Menu

The Potter's School: Apologia Physical Science and English I

I want to know more about The Potter's School classes for Apologia Physical Science and English I for an 8th grader.

We've never used Potter's School before, but I have friends who love taking classes with them.

Has anyone taken either of these classes? I have several questions:

Would you take both classes the same year or just one?

Which one would profit the student more for highschool prep?

What teachers would you recommend?

How much time would it take to do each class?

What is the workload like?

Would you rather choose to do Apologia just as a home study-not online?

How easy is it to adjust to doing school with Potter's School?

Is there a break in price if you take more than one class?

Thanks for any help!

My ds took Apologia Biology and English III with Potter's school his freshman year.

There is no discount for multiple classes.

We chose those classes because those were the subjects that realistically, I could not devote enough time to.

As far as work load and getting used to online classes~my son was pretty undisciplined at the time, so both were a challenge for him.

Teacher expectations made him tow the line pretty quickly, so in the sense of teaching accountability, the classes were a success.

Parents are expected to grade work, especially in English (grammar sheets.)

I would have preferred not to especially considering how much the class costs, but that's the way it was.

The English class completely turned ds's attitude around in regards to writing. He loves to write now.

We know several people who use Potter's school also, and a couple families (who have flying privileges) have taken their dc around the world to meet fellow students. Ds met a girl in one of his former classes when we were on vacation. The Potter's school is actually a very small, friendly community despite students being scattered around the globe!

We didn't take the classes you are looking at so can't recommend teachers, but we were happy with our teachers (Lavorante~now Meuser and McKeemon.)

Dd 8th is taking English 2 via TPS with Mrs. Frederick. She is wonderful and we are loving the class so far. Dd also takes Jr. High US History and Mrs. Runkle's World Geography class. We couldn't be more pleased with the content and layout of the classes.

I put dd's writing assignments on my blog. I label them Anna's Writing Assignments. She is currently working on a cause/effect essay on a topic of her choice. She chose China's one-child policy.

As far as work load and getting used to online classes~my son was pretty undisciplined at the time, so both were a challenge for him.

Teacher expectations made him tow the line pretty quickly, so in the sense of teaching accountability, the classes were a success.

This is why I am thinking about using Potter's School. I like the idea of a "real" teacher teaching subjects I might not teach well.

Parents are expected to grade work, especially in English (grammar sheets.)

I would have preferred not to especially considering how much the class costs, but that's the way it was.

I agree.

The English class completely turned ds's attitude around in regards to writing. He loves to write now.

I am hoping for the same response. We are using SWB's recommendations this year, and I am very pleased with this so far. Yet, I also want her to be prepared for the realistic amount of writing that will be expected of dd as she moves into high school.

I've also heard that Potter's School prepares students for writing on the SAT tests. Can anyone confirm this or comment about this?

I put dd's writing assignments on my blog. I label them Anna's Writing Assignments. She is currently working on a cause/effect essay on a topic of her choice. She chose China's one-child policy.

Thanks so much for posting this! I'll be sure to take a look! Do you feel that your dd is being prepared for SAT writing through Potter's School?

Anyone else? :bigear:

I'm happy to respond, as my son was signed up for those exact two classes last year. However, after you read each one of my entries, repeat the mantra, "all kids are different and this is just one family's experience..":)

I want to know more about The Potter's School classes for Apologia Physical Science and English I for an 8th grader.

We've never used Potter's School before, but I have friends who love taking classes with them.

Has anyone taken either of these classes? I have several questions:

Would you take both classes the same year or just one?

We were signed up for both of these classes, plus Latin.

Which one would profit the student more for highschool prep?

This just really depends...read on...

What teachers would you recommend?

My son and I both very much enjoyed all his TPS teachers. We didn't have any of the teachers currently listed on the TPS website for the two classes you are asking about. But, many of those names look familiar.

How much time would it take to do each class?

The online class time plus about another three hours per week.

What is the workload like?

Intense, but not busy-work.

Would you rather choose to do Apologia just as a home study-not online?

I would not have been able to teach from that Apologia book. Despite my college education, that science was WAY over my otherwise really intelligent brain:).

How easy is it to adjust to doing school with Potter's School?

For us, the adjustment was extremely difficult. Our first year, we did Writer's Workshop (WW) and almost quit. The amount of required parent involvement was extremely intense, especially the first two weeks. As other post-ers have indicated, using TPS does not completely eliminate parental participation. However, English 1 and the science class required less involvement than WW.

Is there a break in price if you take more than one class?

No price break.

Despite my seemingly negative responses above, our overall experience with TPS was extremely positive and I have written several positive posts on these boards about TPS. Had we not decided to send our oldest to school-in-a-building, he'd be doing three or four TPS classes this year. I highly recommend them.

However, the physical science class was way too hard for my son. Have you seen the textbook? Have you done Apologia General Science? I think if I had looked through the textbook first or if we had had some prior experience with the middle school Apologia curriculum, I would have known the TPS science class wouldn't be a match for my son. This is a great example of how each family and child are different. The science class might not be a stretch for your child, but it definitely was for us.

As for the parental involvement, once I realized (and submitted to:)) the fact that I still had to be involved, the balance of responsibility was fine.

I think TPS does an excellent job of preparing students for high school. The TPS classes my son took were far more rigorous and intense than the Jesuit school he is attending right now (which graduates more National Merit Scholars than any high school in northwest Ohio).

I am happy to answer additional questions, but I don't always check threads where I've posted and I rarely check my pm's. If you want to know more about our experience, feel free to email me at tlong6 AT woh dot rr dot com.

Thanks for any help!