Menu

Need new mattress

We have an old queen and want to get a king. I've been reading about the posturpedic beds, Sleep number and traditional inter spring mattresses.

Any advice?

Ours in sunk in the middle and we desperately need a new one ASAP.

Thanks! :001_smile:

decided it wasn't worth the money. That's just our opinion. We have friends who LOVE it. When we tested it, dh and I's "sleep number" was so very close that we decided going with a regular mattress was more frugal. We went with a Sears-o-pedic pillow top (made by Sealy for Sears...basically the same as the Sealy Posturpedic). Dh and I love it. It took some getting used to b/c we had a waterbed before, but after a few weeks...we were both really happy with our choice. My advice is to go w/ your dh and test out several different models and decide on the one that is best for both of you! Happy shopping!

We have a temperpedic and love it. It sleeps warm but I always sleep cold so it is great for me.

My parents have a sleep number and love it.....I've slept on it one night and didn't care for it at all. I couldn't figure out how firm or soft to keep it.

I would also suggest going and laying on them.....not just for a few seconds but for minutes at a time. It is a big investment, they won't kick you out.

We tried a sleep #. I liked it, but my dh hated it and took it back (quite a feat!). The surface is different, and I don't think he liked the feel of sleeping on plastic.

Our best mattress ever was a Stearns & Foster top-of-the-line that did not have a pillowtop. (A few years ago it had become their second-to-top-of-the-line. It was wonderful to sleep on. My advice is to stay away from pillowtops because the pillowtops become compacted long before the rest of the mattress does. You can get the same effect by purchasing foam toppers and replacing them every couple of years when they become permanently dented.

I have found that mattresses that are too hard cause as many problems for me as mattresses that are too soft.

Mattresses are funny. I have discovered the hard way that they are very personal things. We had a 10 year old mattress with coils that were in sleeves and independent from each other. (Think the old bowling ball commercial.) We had to get rid of it and buy another due to moving and and an older home's stairwell. Well we bought a *pillow top* with the same inner coils independent from each other. Pillow tops did not exist back ten years ago - at least not for the common man like us. Well Dh loves it. I. do. not. It is very uncomfortable and I have tried many times to adjust. I wish I had asked about return policies and such. I would rather sleep on our Ds's 10 year old foam matress as I get a better sleep there.

I tried the mattress at the store but it is not the same. My experience with the pillow top is that it does not uniformily support my body. Ours has little divots where they sew it to the top of the mattress and I can feel them on my hips and shoulders while I am going to sleep. We have a Simmons but pillow tops are fairly common now.

Another thing I just thought of is that King sized beds come with two twin box springs. I can feel the box spring in my back when the kids come to sleep with us and I am in the middle. I think with pillow tops they suggest getting larger pillows to to support your head a little more. That might help me out.

I'd go for the posturpedic in a heart beat. Dh thinks the feeling is creepy. He would have helped to fix it but I did not complain enough. :angry:

Hope this helps just a little. Good night!

We have an old queen and want to get a king. I've been reading about the posturpedic beds, Sleep number and traditional inter spring mattresses.

Any advice?

Thanks! :001_smile:

What a timely thread ;)!

BTW, as an incentive for going the Sear's route, they are having a sale on their mattresses now. It was very tempting for me. :tongue_smilie:

We have a Comforpedic Mystere. We absolutely love it! It did take some getting used to, as you don't slide when you turn over like you do on a conventional mattress. It is basically a latex core, engulfed inside of a temperpedic mattress. I injured my back in 1991, and every morning since have awakened with a very stiff and painful back. Not anymore! This mattress has been a blessing. It was very pricey (about $3500), but worth every penny to me.

The poster "Once", had the best advice though. Go w/ dh and lay on lots of store mattresses together, spend at least 15 minutes on the ones you like, and decide together what will work for you.

hth

It was during a promotion, we had to buy it through the internet (not the store directly). It came out to about $1000 which seemed to be a significant savings over the regular price. The best part for us was that they delivered it for $75 which involved a day-long trip to get to us. Any other place would have charged a fortune to deliver to us in the middle of nowhere.

I know that Costco has the Tempurpedic mattress toppers also. My parents got one of these for their king bed. The kids and I slept in their bed when we visited them on spring break and it was like heaven.

We used the Costco mattress topper while I was pregnant w. dd. I swear that & the chiropractor seriously saved me. We no longer have it, but I bought a Sealy one off Overstock & it's great. The memory foam toppers are awesome!

Ours in sunk in the middle and we desperately need a new one ASAP.

This happened to our last mattress. Our bed frame is made of wood and only has a headboard, footboard, and two side rails. I think we may have gotten bad advice from the salesman who assured us that there was plenty of built-in support in the boxspring.

We just got a Tempurpedic mattress set and it weighs a lot more than our old set. We got a kit with cross supports and a center support "foot". If your bed doesn't have these additional supports it's probably a good idea to add them.

We bought a Sterns and Foster. I can't remember where we got it, but we bought it online and had it delivered. It was cheaper than buying in in a store. We've had it for over 5 years and it's holding up great. Sterns and Fosters are not cheap.

Shopping for a mattress is pretty hard because you can't really comparison shop. Manufactures use different names for the same mattress for different stores. It's crazy.

We bought a new mattress last year to replace our not well researched Beautyrest purchase several years ago. A few years ago we were mattress window shopping, and we were describing the issues with our then current mattress to the salesmen. Hubby and I about fell over when he said, "you have a Beautyrest don't you?" So... what's that tell you about Beautyrest? lol

Anyway, we replaced our former queen size piece of junk Beautyrest, lol, with a king size Serta last August that we got a very, very good deal on. And I am in love with this mattress!!

Hubby wanted absolutely nothing to do with either a complete memory foam/tempurpedic mattress, or sleep number, so it was traditional mattress, or nothing. Ours does have a memory foam topper built in though. My only regret is that we put off replacing it for so long. I haven't slept this well in years!

Perfect timing on this discussion for me as well!

My nightmare mattress I'm so ready to toss out the door is a Serta PerfectSleeper. It also is pillow top style, which I will never buy again! It's horrible. Now, after only 2 years, I'm back at square one trying to decide which one to buy and whether or not to go with a king. I too always swore no king for me but lately I've really enjoyed them on our trips. Never say never.

What mattress is best for pretty firm but not rock hard? I despise a soft mattress because they are uncomfortable from lack of support and on the rare occasion I want to sleep on my stomach my face is buried in the fluff. Impossible!

Let us know what you decided on and I'd love to hear more from others on their favorite mattresses.

I should say, in all fairness to Beautyrest, they may have improved how they make their mattresses since our purchase.

Our issues were that within about 5 years of the mattress being new, it just had not held up at all. We had rotated faithfully, and done everything we were supposed to, but it was already sagging, and was losing support. Overall it just should not have been in the shape that it was, considering it's fairly young age.

When we spoke with the salesman I mentioned previously - and btw, this place also sold Beautyrests, so he wasn't biased and trying just to get the sale - he said their beds were just not built for anyone over about 175 pounds. Well, hubby was around 210-220 at the time, and I average around (can't believe I'm sharing this! lol) 160 so I'm sure that contributed to the problem as well.