Menu

Is anybody here doing Abeka?

I am considering it in lieu of Saxon. I am just trying to figure out if I need all 6 books?? There is just the book (Algebra, Pre-Algebra, etc...), teacher key, solution key, test and quiz book, test and quiz key, and then whatever the math is curriculum book?? It makes no sense to me why they need a Pre-Algebra book and the a Pre-Algebra curriculum. And adding them all up, looks more expensive then Saxon :confused:

Very few homeschoolers use ABeka for high school math. ABeka did not write their own program--they purchased rights to Heath Mathematics texts written in 1914!

You can search for my previous posts for more details... but in short it is not a strong program it needs to be supplemented and their Geometry text is the WORST math text I've ever seen (certified, experienced Math teacher and math-text collector...).

If you want a strong, inexpensive program then look into Lials. You can get 8th edition texts easily for under $20 shipped. The text is all that is needed--but other supplements exist if you desire. The student text has all necessary teaching and answers.

Last year we used Abeka for Algebra 1 and ds hardly retained a thing. Every day was a struggle and he hated doing it, and barely passed.

Jann in TX recommended the Lial's program for Algebra. I picked up Intro and Intermediate, in case DS wasn't ready for Alg 2. It was cheap enough. He is THRIVING with this curriculum and the other day he said to me that he looks forward to doing Alg and LOVES doing it! He LOVES ALGEBRA NOW! Do you know how happy that makes me?? Yay!!! We are working on the Intermediate level and the self-teaching style is great.

Jann, TY so very much for your emails to me and recommendations.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Very few homeschoolers use ABeka for high school math. ABeka did not write their own program--they purchased rights to Heath Mathematics texts written in 1914!

You can search for my previous posts for more details... but in short it is not a strong program it needs to be supplemented and their Geometry text is the WORST math text I've ever seen (certified, experienced Math teacher and math-text collector...).

If you want a strong, inexpensive program then look into Lials. You can get 8th edition texts easily for under $20 shipped. The text is all that is needed--but other supplements exist if you desire. The student text has all necessary teaching and answers.

Curious about your opinion on this:

http://homeschool.kineticbooks.com/algebraOne.php

but in short it is not a strong program it needs to be supplemented and their Geometry text is the WORST math text I've ever seen (certified, experienced Math teacher and math-text collector...).

Jann, I am so glad to "hear" you say this! As a fellow math teacher, tutor, and text-collector, I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, I have made it my personal policy to never again tutor a student who is using an A Beka math text.

Last school year I had a moment of insanity and agreed to work with a student who had begun the year with A Beka Geometry. I couldn't believe some of the stuff in that text, such as multiple theorems about the left and right sides of angles, and what happens when the right side of one angle is adjacent to the left side of another, or two angles' right sides are adjacent, or ...... Never again!

I agree with Jann! Using The Lials book has helped me so much, they have excellent explanations and the book doesn't baby you through the work. This book has helped me learn algebra quite well, and now geometry seems a lot easier than it was before.

Thank you so much Jann! I would reccommend that you buy this book and the solutions manual, I bought the book for $9 bucks, and it came out to $12 for shipping and handling. That's a steal!