Menu

History help again...what do you think about this plan?

Sue G in PA

We put MOH1 on the shelf until after baby is born. We're only 1/4 - 1/3 way through the book (just finished up Anc. Egypt). My original plan was to finish MOH this spring/summer before going into MFW ECC in August. Well, MFW ECC just came yesterday and I am soooo excited to start! It just looks like fun and a breath of fresh air into our stale hs. What do you think about this? I'd like to take the next few weeks to plan out ECC, purchase the remaining books I need, etc. (won't take much b/c it's already planned out for me!) and then start ECC in May. We are schooling year round so we would continue ECC in the summer at a slower pace, ramp up again in the Fall and hopefully finish ECC by late winter/early spring 2009. THEN, we could take the remaining few months before the 2009/10 school year to revisit and finish MOH1 before starting MFW RtR/MOH2 in Aug. 2009. The info would be fresh in my dc minds and make a smooth transition to MFW RtR, KWIM? What do you all think about this? Am I crazy to think we could actually get anything substantial done this summer? Thanks for your advice!

Only you can judge what your household will be like after you have the baby. For me, I feel like it's easier to do school after the baby comes than before. (Aside from maybe a 2 week break and hopefully get the night feedings down to one/night, LOL). I always feel better afterwards than I did before and my brain begins to clear somewhat and I feel that need to return to routine. If it's the same for you, then beginning ECC after the baby might be a good idea. And returning to MOH1 before you start RtR/MOH2 makes a lot of sense.

If you don't get to the end of MOH1, I wouldn't sweat it too much. You can still rely on your DW cds to catch your kids up through the rest of the OT - Divided Kingdom, Babylon, Persia, Greece, Rome, etc. They would at least have a skeletal knowledge. (My memory of MOH1 is foggy, but when we got to all the lessons on the prophets I felt like my 1st grader would relate more to kings, battles, and action - so that's what I did. I figure he can study the prophets when he's a little older).

I'm due July1 - I'm guessing you're due sooner than that. I had caffeine tonight - very bad idea - and now can't sleep, of course!

Good luck!

We put MOH1 on the shelf until after baby is born. We're only 1/4 - 1/3 way through the book (just finished up Anc. Egypt). My original plan was to finish MOH this spring/summer before going into MFW ECC in August. Well, MFW ECC just came yesterday and I am soooo excited to start! It just looks like fun and a breath of fresh air into our stale hs. What do you think about this? I'd like to take the next few weeks to plan out ECC, purchase the remaining books I need, etc. (won't take much b/c it's already planned out for me!) and then start ECC in May. We are schooling year round so we would continue ECC in the summer at a slower pace, ramp up again in the Fall and hopefully finish ECC by late winter/early spring 2009. THEN, we could take the remaining few months before the 2009/10 school year to revisit and finish MOH1 before starting MFW RtR/MOH2 in Aug. 2009. The info would be fresh in my dc minds and make a smooth transition to MFW RtR, KWIM? What do you all think about this? Am I crazy to think we could actually get anything substantial done this summer? Thanks for your advice!

I think this is perfect, and a very sound plan!

We're doing MFW ECC right now...and will be moving over to MOH1 next...then MFW R2R.

Having the MFW tm is a nice thing. It is a time saver for sure with not needing to plan. I'm sure that will be a blessing for you since it's one less thing to worry about while caring for a new little one.

I don't see anything wrong with your plan at all...in fact, I think it's quite the smart thing to do - lol. You might get more done in the summer than you think, and if not...just go with the flow of things. I find my children do better having school work in the summer. If we go more than 2 weeks with no school, they behave horribly. We're thinking of going year round, 9 weeks on...3 weeks off....

Congrats on the wee one to come!

Tab

I'm due July1 - I'm guessing you're due sooner than that. QUOTE]

Lynn, You mean you haven't read all my whiney posts? :D LOL! I'm OVERDUE! Baby was due last week, unless of course I miscalculated my due date or ovulated late or something weird like that!

Lynn and Tab, thanks for the reassurance that my plan isn't totally whacked! My brain MUST get clearer when the baby comes, b/c it can't get any foggier than now! I'm just so excited to "re-start" the year b/c I feel like nothing has worked and the dc just aren't/weren't excited about anything...MOH just being ONE of the programs that didn't excited them (I think History in general just isn't their "thing").

So, any more opinions on my wild and crazy plan? :D

Sue, I think it sounds like a good plan too! If something is going to "breathe life" into your homeschool, it's almost certainly a good idea. :D

As far as getting anything done this summer, I don't think you should feel pressured, but it's probably more possible to continue with school with something like MFW. My last baby was born mid-March ('05), and I pretty much ended school for the year at that point. I planned it that way, though, starting school almost immediately after finding out I was pregnant! So, I think you could do school with MFW's schedule, but that you shouldn't feel badly about taking whatever time you need after your baby is born.

Congratulations! I hope you have your baby soon!

Let us know how your family likes ECC!