Menu

Do you ever feel like your kids are "curriculum dumb"?

HappyGrace

Sometimes we are going along and they're learning just great from all our curriculum. They love it and they're happy and learning a TON. Then I realize some major, common sense thing that they DON'T know because we've spent so much time on completing our curriculum! So it's like they only know what we've covered in the curriculum!

For instance, we're doing Ancients (TOG)-ds7-2nd grade-can locate all the bodies of water around Egypt, most of the countries of Africa, etc. Then the other day in a discussion I realized he doesn't exactly know the difference between a city and a state! And he's GREAT and advanced at math-can add and subtract with renaming into the thousands, etc., but in a co-op class the other day I realized he doesn't know cup, pint, quart, etc!

"Curriculum dumb"-my new term! :lol: (not that I'd say it to the dc, of course!!!) It's not totally accurate because of course they also learn in many other ways outside of curriculum, but you know what I mean!

:D Yes, I feel this way, but think about how many kids will come out of public school and not be able to find Egypt on a map at all, let alone have any idea of the bodies of water around it. This is important stuff. Just because a school kid spends about 3 years in lower elem talking about communities doesn't really mean its so valuable to spend THAT much time on all that. He'll get the city, state, country thing eventually. Especially when you do your American History cycle, right?;)

I realized the other day that I have been doing Miquon stuff with ds, and learning how to write number but totally forgot the whole idea of "calendar time" so he's still quite confused about days, weeks, months of the year. Oops.

Yes.

All educational choices will contain gaps. As a homeschool mom, I am just responsible for ALL of them...no one to blame but myself...sigh!:tongue_smilie:

As for me and mine, those gaps will NOT be in basic math, reading or writing...everything else is like a game of whackamole.:D

cup -ping!

pint- boink!

quart - BAM!

...and now back to our regularly scheduled math...

Sometimes we are going along and they're learning just great from all our curriculum. They love it and they're happy and learning a TON. Then I realize some major, common sense thing that they DON'T know because we've spent so much time on completing our curriculum! So it's like they only know what we've covered in the curriculum!

For instance, we're doing Ancients (TOG)-ds7-2nd grade-can locate all the bodies of water around Egypt, most of the countries of Africa, etc. Then the other day in a discussion I realized he doesn't exactly know the difference between a city and a state! And he's GREAT and advanced at math-can add and subtract with renaming into the thousands, etc., but in a co-op class the other day I realized he doesn't know cup, pint, quart, etc!

"Curriculum dumb"-my new term! :lol: (not that I'd say it to the dc, of course!!!) It's not totally accurate because of course they also learn in many other ways outside of curriculum, but you know what I mean!

Teach him to cook! Most 2nd graders do not know cup, pint, quart. I still struggle with some units of measure because I only learned metric in school. The U.S. was supposed be switching to metric, except we didn't. :lol: it doesn't help that troy weight is 12 ounces to the pound and avoirdupois is 16.

Yes.

All educational choices will contain gaps. As a homeschool mom, I am just responsible for ALL of them...no one to blame but myself...sigh!:tongue_smilie:

As for me and mine, those gaps will NOT be in basic math, reading or writing...everything else is like a game of whackamole.:D

cup -ping!

pint- boink!

quart - BAM!

...and now back to our regularly scheduled math...

:iagree: Yep, most things of that nature are pretty easy to explain as they come up, no worries here.:)

Yes! We have the exact same issue with city/country. When we were in England last week, he was so confused the London was a city in the country of England. Of course I was all crazy panicky thinking I had somehow failed. Then I reassured myself that most 3rd grade ps kids had only ever heard of England from the story of the Pilgrims and likely had never heard of London other than the character from The Suite Life TV show and gave myself a break. I also used it as a teaching opportunity to explain the two.

Actually, I think this is quite normal. I think it is much easier at that age to remember certain bodies of water than to understand the difference between state and country. It is a much more complex thing to understand this than it is to memorize names of places.

Susie

Right! And we're not done, right? I'm not surprised that my kids don't know it all yet. We've got several years to go to cover everything. Besides, at least I have time to help them when I realize they don't know something.

I have those moments of panic when I realize that there are SO many things that I wish I could just pour out of my head into theirs. Then I consider all the stuff that they are getting because they are NOT in school. I get to share all this great literature and time with them that they wouldn't get otherwise. I like the suggestion to have them cook more. That will definitely lend itself to measurements. Maybe someone should write a common sense math course that we can all do for a few weeks!:D

Oh yes!! I've had many instances with all the kids at different points! My biggest was I figured out this past summer my upcoming 3rd grader could not tell time! Ooops! Where did we miss that along the way? :confused:

I really like FLL 1/2 for some of these things. I'm doing FLL 1 with my 1st grader and there are a lot of things in there I wouldn't think to teach! We are STILL trying to get phone number and address down for most the kids! (the olders know the phone number).

When I first find these "little" things I gasp in horror. Then I chuckle to myself thinking... gosh.... I guess you DO have to teach that! ;)

Oh, I'm not at all worried about it. I just think it's funny when things like that pop up! :D

Oh, I think it's funny too...and sometimes I wish I could tsk tsk the ps system for my child's lack of common knowledge, but it's just me here.:tongue_smilie:

"What ARE they teaching you in school these days?"

"um...well the checklist YOU gave me mom says...." (doh!:001_huh:)

One afternoon last year we had a PS friend over, and he was writing something about George Washington on our dry erase board. I panicked for a second, because my kids don't really know who he is. Then I said, "who cares?? They know who Kublai Khan is!!" We'll get to George Washington this year in SOTW3, right?

I have those moments of panic when I realize that there are SO many things that I wish I could just pour out of my head into theirs. Then I consider all the stuff that they are getting because they are NOT in school. I get to share all this great literature and time with them that they wouldn't get otherwise. I like the suggestion to have them cook more. That will definitely lend itself to measurements. Maybe someone should write a common sense math course that we can all do for a few weeks!:D

I get those moments of panic too. Sometimes it seems so overwhelming, especially when I'm trying to explain something and realize I have to go back and explain other things for them to "get" what the answer to the original question is. But then I try to remember how MUCH they really do just pick up by osmosis and that *I* learned many of the things that cause those panicky moments by just living in the world, talking with my parents and others, and tons of reading. So I just keep putting one foot in front of the other, doing the next thing, and trying to answer their (millions of) questions as they come along.

A funny about the city/state thing--my 4 yo has been asking constantly if such-and-such a place is in Texas (where we live). We've talked about it a fair amount because they've both been playing an online US map game and he's been trying to get it sorted out, although it's still a bit abstract for him to really grasp. Anyway, after going over it again this afternoon, I talked to him about all the different states I'd lived in, and he was pretty impressed. Then he wanted to know if I'd lived in "George Washington." :lol:

We've had odd little gaps. I remember when my oldest was 10 a man at church asked him who my son wanted to win the Superbowl. My son asked the man, "What's a Superbowl?"

Arghhh!!! We live in the south. It's not socially acceptable to Not know about American football- but we don't have t.v. and my husband hates watching sports. It was time for some cultural education:)

Guest TheBugsMom

For the elementary age kids, I will get the book What your___ grader needs to know from the library every summer. I make a few notes. Then throughout the year we hit on some of it.

One thing I thought was neat is in the SL core IGs, they have a list of skills and things they should know at such and such age.

Hopefully this will make you feel better:

My 12 yo middle dd is very bright. She wanted to keep up with older dd, so her work has been 2-4 years ahead most of her homeschool career. BUT... a few years ago, we were looking at a giant table that was made out of a slice of wood, and someone said, "That must have been a big tree." She turned to us in amazement and said, "Wood comes from TREES?!" :001_huh:

We realize all the time that the 8 yo doesn't know something common. He is busy learning things from his sisters and me. He can solve a basic algebraic problem, but he has trouble with left and right. He can draw Africa and label many of the countries, but we realized the other day that he doesn't know our address. He can even vacuum the entire house perfectly, but can't pick out his own clothes. He is getting the most ridiculous education, skipping things and leaving gaps. :lol: I know he would fail first grade in school. :D

We just joke about, "Who IS your teacher, anyway. She's terrible." ;) :D

I am :lol: at some of these! Too funny!

It's like these kids are highly highly educated in most respects, but like Heather said, they would fail first grade in other things!

And yes, the cultural gaps are a WHOLE other ballgame. Two girls at ballet were looking at dd10 the other day like she had three heads because she had never heard of Justin Beiber (I think that's his name?)

Okay, I have to go teach my son who is almost 8 to tie his shoes. But that is not my fault, that is VELCRO's fault! :)

These are really cute stories. For myself, I have to admit that my first grader has the most awful time remembering teen numbers and any number of tens without ones. She can write 23, 47, 69, etc., but if you ask her to write 20 or 30, she looks at you like you're crazy. Same for reading them. The teen numbers have her all for a loop, too. I blame that on Rightstart, I guess, since it had her calling things ten-one, ten-five, etc. If I say a number the RS way, she knows how to write it. She's finally just now getting better at writing and reading numbers the regular way, but I was a little worried there for a couple months. lol

It is comforting to know that there will always be a gap somewhere. Some gaps are just more embarrassing to the teacher than others. Our story that will follow me forever is when ds (7) was watching the World Cup with dh earlier this year and asked him what Ussa was. After explaining what U.S.A. means, dh gave me a terrible time! :lol: We had talked about the United States, America, and the United States of America. Apparently I missed the initials. Oops!

I am :lol: at some of these! Too funny!

It's like these kids are highly highly educated in most respects, but like Heather said, they would fail first grade in other things!

And yes, the cultural gaps are a WHOLE other ballgame. Two girls at ballet were looking at dd10 the other day like she had three heads because she had never heard of Justin Beiber (I think that's his name?)

Okay, I have to go teach my son who is almost 8 to tie his shoes. But that is not my fault, that is VELCRO's fault! :)

:001_smile:

My dd5 is going to have to teach ds7 how to tie his shoes...she wanted to know, he would rather dig a hole to china in the backyard (in his bare feet). Dd5 always reverses our city and state, it is so cute how she says it, but I'm sure others think who is your teacher when they ask her where she lives (she always says the state and then the city).

My worst moment was when our dd, at the age of 7, yelled across the soccer field, "mommy, how do we spell our last name?" It only has 5 letters in it! :eek: I wanted to turn to nearby parents and say something like "no, really, ask her anything about China, dinosaurs, or frogs! Oh, and hippos, she's practically an expert, I swear! Ask her to multiply!" :blush: