Menu

Hormone-induced sadness remedy?

So suppose your hormones were out of whack... think 1st trimester or raging PMS... and suppose you were really sad for no reason. Just felt blah. And suppose it was affecting your everything: you had no desire to do the dishes, get dressed, smile, etc. Although not clinical depression because it only lasts a few days, what can you do about it? Is there a natural remedy or some sort of something that helps get over that slump?

*laying down waving the white flag*

If it was PMS, I would suggest trying 5-HTP at dinner - start with 50 mg and slowly up to 100 mg. If you do well with it with food, then you could move the time you take it to right before bedtime.

I would hesitate to recommend anything for pregnancy unless it was specifically approved by a Dr.

Thank you, Jean, I will look into that. No baby involved, but my body thinks there is. Thanks again!

Thank you, Jean, I will look into that. No baby involved, but my body thinks there is. Thanks again!

I agree with Jean, 5-htp is a good choice for mild depression.

Other things to consider:

Low vitamin D3 and low zinc can also exacerbate depression, so those supplements may help.

Vitex (an herb) is fantabulous for PMS and mood issues, but it's so mild that it takes 2-3 months to work for many women. (It's still worth doing, if it's appropriate for your situation, but you might need other more quick-acting things now, while the vitex effect builds up.)

Low progesterone is also implicated in PMS-y mood swings. Can you try some compounded progesterone cream (not wild yam)?

HIH,

Lisa