Menu

What is your favorite chore system?

I am trying to find a good chore system. I have some of the Family Tool PEG system, but not complete since I bought it used. It is hard for me to set it up. I have seen Managers of Their Chores on the internet, but don't know anything about it.

What do you use for chore management? Do you tie it with allowance? I haven't started allowance for my dc (8 and 5.5) yet. I really need some good advice. Thank you!

I took a couple weeks to write down the little tasks I wanted done each week.

I used Word to make a table, matched chores to kids, and posted it in the kitchen. Each child has daily care (make bed, brush teeth), a daily household chore (one child sweeps the front porch and steps on Tuesdays, for example) and a dinner clean-up assigment (one child clears, wipes the table and sweeps the dining area, another helps clean the kitchen and sweeps the kitchen, and so on).

The kids are responsible for reading the chart and making sure the chores get done each morning before school. They have to have finished their chores before they can watch tv/play video games in the evening.

Easy-peasy. :)

No allowance as direct payment for chores. Chores are a part of caring for our home together so that we can enjoy a clean home. Allowance is a share of the family resources to spend as they wish.

Cat

It has to be simple. I have designed very elaborate chore systems over the years- you would think that would do the trick, right? But what works is getting off my butt and making sure they do them consistently until they do them as a habit and realise there realy is no excape :).

To some extent it is linked to pocket money, but not directly. Dh reserves the right to delete money from pocket money for chores left undone during the week.

In the end....chores are as much work for the parent as they are for the kid- for a long time. But, it IS worth it.

Thank you for your insight. I have been doing almost everything myself. I need to delegate and train dc to do them too. It is so much easier for me just to do everything rather than delegating. But as you said, it is as much work for the parents as it is for the kids, but it is worth it. They need to learn to take care of their own living space and be responsible in general. I like the chart idea. I usually hang our lesson schedule on the white board and we follow it quite well.

Ours is not tied to an allowance. My DC have chores cards. I simply gave them areas of the house to be responsible for and wrote each area on the top of a 4x6 card. Then I listed exactly what has to be done in the area, in order of importance. The things I need done less often (like pulling out furniture when vacuuming, or using the vac attachment to clean around edges of the room) I highlight with a highlighter. Most days they do everything listed except the highlighted chores. I simply tell them when we are doing the entire card instead of just the daily list. They do their chores in the morning before school starts, while I am getting ready for school and doing my own chores. They also know that I may ask them to do a few extras at the end of the day before dad comes home.

DS areas/cards: Front room, bathroom, computer room, his own room

DD areas/cards: Living room, kitchen, her own room

They each have a magnetic clip that holds their cards together on the refrigerator.

I did take time to teach them each how I wanted the chores done before I assigned them. I also plan to switch the areas every once in a while.

It has become routine now (mostly), but as mentioned by several posters already, I have to be diligent in checking to see that the chores are getting done, or occasionally they will start to 'forget'.HTH

Shannon

ETA: My 'system' is an adaptation of Managers of their Chores. I borrowed the book from a friend. I think the ideas you come up with to fit your family will be better than anything you can buy already designed. I do think the disc from Managers of their Chores looks great since it allows you to choose from a list of chore ideas and create lists for each child. I just haven't wanted to spend the $ right now and what we are doing is working.

Edited by shanvan

Guest Alte Veste Academy
What do you use for chore management? Do you tie it with allowance?

Like a pp, I use a Word document. I like that it's cheap and easily modified so I can change chore assignments weekly, print one for my notebook, fridge, etc. You can just make a list of what you need done and put it on the spreadsheet, as someone else suggested.

The most important thing for me (besides getting off my duff and enforcing...Peela is spot on!) is including times when they matter and printing out very detailed instructions for more complex chores. For example, ds7 cleans the guest bath and I put things on the instruction sheet as minute as, "Flush the toilet before applying toilet bowl cleaner." Because, you know...getting tp off a toilet brush is no picnic. :lol:

They want so badly to do the dishes but I'll admit I'm petrified of that. DH gives me a hard time for not letting them but slippery dishes and kids... I'm not ready.

We do not pay an allowance for chores that only serve the needs of the individual child (cleaning room, picking up his/her toys from the yard, taking care of messes made, etc.). We do pay an allowance for chores that serve the entire family (vacuuming common areas, taking out the trash, wiping down the table, pulling weeds, etc.). DH and I are very happy with this way of doing it.

Peela is right, it won't matter which chore "system" you put in place unless you are willing to consistently follow up to be sure they have completed assignments. That, IMO, is the key.

:iagree:We tie some chores to an allowance, but we have specific reasoning for doing so (and that's a whole other discussion). Dh coordinates the chores chart. In the past we've had ds write up a list and post it on the fridge.

I'm really glad dh takes over that part. Partially because he's the neater of us and more disciplined in the chores. The other reason is that chores are done over the weekend and by the end of the week I feel like I've told ds what to do long enough. I need a break by Saturday.

Consistency, calmness, and follow through are the biggies in our house.

Long ago, I heard Joyce Swann explain that each of her children were taught to do one chore well, and they kept that chore indefinitely. This is the system we adopted and it works for us. So, for example, 20yos was taught to clean the bathrooms when he was 6yo and he did that for about 10 years, until I was ready to switch things up. Everyone does their daily chore everyday after breakfast. 10yod cleans up the kitchen, 12yod cleans and vacuums the living room, 16yo cleans the downstairs bathroom and takes out all the garbage, etc. On Saturday mornings, we all cooperate for a few hours on a more thorough cleaning.

We use the PEG System by Family Tools. My kiddo loves it. We have a few extras to go along with it, but they aren't really necessary. I'm just lazy about making my own goodies at times, and I liked the idea of the "Pick a Privilege Jar" as a reward.

We don't use it exactly as described - we've tweaked it a bit. But it works for us. :) If you want to know how we use it, I'll be happy to try to describe it to you. My kiddo seems to find it motivating, but the most important thing is that I stay on top of it to make sure it all gets finished.

The behavioral component is a big part of why we chose it - the bonuses for doing "good" deeds and the penalties for "bad" behavior. We even have the chart they sent with the kit laminated, hanging just over the chart. I find it helpful to refer the kiddo to the chart at times, since it reinforces nice values.

Since you've already got that one, what about adjusting the way you use it to fit your needs?

I think any chore system can work for our kids, it's really about finding something that works for *us* - so we stay on top of it.

Ours is not tied to an allowance. My DC have chores cards. I simply gave them areas of the house to be responsible for and wrote each area on the top of a 4x6 card. Then I listed exactly what has to be done in the area, in order of importance. The things I need done less often (like pulling out furniture when vacuuming, or using the vac attachment to clean around edges of the room) I highlight with a highlighter. Most days they do everything listed except the highlighted chores. I simply tell them when we are doing the entire card instead of just the daily list. They do their chores in the morning before school starts, while I am getting ready for school and doing my own chores. They also know that I may ask them to do a few extras at the end of the day before dad comes home.

DS areas/cards: Front room, bathroom, computer room, his own room

DD areas/cards: Living room, kitchen, her own room

They each have a magnetic clip that holds their cards together on the refrigerator.

I did take time to teach them each how I wanted the chores done before I assigned them. I also plan to switch the areas every once in a while.

It has become routine now (mostly), but as mentioned by several posters already, I have to be diligent in checking to see that the chores are getting done, or occasionally they will start to 'forget'.HTH

Shannon

ETA: My 'system' is an adaptation of Managers of their Chores. I borrowed the book from a friend. I think the ideas you come up with to fit your family will be better than anything you can buy already designed. I do think the disc from Managers of their Chores looks great since it allows you to choose from a list of chore ideas and create lists for each child. I just haven't wanted to spend the $ right now and what we are doing is working.

This looks great. I would like to have a look at the book and get some ideas. Thanks for sharing. I will ask if anyone in my co-op has the book.

I just posted my Managers of Their Homes book in the for sale folder. :)

I really liked their idea in the book, but I haven't had a chance to really implement it yet. I literally spent weeks reading the book and getting our schedule together, however now I'm just looking at a completed chart and haven't started doing it yet. We're new to homeschooling this year, so I'm just trying to get through that right now. lol

I'm too flaky to be consistent with a daily system. But here's what I do on many weekends.

We play the clean up game, my mom used to do it with me and my aunt who lived with us.

First you write all of the jobs on strips of paper, draw from a bowl (without looking), trade jobs with others if you want. Everyone ends up with the same number of jobs, some easy, some hard.

Then you put on something like an Aretha Franklin record and get to it.

*Before you can play the clean up game, everyone must know how to

do the job exactly right. So there is training first.

Last, the mom (that's me now :D) inspects the job. You either pass, or don't, and have to go back and do it right.

goes with Managers of Their Chores and is called ChoreWare. In my earlier post I mentioned it was a cd, but I just checked the site. It has drop down menus and check off books for just about any imaginable chore (At least that's how it looks. I don't own it.). It also looks like it automatically generates pictorial lists for beginning readers. What I really don't like is that you must own MOTC in order to purchase it.

I liked the idea of Chorebuster.net but don't like that you have to type in all your chores and instructions.

Shannon

I really like the one just posted from Homeschool Creations...as of right now, this is what we are doing. My 3 kids also have expected chores and paid chores. The expected chores are like making bed, put away clean clothes, tidy up rooms and keep toys picked up in the livingroom and schoolroom. They have 1 paid job (same job everyday) that they can do, and then there are 2 other paid jobs that get rotated around...they get the opportunity to have 2 paid jobs daily and each job pays .25. I pay them right away, otherwise I forget...we don't use a chart as of right now. I have been sort of lax as of late...so I might be using the HC's ideas and tweeking them some.

I like this one from Homeschool Creations (free PDF). I like that it has expected chores (for no pay) and extra chores the kids can do to earn money. Though in our house you get a base allowance, and you can earn extra on top of that (think nickels and dimes - these are little kids we're talking about!).

This looks simple and easy to implement.

You guys have given me great ideas. I will think about the options and choose one that fits our needs. I do like the paid and unpaid chore options.

Thank you all very much!

I am trying to find a good chore system. I have some of the Family Tool PEG system, but not complete since I bought it used. It is hard for me to set it up. I have seen Managers of Their Chores on the internet, but don't know anything about it.

What do you use for chore management? Do you tie it with allowance? I haven't started allowance for my dc (8 and 5.5) yet. I really need some good advice. Thank you!

My first, immediate thought was "anything that gets them done" :D Actually, we have one day a week where we ALL clean the house together, at the same time. Everyone knows what they are suppose to do each week. The boys also have a couple of chores that they are responsible for every day, but they are not biggies - things like feeding the dogs, putting away the silverware, etc. My boys do not receive an allowance for chores, because they uh...live here!

They do receive money for some farm-related task such as carrying wood, weeding the garden, and helping clean out stalls. This is not referred to as an allowance though, it is viewed more as a wage. We pay for these task by the hour. If they do not do a good job, they do not receive full payment; if they do an exceptional job, they may receive additional money. It is our hope that through this, they will learn the value of a job well done. It also provides them with an opportunity to earn their own spending money.

Krista

Edited by kristavws

Another free customizablt chore chart that we have enjoyed:

http://www.dltk-cards.com/chart/

My kids like being able to pick the character on their chart. One other tip that has worked for us - make the kids responsible for marking off when they have completed a chore.

We also used a chart system based on Dr. Peters Don't Be Afraid to Discipline book. It works really well for keeping track of good behavior and chores.

I took a couple weeks to write down the little tasks I wanted done each week.

I used Word to make a table, matched chores to kids, and posted it in the kitchen. Each child has daily care (make bed, brush teeth), a daily household chore (one child sweeps the front porch and steps on Tuesdays, for example) and a dinner clean-up assigment (one child clears, wipes the table and sweeps the dining area, another helps clean the kitchen and sweeps the kitchen, and so on).

The kids are responsible for reading the chart and making sure the chores get done each morning before school. They have to have finished their chores before they can watch tv/play video games in the evening.

Easy-peasy. :)

No allowance as direct payment for chores. Chores are a part of caring for our home together so that we can enjoy a clean home. Allowance is a share of the family resources to spend as they wish.

Cat

Thanks, Cat. I will creat a chart and combine it with my peg system and see how it works. The boys are excited to start their pegs because of the privilege jar which has several of their favorite things to choose from.

J

Children's Miracle Music has helped get us started with the basics. You play a music CD that tells the children what to do. There is a morning and evening CD with each including a ten minute act of kindness (chore time). It's great for my youngest (8yo) and helped my other girls get in the habit of making their beds, etc. 8yo isn't always happy about it, but at least I'm not the one telling her what to do.

As my kids get older I'm trying to do a room/day. Example: On Mondays the girls have specific cleaning jobs in the bathroom.

I need to read this thread to get more ideas myself.

I bought an organizer idea chart and one of the ideas is clothes pins with chores glued on them and they clip them on their shirt and when done they put them back on the matboard. Then you know what they have done.

If they forget a chore, simply put the clothes pin at their table setting. I thought that this was pretty creative or a sign in the bathroom with who is on duty for that week who is serving that area. If something needs attention then someone can go to them for the needed items etc and it helps them remember.

Cyndi

Wife to dh of almost 30yrs.

Homeschooling since 1986 6 children 28-11

My favorite chore system is

I go to bed and a team of elves do all the work. They spin my yarn scraps into gold. They want my firstborn, but I say Rumplestiltskin. But unfortunately I always wake up and it ruins my chore system.

I tend to assign a chore weekly until I feel my daughter does it well and then move on. It is more a teaching exercise than a share-the-work exercise now, but I hope it will pay off in the future.

We started the Peg system last Monday, and the boys do the Bible reading and devotional on their own and have a better attitude in general and my house is cleaner and nicer.

Both refused to have allowances. They'd rather save enough green chips for a privilege or a building project with dad.

Do your kids not want allowances? What do you do in this case? My older ds has learned to be very thrifty with money; maybe that is why he doesn't want "free" money?

My favorite chore system is extremely easy:

When I need help with a certain thing, I ask. And whoever I ask, helps me. The end. It works! :)

(P.S. No, I do not believe in tying allowance into chores. Allowance is because the kids are part of the family so they get to have some of the family income, and because it's how we teach them about money management. Chores get done because they are part of the family so they have to help take care of the family house, and because it's how we teach them about responsibility and helping others. Two totally different issues. But I still find it easier to NOT bother with chore charts and following up to see if chores were done and all of that- it's SO much easier to just say "Hey, come here a minute, I need you to do ______, please. Thanks! Oh, and can you ______. Thanks!").

My favorite chore system is extremely easy:

When I need help with a certain thing, I ask. And whoever I ask, helps me. The end. It works! :)

(P.S. No, I do not believe in tying allowance into chores. Allowance is because the kids are part of the family so they get to have some of the family income, and because it's how we teach them about money management. Chores get done because they are part of the family so they have to help take care of the family house, and because it's how we teach them about responsibility and helping others. Two totally different issues. But I still find it easier to NOT bother with chore charts and following up to see if chores were done and all of that- it's SO much easier to just say "Hey, come here a minute, I need you to do ______, please. Thanks! Oh, and can you ______. Thanks!").

Yes. Same here, exactly. I have tried many splendiferous systems over the years and none of them work as well as simply asking someone to do something when it needs doing.

In addition to that we have a 20-30 min tidy up at the end of the day, where the children: 1/ tidy up their stuff, 2/ tidy up one living room, 3/ do one to two small chores I ask them to do depending on what needs doing.

I love the comments of the ladies so far.. I've tried managers or their chores and the Peg system and figured out that I personally just LIKE the idea of having a system! Have they worked for us? No...because they tend to get too complicated and once I have them all set up, I'm bored with it (I know.. it's weird...like how I love making a budget...but it's not fun anymore, once I have to implement)... All this to say... thumbs up to the index card idea...magnetic clips to hold and especially to taking the time to train the dc before we expect them to do it in an acceptable way. ;)

The system in which I delegate chores and my husband doles out discipline for those that are neglected. :tongue_smilie:

Basically, I've assigned a few reasonable things to each child for every day of the week except Sunday. My husband makes sure those things are finished every morning before school starts. If they aren't, the kids lose phone, computer and tv privileges for the day. The latter is no big stinger, but my girls especially hate to lose facebook or texting.

It works out great!

Our kids get allowance, which is for the purpose of teaching them to manage money; we don't reward them monetarily for doing chores. My husband feels (and I agree) that family chores are the whole family's responsibility, and each person should contribute freely (not to be confused with "voluntarily" :D) according to his ability and maturity.