Menu

CW Aesop B with a 6th grader?

melmichigan

What type of pacing would you use with this? The website listed the option of Aesop B, or Homer A and even B in 6th. I want a smooth beginning to this so I opted to try starting with Aesop but I am confused about the overall progression related to grade level. I can't imagine getting through all three books in a year. Is Aesop B and Homer A and then Homer B and beginning poetry next year realistic? How do you then get on track for the high school rotation, provided this curriculum works for us of course? ;)

What type of pacing would you use with this? The website listed the option of Aesop B, or Homer A and even B in 6th. I want a smooth beginning to this so I opted to try starting with Aesop but I am confused about the overall progression related to grade level. I can't imagine getting through all three books in a year. Is Aesop B and Homer A and then Homer B and beginning poetry next year realistic? How do you then get on track for the high school rotation, provided this curriculum works for us of course? ;)

If you want to get through all of them in a year, you want to start with the Older Beginners set. It cuts weeks and condenses what is being learned for an older student. Doing all the models would be too much. (BTW there is one model per week, the story the LA work revolves around.)

With a 6th grader you could do Aesop B then go into Homer A, but you wouldn't finish. Aesop B is 18 weeks of work, Homer A is 20 and Beginning Poetry A is 12 weeks.

If it makes you feel better my oldest, who is 7th grade and started in 4th grade is doing Homer and Beginning Poetry B, with 13 weeks before she finishes them. She isn't on the "ideal" path either, but she is learning. Because starting with the next level it is written to the student it will get done more, so we should be able to catch up, or I will cut Poetry down the road to catch up.

To expound further, we do a year around schedule. 2 weeks solid and then a week where the kids do independent work and I do scheduling/prep work, then 2 weeks solid and we all get a week off. That means in a 6 week cycle I only get Homer/Poetry done 4 of those weeks. Yearly she gets in 28-36 weeks of one on one work with me, usually closer to the 28 than the 36. She gets in 36-40 weeks of independent work, so that will allow her to get a few extra weeks in each year, catching her up.

Beyond that, even if she never catches up, she has learned so much already that she is vastly ahead of most the instruction I had as a child. I would spend so much time stuck on the bad sentence and couldn't figure out how to re-write it, skills my dd can now do in her sleep thanks to Homer. I am really excited about the how to choose content focus in Diogenes, which I never learned.

Heather

I think Older Beginners is too much for most 6th graders. I also think if you do

6th Homer A

7th Homer B

8th Diogenes Maxim

9th Diogenes Chirea

and so on you are really doing okay, the Diogenes levels get into essays.

If I decide to use CW for my current 5th grader he will do Homer A and Beg. Poetry A next year in 6th.

While I wish we had found it sooner, my 10th grader is doing Diogenes this year (I am hoping to get through both) and she is still learning so much.

I also would really encourage you not to miss the Poetry lessons, they are so much fun!

Edited by Mallory

If it makes you feel better my oldest, who is 7th grade and started in 4th grade is doing Homer and Beginning Poetry B, with 13 weeks before she finishes them. She isn't on the "ideal" path either, but she is learning. Because starting with the next level it is written to the student it will get done more, so we should be able to catch up, or I will cut Poetry down the road to catch up.

To expound further, we do a year around schedule. 2 weeks solid and then a week where the kids do independent work and I do scheduling/prep work, then 2 weeks solid and we all get a week off. That means in a 6 week cycle I only get Homer/Poetry done 4 of those weeks. Yearly she gets in 28-36 weeks of one on one work with me, usually closer to the 28 than the 36. She gets in 36-40 weeks of independent work, so that will allow her to get a few extra weeks in each year, catching her up.

Beyond that, even if she never catches up, she has learned so much already that she is vastly ahead of most the instruction I had as a child. I would spend so much time stuck on the bad sentence and couldn't figure out how to re-write it, skills my dd can now do in her sleep thanks to Homer. I am really excited about the how to choose content focus in Diogenes, which I never learned.

Heather

I think Older Beginners is too much for most 6th graders. I also think if you do

6th Homer A

7th Homer B

8th Diogenes Maxim

9th Diogenes Chirea

and so on you are really doing okay, the Diogenes levels get into essays.

If I decide to use CW for my current 5th grader he will do Homer A and Beg. Poetry A next year in 6th.

While I wish we had found it sooner, my 10th grader is doing Diogenes this year (I am hoping to get through both) and she is still learning so much.

I also would really encourage you not to miss the Poetry lessons, they are so much fun!

This helps a lot. :) I debated just starting with Homer or Older Beginner but this is my DD with AS, so I want a gentle start. She is very turned off of writing and LA in general right now.