Menu

I have a dilemma and need The Hive's help

DS (5) takes enrichment classes. One of these classes (meets once a week for an hour) is a geography class in which he is supposed to learn the states. He is coming home having been introduced to 3 states each week. He has homework (2-3 pages per state) that must be done. On these homework sheets are questions regarding the state bird, state beverage, state insect, etc. - questions that I consider trivia. I am the one sitting at the computer looking up the questions - not quite ready for a 5 year old to be googling all over the place.

Last night, all the parents received an email from this geography teacher stating that the children do not know the information and that we, as parents, need to take a more active part in reviewing all the information. I do not mind drilling information on states with DS, but am I off base when I am thinking this is mindless trivia? I am a retired teacher and DH is a teacher. We are not getting a good feeling about this class or the requirements.

What does the Hive think? Appropriate content and amount of material to be learned for 1st and 2nd graders? Or are we just being overly critical and should just tell DS to suck it up and learn the material?

Thanks for your advice.

Many kids enjoy learning this type of trivia; others don't. I don't see it as a question of whether or not it's WORTH learning, but whether or not YOU and ds find it worth learning.

Lots of variables here: cost of class, accurate description or not of class ahead of time, does ds enjoy learning the info, what happens if he continues class without memorizing it, etc.

If the class description simply said, "Students will learn about the states in a fun way!" or similar, then I don't know that I would expect the teacher to change the lesson plans. Learning the state flags and so on is a very common project for young kids; it's what I would likely expect unless the description stated differently.

It's 'appropriate' content; I can't tell from the post if the amount of memorization per week is appropriate. Maybe speak to other parents to get a feel for it. It's quite possible the teacher hasn't dealt with this age group or type of class, and it would be fine to let her know if many of the kids are struggling with the memorization. I would say that, while this type of project is very common, I don't think many kids actually memorize much of it. Maybe one aspect they find interesting, such as the state motto or state bird, but not all of it.

I think it is appropriate enough for a 2nd grader but not a 5yr old and I probably wouldn't push it for a 1st grader either. I'm surprised the teacher is pushing it. You could try playing Great States or Scrambled States to review the basic states and capitals stuff. I think that stuff is usually covered in 3rd or 4th grade.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Really? For a 5-year old? It would be one thing if the trivia was presented instead of having to be looked up. What 5-year old has those skills?

Ditch it.

Yes. And furthermore...

I think states and capitals should be learned by all at some point.

I think state birds, trees, etc. for any other state but your own is too trivial to bother with at any age.

I think it's absolutely absurd to drill this trivia into a 5 year old unless said child enjoys it and has a natural affinity for this particular challenge at this particular time.

I am a retired teacher and DH is a teacher. We are not getting a good feeling about this class or the requirements.

What does the Hive think?

This little bee thinks Mama and Papa know best. ;)

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

He's 5. Does he even understand the concept of a state? sheesh. Some are saying it's more appropriate for 2nd grade, but I clearly remember not learning about states until 5th grade...and we drove from coast to coast several times before then.

I, too, think it's silly to drill on state birds, et c. I think knowing the states, capitals, and locations is important. I think that reading about the other stuff is kind of interesting but not worth memorizing. I think a better use of time for that other info is to work on developing good research skills so that when you actually do one day need to know the state beverage of Oklahoma, you'll have the skills to find out easily.

Now, what constitutes good research skills for a 5 year old might be remembering to say please when asking mommy. I dont' know . . . with my girl at 11, I can't remember what I expected at 5.

Some things need to be memorized. Some things don't. For me and mine, state beverages don't.

Play Great States Junior or put together a puzzle map. He will know the states, their shapes, and locations in no time. He may even know capitols and a bit of trivia about each state.

At age 5, he does not need to know state birds, insects, etc. If he is interested, fine. Otherwise, cover your state in 3rd or 4th grade. The ABC books about states are great for this type of information - B is for Buckeye (Ohio), M is for Maple Tree (Vermont), etc.

Yes. And furthermore...

I think states and capitals should be learned by all at some point.

I think state birds, trees, etc. for any other state but your own is too trivial to bother with at any age.

I think it's absolutely absurd to drill this trivia into a 5 year old unless said child enjoys it and has a natural affinity for this particular challenge at this particular time.

:iagree:

I agree with all the "I agrees." That's just silly. Bleah. Does the teacher have all that stuff memorized??? :tongue_smilie: And to what end? OY! I think knowing that there ARE states, and gaining some familiarity with the US map is all a 5-year-old really needs to do. More if they're really into it, of course.

Thanks everyone for your input. He already knows all of his states and capitals and where they are on a map. He kind of taught himself that during the summer on a free website. (He wanted to be prepared for the class :lol:) I really thought the class would just solidify that knowledge and take one thing off my plate :tongue_smilie:.

DH and I will talk this evening. I have a feeling DS will not longer be attending this particular class.