Menu

Need help quick: what to pack for canoeing camping trip

My boys just joined Scouts tonight. I knew there was a canoeing camping trip this weekend, but assumed they wouldn't be able to go, but they were invited! That's good news on the one hand; OTOH, the list of what they need to bring isn't available until tomorrow am. Tomorrow is my run-around-like-a-chicken-with-my-head-cut-off day of the week and they leave Friday. I'd like at least some time to think about how to gather stuff and what we might need. We have some camping equipment : each has a tent and sleeping bag; we have some kind of Coleman stove, I think they have mess kits and canteens. We are not wealthy: I can't run out to REI or someplace and just buy stuff. I usually look around until I can find something used, but there won't be time. There won't even be much time to borrow stuff, so I'd like to be minimalist.

They were told no cotton. Looks like the weather will be sunny and between low 50's-mid 70's. What kind of clothes should they pack? (They have swim suits and we've found some fleece sweatshirts and jackets (though a little small for my oldest, they can "do" for this one trip) What kind of long pants?

They are supposed to bring their own food. What kind of food should they pack?

My kids were talking about backpacks, but that seemed impractical to me for canoeing. (We have basic backpacks that we use for short hikes, but not the big backpacks that you pack all your equipment in.)

I know I'll get some kind of list tomorrow via email, but might already have started the day by then, so any help I can get tonight would be greatly appreciated!

This is my generic list. It may not all apply to the specific trip, but it's the one we work off of for scout trips. Sorry for the copy-paste w/o editing - it's late!

Clothes and Personal Items

• Scout uniform (Girl Scout vest or sash, or Boy Scout shirt, hat, T-shirt, etc.)
  • Several changes of layered clothing (t-shirts, shorts, pants)
  • Undies and socks
  • Pajamas (or sweatpants and a t-shirt to sleep in)
  • Jacket (for cold evenings) - polar fleece is best because it is still warm if it gets wet
  • Sneakers/hiking boots/sensible walking shoes (Waterproof hiking boots are good for walking through wet grass or mud.)
  • Flashlight (for walking at night and reading at bedtime) or lantern
  • Rain gear (an inexpensive poncho works well and will fit for several years as children grow)
  • Bandana or hat
  • Swimsuit, pool towel, swim goggles (if swimming is available)
  • Sunscreen, bug repellant
  • Bag for dirty laundry, plastic bag for wet clothes
  • Grooming supplies (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, soap, washcloth, comb)
  • Shower shoes (like cheap flip-flops)
  • Towel for showering and face washing, washcloth if desired
  • Sleeping bag, pillow. Sheet for covering the mattress, if needed. Foam or air mattress if mattress is not provided.
  • Something to do in case it rains (deck of cards, sketchbook & colored pencils, origami paper, etc.)
  • A book to read in bed during quiet time before lights out (or an activity book - seek-a-word, etc. - and a pencil), plus a book light or flashlight.
  • Non-refrigerated snacks (applesauce cups, nuts, raisins, dried fruit, trail mix, granola bars, etc.) (if they are allowed)
  • Refillable water bottle, plus something to carry water bottle in on hikes (lightweight bag or bottle strap)
  • Mess kit, silverware, mesh bag. (Target carries inexpensive mess kits - about $5. Nicer stainless steel ones are available at Dicks Sporting Goods. A mesh lingerie bag to hold dishes for drying runs about $2.50 at PathMark. Sturdy plasticware utensils will do, or odd silverwear you don't mind losing.)
  • Small pack of tissues, toilet paper
  • Swiss Army knife (if it is allowed)
  • Medications (anything you take regularly, asthma inhaler, Benadryl, calamine lotion, Tylenol)
  • Small first aid kit (band-aids, moleskin for blisters, etc.)
  • Spending money , if needed (wallet)
  • Disposable camera
  • Cell phone and charger.
  • Backpack or duffel bag to carry and stow your gear. Lightweight backpack for carrying things as you walk around camp or go on hikes.
  • Younger girls may want to bring one small, sturdy, stuffed animal or other comfort toy. (Choose one that can be lost without causing major distress. )
  • Girl Scouts usually need a Sit-upon (and possibly lightweight backpack or bag to carry it).
  • Girl Scouts also often bring S.W.A.P.S., a bag for the ones you made, and a bag for new ones. (See also here and here.)
  • Directions to the campground, if you are driving.
  • NOTE: Shower before you leave home, as shower facilities and time may be limited.

Leave At Home

• Expensive items that could be lost or broken.
  • Electronics (Game Boys, IPods, DVD players, and so on). Without these distractions it's easier to enjoy the great outdoors!
  • Information on where you can be reached (e.g. campground's phone number, etc.).

Packing Hints

• If rain is likely, pack everything in plastic bags. You can put a day's outfit into a jumbo zip-loc bag. Sleeping gear can go in large trash bags.

My boys just joined Scouts tonight. I knew there was a canoeing camping trip this weekend, but assumed they wouldn't be able to go, but they were invited! That's good news on the one hand; OTOH, the list of what they need to bring isn't available until tomorrow am. Tomorrow is my run-around-like-a-chicken-with-my-head-cut-off day of the week and they leave Friday. I'd like at least some time to think about how to gather stuff and what we might need. We have some camping equipment : each has a tent and sleeping bag; we have some kind of Coleman stove, I think they have mess kits and canteens. We are not wealthy: I can't run out to REI or someplace and just buy stuff. I usually look around until I can find something used, but there won't be time. There won't even be much time to borrow stuff, so I'd like to be minimalist.

They were told no cotton. Looks like the weather will be sunny and between low 50's-mid 70's. What kind of clothes should they pack? (They have swim suits and we've found some fleece sweatshirts and jackets (though a little small for my oldest, they can "do" for this one trip) What kind of long pants?

They are supposed to bring their own food. What kind of food should they pack?

My kids were talking about backpacks, but that seemed impractical to me for canoeing. (We have basic backpacks that we use for short hikes, but not the big backpacks that you pack all your equipment in.)

I know I'll get some kind of list tomorrow via email, but might already have started the day by then, so any help I can get tonight would be greatly appreciated!

For a canoe trip, you may need to get waterproof bags. Our troop went on a 3 day canoe trip in August - we had to purchase these waterproof bags to hold the food, tents, sleeping gear, clothing, and other supplies. The boys *will* turn over the canoe at some point. Your troop may be doing something else with the gear, though. Our troop camped on the river each night so they had to haul everything with them.

For food we purchased easy to cook things like noodles/cheese, oatmeal (packets), granola bars, tinned meats can be added to noodles easily and don't need to be refrigerated. We took water purifiers so they didn't have to pack in water.

Take extra socks and an extra pair of shoes (some sort of water shoes). Send bug spray for sure and sunscreen, hat, quick drying clothes if possible (under armor is a favorite of my boys). I'm always surprised at how much the boys *don't* need. One young man lost his shoes in the river and our scoutmaster had him make himself a pair of Duck-Tape moccasins :D because he didn't bring an extra pair.

My boys had a fantastic time on their canoe trip; I hope yours have a great time as well.

For a canoe trip, you may need to get waterproof bags. Our troop went on a 3 day canoe trip in August - we had to purchase these waterproof bags to hold the food, tents, sleeping gear, clothing, and other supplies. The boys *will* turn over the canoe at some point. Your troop may be doing something else with the gear, though. Our troop camped on the river each night so they had to haul everything with them. Where do you buy those relatively cheaply?

For food we purchased easy to cook things like noodles/cheese, oatmeal (packets), granola bars, tinned meats can be added to noodles easily and don't need to be refrigerated. We took water purifiers so they didn't have to pack in water.

Take extra socks and an extra pair of shoes (some sort of water shoes). Send bug spray for sure and sunscreen, hat, quick drying clothes if possible (under armor is a favorite of my boys). I'm always surprised at how much the boys *don't* need. One young man lost his shoes in the river and our scoutmaster had him make himself a pair of Duck-Tape moccasins :D because he didn't bring an extra pair.

My boys had a fantastic time on their canoe trip; I hope yours have a great time as well.

Thanks so much for your response. Question inside your text.

Rules of sending stuff to camp:

1. You would normally pack 7 outfits for a 7 day trip. Your child will only wear 2. And only because the scout master will make them change half-way through.

2. Do not send anything that you will be upset to lose.

2a. The clothes you send might not be the exact clothes you get back.

2b. Even if they are, they will be filthy and possibly torn.

2c. The dirtier the boy upon return, the happier he is and the better the trip was. Dirty boy = Good trip.

3. Discuss with your child in advance what happens to wet clothes left in an enclosed space for several days. See #2.

4. Have him bathe before he leaves. See #1 & #2.

5. Make sure he actually knows what is in his pack. If you do all the packing, he won't know and he won't use it.

5a. Make sure he knows how anything you send works. (e.g. Weird mummy-style sleeping bag, etc.)

No cotton usually means that quick-dry nylon, or the poly sports shirts. Polar fleece for pullover and socks. I like fleece 'cause it's warm when it's wet. If they have some kind of quick-dry nylon pants, that might be good for the daytime. (I scour thrift shops for the zip-off shorts/pants kind.) Our troop has a hand-me-down program which is great. I'd pack sweatpants of some kind for pj's.

Our troop does food collectively, so I don't know about food. You will need a large water bottle or two - we like the Lexan ones - Target carries these.

Find out whether they will be canoeing as a day trip, and whether they need to carry all their stuff for a while to get to camp. I would expect that they will drive the car to the camp, get set up, and just take a few things with them on the canoeing part, returning to camp for dinner/sleeping. However, ask enough questions that you know 1) do they have to be able to carry all their stuff and hike somewhere, 2) are they taking all their stuff in the canoe. (In general, you'll want enough facts about the trip to be able to pack accordingly. This info, while critical, may be hard to get for the first few trips. Stick with it, it's worth it.) A day pack can actually be handy for the day's outing.

We designated a drawer in my son's dresser for all scout-trip-related items - it makes it easier to find all this stuff each time.

For dry bags, I just get the extra-large zip-locs at the grocery store or Target. We re-use them trip after trip until they fail. We keep them in the scout drawer.

You may over time get serious equipment, but if your troop is like ours, it's a different outing each time, so no sense getting professionally kitted out for canoeing when next week it will be mountain bikes or long hikes or whatever. Just make do, and keep an eye out for second-hand stuff, and when you buy new buy quality (so you can hand it down). Ask your troop leader about whet equipment is key, and then ask a troop mom for her input - she'll know the details that the men tend to gloss over.

Rules of sending stuff to camp:

1. You would normally pack 7 outfits for a 7 day trip. Your child will only wear 2. And only because the scout master will make them change half-way through.

2. Do not send anything that you will be upset to lose.

2a. The clothes you send might not be the exact clothes you get back.

2b. Even if they are, they will be filthy and possibly torn.

2c. The dirtier the boy upon return, the happier he is and the better the trip was. Dirty boy = Good trip.

3. Discuss with your child in advance what happens to wet clothes left in an enclosed space for several days. See #2.

4. Have him bathe before he leaves. See #1 & #2.

5. Make sure he actually knows what is in his pack. If you do all the packing, he won't know and he won't use it.

5a. Make sure he knows how anything you send works. (e.g. Weird mummy-style sleeping bag, etc.)

No cotton usually means that quick-dry nylon, or the poly sports shirts. Polar fleece for pullover and socks. I like fleece 'cause it's warm when it's wet. If they have some kind of quick-dry nylon pants, that might be good for the daytime. (I scour thrift shops for the zip-off shorts/pants kind.) Our troop has a hand-me-down program which is great. I'd pack sweatpants of some kind for pj's.

Our troop does food collectively, so I don't know about food. You will need a large water bottle or two - we like the Lexan ones - Target carries these.

Find out whether they will be canoeing as a day trip, and whether they need to carry all their stuff for a while to get to camp. I would expect that they will drive the car to the camp, get set up, and just take a few things with them on the canoeing part, returning to camp for dinner/sleeping. However, ask enough questions that you know 1) do they have to be able to carry all their stuff and hike somewhere, 2) are they taking all their stuff in the canoe. (In general, you'll want enough facts about the trip to be able to pack accordingly. This info, while critical, may be hard to get for the first few trips. Stick with it, it's worth it.) A day pack can actually be handy for the day's outing.

We designated a drawer in my son's dresser for all scout-trip-related items - it makes it easier to find all this stuff each time.

Thanks very much. It is a Friday night-Sunday midday trip. They will camp along the river/swamp. Apparently there are some kind of platforms built along it to camp on--so no base camp. It all has to come with you.

I was actually thinking about not sending a change of clothes for the reasons you mentioned above! :D If the stuff is quick-dry, is there a reason they would actually need to change? Maybe a new outfit for the car ride back for the sake of the leaders....

This troop just moved to Scout-run this year. I suspect that along the way someone will figure out that doing the food together is much easier.

Great advice so far. Pauline, you are hilarious and SO right!

Specifically for canoeing, I would add bungee cords. You can put stuff in the dry bags (or large ziplocs) and bungee it to the struts of the canoe. If the canoe tips (and it likely will!) the stuff won't be lost in the water.

Water shoes are best, but not flip flops. They need to be shoes that will not fall off the feet, so get some with straps.

Sunscreen. Insect repellent. Beef jerky/meat sticks, peanut butter crackers, granola bars, oranges, trail mix.... foods like that.

Have fun!

One thing that saves you canoeing is to keep your sleeping bag in one of those plastic tubs that laundry soap comes in with the super tight fitting lid. And snacks and other things can go in these too. We pack almost everything in them instead of expensive dry sacks.

I would suggest ringing the scout master and asking, they may be suppling tents, wet bags and cooking equipment.

However, on the basis that they won't be able to carry that much in a kayak this would be my clothing list:

1 set of polyprop long johns and top (warm!)

Wetsuit if they have it, if not, shorts/bathing suit and top to canoe in

Waterproof jacket

Sun hat

Warm hat,

fleece top,

trousers for evening, ideally not cotton

Personally, I'd sleep in my polyprop and clothes.

Scout uniform if needed (might only need shirt and scarf)

Underwear and socks

Toothbrush, small paste, small sunscreen, small soap

Ideally a small first aid kit, but the group should actually be carrying one

Small travel towel (we have microfibre ones)

Running shoes for evening and some kind of shoes that can get wet

Basic bed roll, warm sleeping bag, empty pillow case to stuff with things for a pillow.

For food, I'd go with something like a rice or pasta dish, with some veges and a protein

Breakfast: cereal and small container of long life milk (no refrigeration needed)

Lunch and snacks: fruit, energy bars like Larabars or similar, nuts if allowed, jerky, chocolate, crackers, cheese. Stuff that can just be snacked on rather than needing to be prepared.

Basic bowl that doubles as pot is very handy if the scouts are not supplying pots and stoves (ours does)

I try to keep it very minimal.

In the beginning we used the heavy duty oversized zip lock bags. IF you want to invest in dry bags, you can get them at WalMart, REI, Backwoods, or Bass Pro.

I often pack the food inside gallon/quart size zip locks and then pack those in the larger bags. Double bagging often saves dinner :D and that's really the only thing my boys worry about (food).

Oh, I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but send flashlights - waterproof are best if you have them, otherwise double/triple bag them.