Menu

Before I press buy...Science Excursion is it worth it?

hsmom

I returned mine. I really thought it looked great too. But when I got it there were some things that really bothered me. First, I felt like the author doesn't have a clear understanding of what is age appropriate. My daughter is very science focused for her age (7). She regularly reads and understands science books well above her target age. But in the SE lesson we found that either the information was in the 'duh' category or she wrote in such a way that a young child couldn't possibly understand what she was saying: neglecting to define terms or using terms to define themselves etc. We did a few lessons (without writing in the workbook or using the experiment stuff since I was pretty sure I was going to return it) and basically I took the topic and just told her about it. Some lessons seemed better than others as I read through the book but enough missed the mark that it would have bothered me. They were also not very engaging. Like I said, my daughter loves anything science and found the lessons dull.

A couple of other things bugged me too. The activity pages were pretty amateurish. One lessons we did had the student labeling the earth with the season based on the position of the earth. It was just a pencil drawn circle. She didn't even put in a Sun so I had no idea what we were supposed to label. It's not like I didn't understand the concept but the activity page was so poor that I really couldn't figure out what was what. And finally, but probably least significant, was the organization of the supplies. If this had been my only problem, I probably would have kept it but it was annoying. You get a box full of stuff in little zip-lock bags. They are labelled but only with what is in them. No association to particular labs so you it seemed like it would get really old rifling through that box trying to find the tiny ziplock that has what you need. I returned it so I don't really know how bad that part would be but it seemed like it could be a problem.

Heather

I don't know what level you were considering but if you want to try it with less expense, a friend of mine is selling her Intermediate level only slightly used on the WTM For Sale board. Sometimes buying used is a better option when you aren't 100% sure and the expense is big. That way the cost is less in case you end up not thrilled.

Heather