Menu

The things I never knew about my spouse . . . anyone else?

We've been married for 22 years and after all this time, I really thought I knew pretty much everything there was to know, however . . .

All of our married life my dh has been very willing to help out in the kitchen, he often does the dishwashing for me (yea!) but one of my pet peeves is that he never washes out the sink afterwards so there are always those little food scraps laying around cementing to the bottom of our sink. I try to remember to follow up with this and I'd mentioned it several times (probably more than several - LOL) but never a change.

Last night, I was cleaning the sink after he had washed the dishes and had a flashback to when I was a kid and hated washing out the sink because it just grossed me out and it suddenly hit me - it completely grosses him out to wash all those little food particles out of the sink! I asked him and he just grinned and said "I'm trying to get over it."

Why does it feel better to do it for him knowing that information? I don't know, but it does :)

So, what have you found out about your spouse lately that you never knew before?

After 13 years of marriage I found out that my husband is AWESOME at PING-PONG!! We were over a friend's house, they had a ping-pong table in their basement so he starts playing against my friend's husband. I just stood there, mouth agape...he was incredible.Then he tells me he played all the time when growing up. You just never know... :D

My DH told me just this week that he had a lot of facial movements when he was a kid...not tics but things he started doing but couldn't stop, like opening his jaw really wide or scrunching up his face.

He also blinked a lot, which he couldn't control.

The kids at school called him Blinky, just to be jerks. :crying:

Kids called me Babs which was short for Baboon Butt because I had such a big rear end. I didn't weigh over 100 lbs until I was almost 17 but I swear my @$$ weighed 20 lbs by itself.

I looked at DH and said, "Babs and Blinky Get Married: A Special Love Story."

Oh, how we laughed! :lol:

We've been married for 22 years and after all this time, I really thought I knew pretty much everything there was to know, however . . .

All of our married life my dh has been very willing to help out in the kitchen, he often does the dishwashing for me (yea!) but one of my pet peeves is that he never washes out the sink afterwards so there are always those little food scraps laying around cementing to the bottom of our sink. I try to remember to follow up with this and I'd mentioned it several times (probably more than several - LOL) but never a change.

Last night, I was cleaning the sink after he had washed the dishes and had a flashback to when I was a kid and hated washing out the sink because it just grossed me out and it suddenly hit me - it completely grosses him out to wash all those little food particles out of the sink! I asked him and he just grinned and said "I'm trying to get over it."

Why does it feel better to do it for him knowing that information? I don't know, but it does :)

So, what have you found out about your spouse lately that you never knew before?

My dh started doing the dishes when I was pregnant and I could smell the little scraps of food in the sink from my upstairs bedroom in the morning. It made me so sick.

He is still doing them 17 years later even tho' I am well over the morning sickness!

I just found out that my dh is a sharpshooter! I don't even know if that term is correct or not. He'd never handled a gun except a couple of brief times when he was a Boy Scout back when he was 16 or so. He's 48 now. This past spring our 15 yo became really interested in shooting sports. He took classes through 4H. So dh volunteered to take him to a shooting range where they do those clay pigeons, you know??? Anyway, the instructor asked my dh if he knew how to shoot and my dh, feeling very intimidated, mumbled something about no, not really. So they guy showed him and then they released the clays or whatever they are called and my dh hit it! And again and again! He never missed! The instructor was dumbfounded! Turns out my dh is a real crackshot and all his life he never even knew it!

I swear when he got home, he was swaggering like a cowboy! LOL!

I didn't find this out recently... but it took almost 10 yrs of marriage for me to learn/him to tell me. There used to be several meals that "d"h just wasn't too enthusiastic about kwim? He did eat them, but never as much as he normally ate and the leftovers just sat in the fridge even when he was hungry. Turns out, he just didn't like cream of chicken soup or anything made with it! It was one of the main staples of my pantry and I LOVED using it because I liked it. Don't know why he waited so long to tell me he just didn't like it at all... I switched to cream of celery and everything was good to go, lol!

After 17 year of marriage I discovered that my dh has weird issues about his socks. When he takes them off, and if he thinks he might need to slip them back on later for any reason, he puts his left sock in his left shoe and his right sock in his right shoe. If the socks fall out and get mixed up he does not want to wear them anymore. For some reason, this is gross to him.

I laughed so hard! How did I not know this for 17 years! It is so unlike everything else about him.

The kids picked on him for a little while, mixing up his socks and then not telling him until he had put them back on. He has taken it very well. LOL

After 17 year of marriage I discovered that my dh has weird issues about his socks. When he takes them off, and if he thinks he might need to slip them back on later for any reason, he puts his left sock in his left shoe and his right sock in his right shoe. If the socks fall out and get mixed up he does not want to wear them anymore. For some reason, this is gross to him.

I laughed so hard! How did I not know this for 17 years! It is so unlike everything else about him.

The kids picked on him for a little while, mixing up his socks and then not telling him until he had put them back on. He has taken it very well. LOL

:lol: This is hilarious! What your kids did is something I would have done myself....yeah, I'm immature!

I didn't find this out recently... but it took almost 10 yrs of marriage for me to learn/him to tell me. There used to be several meals that "d"h just wasn't too enthusiastic about kwim? He did eat them, but never as much as he normally ate and the leftovers just sat in the fridge even when he was hungry. Turns out, he just didn't like cream of chicken soup or anything made with it! It was one of the main staples of my pantry and I LOVED using it because I liked it. Don't know why he waited so long to tell me he just didn't like it at all... I switched to cream of celery and everything was good to go, lol!

This reminds me of the time I noticed my dh wasn't so enthusiastic about the big bowl of cantalope on the table. I served it all the time! Turns out he didn't really like it at all.

Uh, why not just tell me? :confused: It was nothing personal!

Your post reminded me of this song from the play based on "All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten."

It's not a great recording - I can't seem to find one - but you'll probably get a kick out of the lyrics.

ETA: Found the lyrics:

After the dishes are washed, the soap rinsed away,

in the strainer at the bottom of the sink there sits

What I will, for the moment, call some "stuff."

Now any rational, objective person would say

This is simply a mixture of bits of food which are not small enough

To go down the drain comprised of carbohydrates, fiber, fat and protein.

Furthermore, the person might think this stuff has already been sterilized

In the cooking, and then rinsed clean with suds and hot water in the sink.

But any teen who's ever been forced to the dishes against his wishes

Will testify this explanation's a lie.

He will profess that gooey mess is a toxic catastrophe

A deadly calamity

To any rational guy or girl,

It's enough to make you hurl.

About my mom, whatever else I might say

She'll reach into that strainer any old day,

And pick up that lethal gunk with her bare hands...

And drop it in the garbage, no ifs, buts or ands.

To top that, I once saw her drag her fingers through the wet garbage bag,

Searching through that sludge with care

For an old teaspoon that fell in there...

A kind of reckless bravery

She found the spoon eventually in a soggy clump of coffee dregs

Mixed with chicken fat and scrambled eggs, some vegetable soup and acorn squash

I almost passed out when she gave it to me to wash.

Once my French teacher happened to feature the word "ordure"in a lesson.

It meant "disgusting mess," and let there be no doubt I knew what she was talking about.

I see that ugly sight in the strainer every night.

When my mother heard my exciting new word during dishwashing duty,

She gave me a snooty "my son the idiot" look right out of the book

And said she had the suspicion that the food I had just eaten

was at that very moment in my stomach in just about the same condition...

Rotting!!

No matter what my mother thinks, it should be stressed

That stuff is lethal and septic. I'm convinced, if you ever accidentally touch it,

you must never touch the rest of your body with your hands until you've scalded, soaped, and rinsed.

Even worse, I know that little heap could congeal and mutate into a life form, that could creep out of the sink and come after when you're asleep.

My dad never came within three feet of the sink in his life.

He was just lazy, in the opinion of his wife.

But I knew that he knew what I knew about the gunk.

I told him once, "Somehow I doubt that Jesus ever had to clean that gunk out."

He agreed, my dad.

It was the only theological discussion we ever had.

Edited by Kathleen in VA

My husband doesn't like Twizzlers! Who knew?? All these years I was under the impression that he really liked them!

Tara

I just found out after 22 years of marriage (anniv tomorrow!) that my dh doesn't like candy corn.:001_huh: WHAT?!?! My little precious son said, while munching on a candy pumpkin, that if they actually tasted like pumpkin Daddy would love them!:D

My husband didn't know there were no snakes in Ireland. Maybe this is common for people to not know, but I always knew and thought everyone did, you know? Anyway, I mentioned it offhand, in the context of another conversation, can't remember what. And he was all :confused::confused: What do you mean there are no snakes in Ireland?? He thought I was just making up random stuff out of nowhere. He was literally laughing at me, and I was laughing at him. Then he looked it up. :p

Amazing thread!

Last year,

Yeah, I took my kids to a free archery lesson...bows, and arrows, I had never even seen one.

My hubby says, "oh, I used to have a bow, long ago."

Really, that's cool

My interested waned.

The following Monday, he says, "Hey I can go with you to the archery."

Yeah, cause it is torment to this momma, sit in the back and pretend to be interested.

He goes, chats with an instructor, they have him shoot, and he is like a super duper marksman!!

The best part???

He takes the kids now every Monday, I get 2 hours of no one in the house....NO ONE but meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

They let him shoot and I never knew he had even shot an arrow?

20 years married!:lol:

I'm embarassed to say that I do this too. :blushing: I don't know why it bothers me if my socks get mixed up.

My DH told me just this week that he had a lot of facial movements when he was a kid...not tics but things he started doing but couldn't stop, like opening his jaw really wide or scrunching up his face.

He also blinked a lot, which he couldn't control.

The kids at school called him Blinky, just to be jerks. :crying:

Kids called me Babs which was short for Baboon Butt because I had such a big rear end. I didn't weigh over 100 lbs until I was almost 17 but I swear my @$$ weighed 20 lbs by itself.

I looked at DH and said, "Babs and Blinky Get Married: A Special Love Story."

Oh, how we laughed! :lol:

:grouphug: and :lol:

This just made me snort coffee...Dh and I have similar stories that crack us up...think of me...short, round and glasses...they called me and my brother meatball and spagetti !! OY!

My DH has always disliked soccer as a sport. He never cared to watch it on tv, and wasn't very enthusiastic when my DD became interested in playing. That is all I have known since I've known him. Well, just the other day, the father of one of my girls' softball teammates came up to me and told me to tell my DH that his soccer team was playing on the weekend and they wanted him to join the team. I agreed to pass on the message, but I was thinking, "Okay, buddy, I'll tell him but I doubt you'll ever see him on a soccer field." Then the guy goes on to tell me that DH told him that he used to play and was an excellent goalie. It took a lot of self control not to laugh, and I told him that was news to me, while making a mental note to talk to DH about telling tall tales and getting this poor guy's hopes up that he'd play on his team. So when we got home from practice, I started to get on DH's case about the lying. DH then tells me he wasn't lying and that he was in fact a good goalie. In fact the HS soccer coach tried to recruit him after watching him play one weekend. He said that he would try to get his friends to play football on the weekends, but they often played soccer, since these guys were on the soccer team and preferred it to football. So after 12 years of marriage, I learned that DH is a pretty good goalie who hates the sport. He's going to join the team, btw, on his free weekends.

I never knew my husband was good at sports. He doesn't do anything regularly but golf. Recently at a picnic, he jumped into a volleyball game, and he was amazing! He has taken up skiing and ice skating late in life, and is good at them as well. He's an excellent bowler even though he only goes every couple of years. I guess he's a natural athlete. Who knew? :)

After 27 years of marriage we were listening to Classic Rewind (or maybe it was Classic Vinyl) on XM radio in the car, and, get this, dh knows ALL the words to Smoke on the Water! Sheesh, I didn't think ANYONE knew anything but the chorus.

Apparently back in high school he and another guy were going to form a band, and that was going to be one of the songs they played. He was supposed to do keyboard. So, of course, when we got home I printed out the sheet music for it, and guess what -- he really stinks at playing it. No wonder that was a failed effort.

I just found out why dh doesn't complete household chores. For example, I would say "Dh, please help me clear the table." He would then clear the table with the exception of one or two items. :001_huh:Or I could say "Dh would you help bring in the groceries?" He would bring in all but one bag. :confused:This went on for 17 years.

Come to find out that the problem was me asking him to "help". According to dh, helping is not doing. It is wrong to do an entire job yourself if you are helping. If I help the kids with a math problem, I don't do it for them do I? If I ask him to do something, not help, then he will do the entire job. Now I know.:tongue_smilie:

Your post reminded me of this song from the play based on "All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten."

It's not a great recording - I can't seem to find one - but you'll probably get a kick out of the lyrics.

ETA: Found the lyrics:

QUOTE]

Thank you so much!!! This cracked me up!!! I'm going to forward it to my dh.

I just found out why dh doesn't complete household chores. For example, I would say "Dh, please help me clear the table." He would then clear the table with the exception of one or two items. :001_huh:Or I could say "Dh would you help bring in the groceries?" He would bring in all but one bag. :confused:This went on for 17 years.

Come to find out that the problem was me asking him to "help". According to dh, helping is not doing. It is wrong to do an entire job yourself if you are helping. If I help the kids with a math problem, I don't do it for them do I? If I ask him to do something, not help, then he will do the entire job. Now I know.:tongue_smilie:

Hmmm . . . I may have this issue at my house too. I'll have to try changing my wording. It makes sense in a weird sort of way :)

Guest Dulcimeramy

I didn't know that my husband was color-blind until we'd been married over 10 years!

I knew that he was beyond persnickety about his laundry. It had to be folded a certain way and sorted according to color, in both the closet and in the dresser drawers.

He'd blamed it on his years in the Navy, so I went along with his laundry preferences even though the fussiness was out of character for him.

Well, I put the clothes away in the wrong places once. And he came unglued when he realized he'd worn totally clashing clothes to work.

That same week, we were at the park and I pointed out a beautiful tree to him. It happened to have my favorite color green leaves and my favorite color pinkish-red berries. It was so pretty!

He couldn't see it. He could see the tree branches, but he could not see the color of the leaves or the color of the berries.

So, about the laundry: He orders from catalogs or asks clerks at stores about the colors of his clothes and whether they coordinate. Then he only has to keep them sorted at home according to what he was told.

It was hard for him to admit to me that he couldn't see colors. And I immediately took over the job of keeping his colors organized and predictable.

I'd always wanted to take up art. So my dh and I signed up for acrylic painting lesssons. My dh, the engineer, the farmer, the softball playing redneck, the geek...

he can paint better landscapes than I can.

:glare:

It really made me mad at first, but I'm over it now. The most annoying thing...he really doesn't care whether he does it or not.

we'd been married 12years before I found out that he can paint.

Well, I have not been married as long as you all, but after 6.5 years of marriage I found out my husband is allergic to penicillin.

Even though he often went to Peds check ups with me and the kids, and the Dr always asks about a family history of allergies to medicine, he never once mentioned it. Then our youngest got a really bad ear infection that had to be treated and he had an allergic reaction to the penicillin. That was what finally prompted my husband to bring up that he too is allergic to penicillin:001_huh:.

I'd always wanted to take up art. So my dh and I signed up for acrylic painting lesssons. My dh, the engineer, the farmer, the softball playing redneck, the geek...

he can paint better landscapes than I can.

:glare:

It really made me mad at first, but I'm over it now. The most annoying thing...he really doesn't care whether he does it or not.

we'd been married 12years before I found out that he can paint.

Ok, I'd be totally PO'd about that.

Actually, I already am: I can't read music, after trying (and failing) to play two different instruments. DH decided he wanted to learn an instrument in COLLEGE - at 23? 24? And now he plays the harp. Grrr.

a

I ALWAYS carefully check my socks and make sure I put them on the right feet.... even after they're fresh from the dryer. I simply cannot stand for the part of the sock that has been extended a bit by my big toe to then flop around with extra material around my little toes. If my dd accidentally wears my socks instead of hers and stretches the wrong side of the sock out, I just let her have them, lol!

After almost 10 years of marriage, I find out that dh was short until he was around 13. Then he shot up and grew up to his full height of 6'1 1/2". He told me when the pediatrician said our ds was most likely not to grow past 5'10" (he's the shortest Cub Scout in his troop, but granted, he's also one of the youngest). I thought he was always tall, like his youngest brother.

We were married for maybe 5 years when I discovered that he can walk on his hands! I doubted it until he popped up and walked around the OUTSIDE of the whole house on his hands! Now 15 years later he just did it to entertain the kids the other night. Boy were they speechless!

About three years ago, I became aware of the fact that my hubby is particularly fond of well endowed women. Needless to say, I am not. His ex-wife is not. None of his previous girlfriends are either. He never mentioned it which was actualy very kind of him considering the fact that there is not much I can do about the fact but it absolutely amazes me that he never mentioned the fact in almost 20 years of marriage. Not even during the six times that I was breastfeeding and very well endowed in indeed. :001_huh:

I honestly believe that is about the only thing I was not aware of. On the other hand, he probably knows more about me than I do. Heck, if it wasn't for the fact that the rest of the family has an amazing memory of all the crazy things I have done, I probably wouldn't know much about myself at all. ;)

There was a guy on tv who labeled each pair of socks by number. Then he labeled each sock in the pair with a L or R so that the socks would wear evenly. It was on a show like the marriage ref or shark tank.

My husband numbers all of his running socks to make it easier to match up, but he doesn't mark L or R. His dad does the same thing.

He does his own laundry. ;)

Mine is sad.

A family relative recently turned 21. We were sitting around talking about what we did on our 21st b-days. DH's has very sad. He spent it in a fox hole, listening to explosions all around, while he sung "Happy Birthday" to himself. The following day it was his shift to collect and bury any bodies.

He doesn't talk about his Army days much.

Mine is sad.

A family relative recently turned 21. We were sitting around talking about what we did on our 21st b-days. DH's has very sad. He spent it in a fox hole, listening to explosions all around, while he sung "Happy Birthday" to himself. The following day it was his shift to collect and bury any bodies.

He doesn't talk about his Army days much.

:crying:

My husband didn't know there were no snakes in Ireland. Maybe this is common for people to not know, but I always knew and thought everyone did, you know?

What? I never knew that either! I just read it to my husband and he had the same reaction as yours and immediately looked it up. Fun knew trivia fact!

Just yesterday I noticed my husband was watching a sporting event on his computer and taking notes on it (he's a sports reporter, so he actually does get to watch games for a living). When I got closer, I realized the announcing was in French. I know he can't read or write French, but apparently he understands spoken French well enough to follow sports commentary.

Or maybe it's just a universal Sports Language shared by all guys? One that transcends traditional linguistics?

We were together almost 10 years until I realized why they made him run extra laps during school. I'm seeing that 'extra' energy in my daughter too.

My dh also has issues with socks being in the correct order (lightest to darkest) and shoes touching. Crazy things you learn about each other!

After 13 years of marriage, I found out my dh went through all the educational/legal credentials to be an accountant in Greece, and had planned to work summers in Canada and the rest of the year in Greece. He had it all arranged with both countries and employers. I had no idea.

About a year ago, I won free sourdough bread for a whole year from Boudin Bakery (365 loaves) which was totally awesome. So we've been getting this bread and eating it...and dh finally confesses the other day that he really doesn't like sourdough bread. We've been eating this bread every day for a year, and just now he decides to tell me he doesn't like it. What a nut.

After 8 yrs of marriage, DH informed me last month that he hates BBQ pulled pork. I make it probably once a month and thought he liked it!

Turns out, he just didn't like cream of chicken soup or anything made with it! It was one of the main staples of my pantry and I LOVED using it because I liked it. Don't know why he waited so long to tell me he just didn't like it at all... I switched to cream of celery and everything was good to go, lol!

I am the same way with cream of mushroom. Any recipe calling for COM I substitute any other cream soup. It's just yucky.

I ALWAYS carefully check my socks and make sure I put them on the right feet.... even after they're fresh from the dryer. I simply cannot stand for the part of the sock that has been extended a bit by my big toe to then flop around with extra material around my little toes.

Yup, I am the same way. I always check that the extended side is on the big toe. Otherwise they rub funny on my pinky toes in my shoes. I also mate them up based on wear. I hate it when one sock is newer and fluffier and one sock is scratchier. They need to be the same. But DH calls me OCD about things and this may just be one of them.

I also turn my socks inside out before putting them on to get all the excess fuzzies out before putting them on.