) A few of you with good memories were wondering if I ended up doing the half marathon last weekend. The good news is...YES! Mind mastered matter and I lasted 13.1 ~ barely. I've had a really nice week and wanted to share here since some of you have been so faithful in your prayers and encouragement.

Last Saturday, while my guys were busy showing cattle at a local 4-H event, I headed down to the GreenFest in Seattle, where I worked at the Organic Valley booth. (Note to self: Remove ski rack from Suburban prior to entering underground parking garage...especially when Dalai Lama is in town and any other available parking involves a capital "T" trek.) I am so not a convention-kinda gal I expected to be positively claustrophobic at this event. And granted, I did long to be outside, given we were blessed with our one day of spring that day. But I have to say, the atmosphere was energizing and the array of information captivating. Very cool.

In the evening, I took a ferry over to the island where the marathon was taking place. Thanks to major traffic and ferry delays, I didn't check into my hotel until way late. Missed dinner, got just a few hours of sleep, and went into the race, once again, on nothing but adrenaline. Between that and the stress fracture in my leg, I honestly wasn't sure if I'd go the distance. One of these days I'm going to actually run this race prepared ~ including training on hills. A-a-a-c-c-c-k-k-k-k! I so hate running hills, and this is such a hill-y course. I slacked off altogether and walked a good bit. Didn't come close to finishing in the time I'd hoped. I've been training at 8:30/min miles and ran more like 9:30 miles, but whatever. Who cares that I met up afterwards with an acquaintance in her 50s who finished a full fifteen minutes ahead of me?:001_huh: And so what if I'm now officially sidelined until who knows when? I tried to run yesterday and made it four miles before giving up. Methinks I'm going to have to take a Real Break. The point is, I finished ~ and I appreciate your encouragement. Thank you!:)

Hans and the boys met up with me after the run, and then we spent a couple of days hanging out on the island. Messed around the beach and rode bikes a bit ~ nothing major, given the unsettled weather. But it was nice break ~ the first we've had in a long while. And then we deposited the boys with my parents for a night and checked in to a hotel in downtown Seattle. We had a to-die-for meal at a fund raiser dinner hosted by Organic Valley and generally recalled the fact that we actually do enjoy one another. So many of you have been praying for us, and these past few days have literally been an answer to prayer. I feel much more hopeful than I have in a long while.

I haven't been putting pictures up at my 365 blog as often as I did last year, but if you're interested in seeing a few from this week, you can check them out at http://www.colleen365.blogspot.com.

Didja miss me this week? (Just...say yes.;)) A few of you with good memories were wondering if I ended up doing the half marathon last weekend. The good news is...YES! Mind mastered matter and I lasted 13.1 ~ barely. I've had a really nice week and wanted to share here since some of you have been so faithful in your prayers and encouragement.

Last Saturday, while my guys were busy showing cattle at a local 4-H event, I headed down to the GreenFest in Seattle, where I worked at the Organic Valley booth. (Note to self: Remove ski rack from Suburban prior to entering underground parking garage...especially when Dalai Lama is in town and any other available parking involves a capital "T" trek.) I am so not a convention-kinda gal I expected to be positively claustrophobic at this event. And granted, I did long to be outside, given we were blessed with our one day of spring that day. But I have to say, the atmosphere was energizing and the array of information captivating. Very cool.

In the evening, I took a ferry over to the island where the marathon was taking place. Thanks to major traffic and ferry delays, I didn't check into my hotel until way late. Missed dinner, got just a few hours of sleep, and went into the race, once again, on nothing but adrenaline. Between that and the stress fracture in my leg, I honestly wasn't sure if I'd go the distance. One of these days I'm going to actually run this race prepared ~ including training on hills. A-a-a-c-c-c-k-k-k-k! I so hate running hills, and this is such a hill-y course. I slacked off altogether and walked a good bit. Didn't come close to finishing in the time I'd hoped. I've been training at 8:30/min miles and ran more like 9:30 miles, but whatever. Who cares that I met up afterwards with an acquaintance in her 50s who finished a full fifteen minutes ahead of me?:001_huh: And so what if I'm now officially sidelined until who knows when? I tried to run yesterday and made it four miles before giving up. Methinks I'm going to have to take a Real Break. The point is, I finished ~ and I appreciate your encouragement. Thank you!:)

Hans and the boys met up with me after the run, and then we spent a couple of days hanging out on the island. Messed around the beach and rode bikes a bit ~ nothing major, given the unsettled weather. But it was nice break ~ the first we've had in a long while. And then we deposited the boys with my parents for a night and checked in to a hotel in downtown Seattle. We had a to-die-for meal at a fund raiser dinner hosted by Organic Valley and generally recalled the fact that we actually do enjoy one another. So many of you have been praying for us, and these past few days have literally been an answer to prayer. I feel much more hopeful than I have in a long while.

I haven't been putting pictures up at my 365 blog as often as I did last year, but if you're interested in seeing a few from this week, you can check them out at http://www.colleen365.blogspot.com.

Oh, Colleen. I'm so happy! This is a wonderful post to wake up to, and I will continue to pray.

I'm a newbie here but just had to say WAY TO GO on running that marathon! Wow! My dream is to run in the Chicago marathon, but I don't know . . . You are inspiring! I'm actually in training to participate in a mini triathalon in June. I was getting discouraged this week, so glad I came across your post! Helps me to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Cheers!

Colleen,

I'm so happy for you, Hans and your family!

Aren't those reconnecting, "all is well" times wonderful--they sure help motivate and give me the courage to keep *working* on the relationship!

I've seen first hand the devastation that is wreaked on entire families when couples just give up and settle for a stand-off, so I keep working.

Sending very best wishes to you and yours,

Valerie

For now, my long run is four miles and I'm training to run the 1/2 marathon next January!

Last I heard, you were just getting back into the running groove. That's great that you have your eye on a running a half; is it in Michigan? You seem to be a natural at running (unlike some of us...ahem!), so I bet it'll be a piece of cake.

I feel compelled, after reading your kind replies, to reiterate that I only ran the half marathon. No way, no how could I tough out a full 26.2 miles. For years, running a marathon was one of my BHAGs (Big Hairy Audacious Goals), but I've scaled back. I honestly don't know that I ever want to devote that much time to training ~ or that I have the physical stamina. But who knows...!

Last I heard, you were just getting back into the running groove. That's great that you have your eye on a running a half; is it in Michigan? You seem to be a natural at running (unlike some of us...ahem!), so I bet it'll be a piece of cake.

LOL Apparently I make myself out to sound better than I am!! I ran in HS and college and haven't much since. I've worked out during that intermission from running though. My 4 mile is a walk/run and I finish in about 40 minutes. So, I'm not very fast!! The 1/2 marathon that I'd like to run is in FL - it's the one at Disney! We were there this year and I just loved the atmosphere (I didn't run). I actually met someone from these boards who ran it while we were there! It was so awesome to connect with someone like that! We'll be down there anyway and I figured I should give it a try.

Now I just need to figure out exactly how I'm going to train here in MI when the temp dips below freezing. That's just too cold for me to be outside running!

Anyway, great job again! And, I LOVE your pictures!

Apparently I make myself out to sound better than I am!! I ran in HS and college and haven't much since. I've worked out during that intermission from running though. My 4 mile is a walk/run and I finish in about 40 minutes. So, I'm not very fast!!

I just mean, you're the type who can get back into it and pick up pace pretty quickly. A heckuvva lotta people covet ten minute miles! The best (in terms of time) race I've ever had was a 24:50 5K, but I'm happy to keep a 9 min/mile pace in longer races. I try to be satisfied with just crossing the finish line and not worry about my time, but trying to improve my pace gives me the motivation I need to keep on keeping on.

The 1/2 marathon that I'd like to run is in FL - it's the one at Disney!

Aha! I was wondering why you'd aim for a half marathon in Michigan's January temps!:tongue_smilie:

Anyway, great job again! And, I LOVE your pictures!

Thanks so much!

It's good to see you back! Congrats on finishing the race. 13.1 miles is about...oh, say 13 miles farther than I could run right now. :001_unsure:

I'm so glad to hear that you had some time away with your family and with Hans. The pictures on your blog are beautiful - love the beach!

And then we deposited the boys with my parents for a night and checked in to a hotel in downtown Seattle. We had a to-die-for meal at a fund raiser dinner hosted by Organic Valley and generally recalled the fact that we actually do enjoy one another. So many of you have been praying for us, and these past few days have literally been an answer to prayer. I feel much more hopeful than I have in a long while.

].

Call me a shmuck, but I am seriously sitting here with eyes watering over this part of your post. Yay you. Yay Hans. Yay God.

The best (in terms of time) race I've ever had was a 24:50 5K, but I'm happy to keep a 9 min/mile pace in longer races. I try to be satisfied with just crossing the finish line and not worry about my time, but trying to improve my pace gives me the motivation I need to keep on keeping on.

!

That's an awesome time!!! Congrats!! I'm hoping to run a 5K in July and I'd love to finish in that time. (In high school I used to be able to do it in under 20 minutes. Now, I'd be happy to finish in 30!!!)

I haven't been putting pictures up at my 365 blog as often as I did last year, but if you're interested in seeing a few from this week, you can check them out at www.colleen365.blogspot.com.

Well Colleen I know I have missed seeing you around here! I am very impressed with your marathon run and time. I couldn't do it the shape I am in :glare:. So happy for you and Hans! I am sure that special time has been very uplifiting to you both.