Menu

I wonder why 7% of newborns have their own email addy

I can see the posting of photos in a variety of places in cyberspace, but I don't get why babies have email.

Presumably to "save" a certain email address for them. Like if I wanted to make sure Susi.ourlastname at gmail.com was available for my little Susi, I would register it. Seems a bit much to me LOL.

I thought it was interesting. Email for 7% of newborns

I can see the posting of photos in a variety of places in cyberspace, but I don't get why babies have email.

I am not really sure but my dd created not only an email address for our puppy but also a facebook page as well. :001_huh: She posts all of her pictures of him there.

We did it to save the name space on our longtime email service. Didn't cost anything -- we get 5 free spaces. Then grandpa went around and sent us a list of all the accounts he created for the babe on various free services (more accounts than I have!) So we can "keep them uP" -- we let those go.

We're just geeks and we set one up for each of the kids. We run our own mail servers so it was just a matter of giving them accounts.

OK, prepare yourself for ridiculous Silicon Valley geekiness: :tongue_smilie:

We also gave them web pages. Because we wanted to post nice pictures and such? No, that would be too normal.

The reason for the web pages is that search engines such as Google have very complex proprietary algorithms in order to determine the placements of search results. Often they give better placement to sites that have been in place longer (to downgrade junk spam sites) and that have more items linked to them (to demonstrate better content). My DH, who's a journalist and completes for Google placement on certain topics, and is even geekier than I am, figured we could give the kids a head start on whatever they wanted to publish later by giving them a history with the search engines. And he got his friends to link to their sites to increase their "juice".

Yes, this is a true story. You don't know what I live with. :D

We're just geeks and we set one up for each of the kids. We run our own mail servers so it was just a matter of giving them accounts.

OK, prepare yourself for ridiculous Silicon Valley geekiness: :tongue_smilie:

We also gave them web pages. Because we wanted to post nice pictures and such? No, that would be too normal.

The reason for the web pages is that search engines such as Google have very complex proprietary algorithms in order to determine the placements of search results. Often they give better placement to sites that have been in place longer (to downgrade junk spam sites) and that have more items linked to them (to demonstrate better content). My DH, who's a journalist and completes for Google placement on certain topics, and is even geekier than I am, figured we could give the kids a head start on whatever they wanted to publish later by giving them a history with the search engines. And he got his friends to link to their sites to increase their "juice".

Yes, this is a true story. You don't know what I live with. :D

Do you know how happy this makes me??? I'm not married to the only geek in the world! I'm so happy!