Menu

roasting pans

I am looking to buy my first roasting pan! I'm not much of a meat eater, but my teenagers need more meat. I want one with a lid that I could do chicken or beef in. Anyone have any suggestions. Oh, and it has to be a good price, or at least fabulous enough to be worth the investment. I want something non aluminum.

Thanks for the help

"Roasters" with lids are going to be too deep to "roast" (using dry heat) the food. Even without the lid too much moisture will be trapped and the meat will semi-steam. Add the lid and it is more or less a full-steam. Some meats take well to this treatment (braising) but it is not roasting. For that you want a shallower pan (3 inches or so) and a rack to lift the meat out of pan juices.

If you want to cook with wet-heat (with a lid) a terra-cotta cooker like a Rommertoff makes wonderful chicken and veggies, or moist meats from tough roasts. And they can often be had for a song at thrift stores and garage sales. Better than a thin metal roaster with lid.

Real roasting pans (thick with low sides, no lid) tend to be pricey.

Bill

I roast chicken, beef, pork on a rack over a shallow pan (to catch drippings) - no cover. Put a cover on and you are braising, not roasting, meat. I do not brown beef before roasting, either - it naturally browns to a delicious turn while in the oven! And - a good, reliable meat thermometer is your best friend.

Roast meat...yum!!!!!