Menu

"Natural" people-what do you do for sunscreen?

We're trying to be more careful, plus I think dd may be allergic since she's popped a really bad skin rash with the last couple sunscreens we've tried. What do people do for sunscreen when they're trying to avoid unnecessary chemicals? Or maybe sunscreen is just a "necessary" chemical, and in that case, which ones are the least offensive?

I believe that stores like Whole Foods do sell some of the sunscreen alternatives.

One that I bought for the children seemed to have some chemicals in it but was mostly natural, I really liked it, as regular sunscreen makes my face feel funny, this kind actually made it feel moist and nice.

I'm sorry but it is packed and I cannot remember the name but it was giggleberry scent, with a white bottle and a pink/red top.

We are all really fair skinned so sunscreen is a must for us.

It's paraben free, and though it still contains too many chems for me, it seems to be a lesser evil than our fair skin burning to lobster red. I can usually find it at my grocery store on sale for a reasonable price; I picked some up yesterday (32 SPF for kids) on sale for under $5 for 4 fl.oz (we rarely use more than 2 tubes of this size all summer, and we are out A LOT). It seems like it really stays on, does it's job, and our sensitive skin handles it well. :)

I haven't tried any of the "natural" sunscreens, so I would be interested in what others are using. I actually use very little sunscreen on my kids. I allow them to tan which is the body's natural protection. If they start to look "pink" I slap a little conventional sunscreen on them. We haven't had much trouble with them burning. They aren't particularly fair-skinned either.

I am concerned about sun damage, but I am (so far) allergic to every sunscreen I have tried if it is applied to my face and neck. I am fair skinned, and burn. I use sunscreen on my boys because I don't think melanin alone can protect against skin cancer. Perhaps I am misinformed.

I haven't tried any of the "natural" sunscreens, so I would be interested in what others are using. I actually use very little sunscreen on my kids. I allow them to tan which is the body's natural protection. If they start to look "pink" I slap a little conventional sunscreen on them. We haven't had much trouble with them burning. They aren't particularly fair-skinned either.

This is us, too. I really prefer to limit exposure instead of slathering on the unpronounceables. ;) I did purchase some Burt's Bees to try on our upcoming beach vacay, just in case.

The dc and I have a good dose of Cherokee blood which has always served us well in the summer months. OTOH, my bff is not only ultra-fair, her ds has albinism, so they need all the sun protection they can get.

When all else fails, there's the pop-up canopy. :D

I'm a shade seeker. I'm not sensitive to sunlight (olive toned) but I will wear a hat & sunglasses, long sleeved white cotton shirt if I have to be out in the sun for too long. Dd gets a tan, but I limit time in the sun, have her wear a hat, etc. Haven't used sunscreen in years.

I live in Australia, where we have extremely high skin cancer rates, and a huge hole in the ozone. We have just been through an incredibly hot summer. (many many days over 40degrees celsius).

I don't use normal sunscreen at all. I consider it toxic.

We don't go out in the middle of the day. We wear hats always. We wear long sleeved cotton shirts, or at least t-shirts with the larger sleeves. The kids wear big baggy board shorts which come at least to their knees.

In the water, they always wear sun shirts. Or at least a t shirt.

Occasionally, I will wear, or put on them, clear zinc cream. I will often use it on my nose if I am swimming or out on the motorbike.

My daughter left this morning for Broome and the desert inland from there. Very, very hot. So she is dong all of the above,with a big wide rimmed hat, and she has clear zinc for any exposed areas.

Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock uses Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide (I believe) to block the sun. it doesn't have any of the Oxy stuff or other chemicals that most sunscreens have. This is the only sunscreen so far that works for a couple of my kiddoes. The only problem is that it's not waterproof. I did just remember that I picked up on at Whole Foods last summer that doesn't have the other chemicals in it and it went on a bit easier. I can't remember the name. If you get this one, be sure you get THIS one. Other Neutrogena products have the chemicals in them that cause a reaction in my kiddoes.

HTH!

Cindy

We don't use them here either. My kids go outside often and gradually build up a tan. If they look like they are getting too much sun, then I have them play in the shade or put on more clothing. i know it is just my opinion, but i am one of those people who thinks that the sun is needed (vitamin D and all that) and that sunscreen can do more harm than good.

I wonder what people did before suncreen was invented. You know, back in the days they worked the fields all day long. Did they use something natural, or just build up a tan? Did they have higher skin cancer rates? What do primitive cultures do nowadays?

I don't have all the answers, but I do know my husband just had some spots frozen off his face this week because there was some concern about them being precancerous. He is outside all day long due to his work. He and I are both fair-skinned with Irish and English blood. Sun burns are no fun, and though my husband builds up a tan over time, the sun has surely taken a toll on his skin.

So, I'm really thinking people just dealt with the sun, but I also think there probably was a high incident of skin cancer. That's just my guess, though. I also know many more people wore bonnets and such to protect against the sun, whereas nowadays, we have tanning salons.

I have to admit part of my not wanting lots of sun is because it causes most of the wrinkles. LOL I have seen many models and actresses who used to have lovely skin but who also were tanning godesses now looking leathered. Sure, we souldn't care about such things, but I think most people do.

We stay out of the sun from 11-3. If we must be outside during those hours, we stay in the shade whenever possible. My kids aren't extremely dark tanners. They do build up a nice golden tan pretty quickly. So far, we have had very few sunburns.

In the past we've used various sunscreens by Aubrey Organics. Our family physician has recommended not using them at all unless we're going to be in the scorching sun for an extended period. In those cases she recommended zinc oxide. I think Badger makes one.

The "what did they do in the past" question is one that intrigues me. I have heard somewhere that nutrition plays a key role in our reaction to the sun, but I haven't found a source for this yet. Perhaps more wholesome foods help us fight off sun damage? I'm interested in reading more on this if anyone has a source.

I'm terribly fair-skinned and have trouble with conventional sunscreens irritating my skin. I've had very good luck over the past couple of years with the Burts Bees products. The regular skin creams can be a bit heavy for me, although they're wonderful in the winter, but the sunscreen has been great so far. Generally I have two skin colors - paste and beet - but the sunscreen has a bit of a buttercup tinge to it which is fine for me. If you tend toward a sallow complexion naturally though, you may end up looking like a banana!

The "what did they do in the past" question is one that intrigues me. I have heard somewhere that nutrition plays a key role in our reaction to the sun, but I haven't found a source for this yet. Perhaps more wholesome foods help us fight off sun damage? I'm interested in reading more on this if anyone has a source.

I've read this too, and I try to eat foods high in antioxidants. I would think, even with the poorer soil these days, that we eat far better than most people did hundreds of years ago in terms of variety and antioxidants. I eat wild blueberries quite often (I buy huge bags of frozen ones), and we eat lots of fruits and vegetables every day.

I don't have any links, but in the past they avoided the sun. Hats were a must if you were outside. Long pants, long dresses, gloves, and above all hats were not just for modesty's sake. They keep the sun off of you. Parasols were not just for twirling and looking coy. They offered great sun protection. Tanned skin was something to be avoided; only the lower classes were tanned. As pale as possible was what was desired.

This is supposed to be the most natural sunscreen available. It's zinc oxide-based, instead titanium dioxide-based, and has no other chemicals. It's very heavy feeling, but you only need a little bit at a time, and if you distribute it and rub it in well, it feels like most other sunscreens. It's also quite pricy, but is good for three years, and since you're only using small amounts, it lasts quite awhile.

I also love the Aubrey Organics green tea sunscreen, but it made my DD5 break out horrendously on her back. I think she has a problem with the titanium dioxide.

That said, however, we also avoid the sun--mainly because I'm a big baby and hate to sweat (I get nauseous in the heat, ugh) but also so we have to deal with the sunscreen issue as little as possible. Our trees are so big that, while we can't grow a garden, a large portion of our yard is directly in the shade for the entire day, even as the sun passes over. We don't usually get into the yard until around 3:00 anyway, and then we're in the shade. It's nice (though the garden part stinks :(). My girls have olive skin and tan well, but I'm ultra fair (redhead), and this has worked nicely for me.

We usually cover up with long sleeves and hats if we will be out for a long time.

The kids wear rash guards to swim in and we wait until a little later to swim if we can.

I think the sun is good for us and sunscreen, not so much. :)

But I have some very fair kids so we build up a little at a time and wear sunscreen very rarely. I think we used it twice last summer and that was just on their faces.

One of my "natural" friend says, "If the sun gives us cancer, I think God would have clothed us in something different."

We use Arbonne. It rocks. My oldest has skin issues and eczema, and it's the only thing that doesn't bother her. And, I've also sewn some sun poncho's for my girls from Solarveil (lightweight mesh fabric with sun protection built right in).

Tab

Zinc oxide (that white stuff) is a great sun blocker. We try to stick with the age-old sunscreen known as clothing. DD wears at least knee-length everything except her swimsuit, and everything including her swimsuit covers her shoulders. We also wear sunglasses and wide brimmed hats. I myself wear 3/4 to long sleeved shirts year round, and long airy skirts in summer, all in natural fabrics (linen, cotton) as much as possible.

We do use regular sunscreen, but only a little bit usually is needed. Water Babies, Aveeno, and Bullfrog are our preferred brands.

California Baby. I cannot praise the stuff enough. Made with titanium dioxide; good, short ingridient list; safe on infants under age 6 months; works very well.

It's kind of expensive, but you don't need much, and all decent sunscreen is very expensive.

Also, because it's thick like a cream and not chemical based, it breaks down verrry slowly, and so doesn't need to be reapplied all the time.

AND it's waterproof!

Also, if anyone's interested, I have instructions on how to make homemade sunscreen.

We've used this in the past. It is thick going on but it works well. I found that it left permanent hand prints on the car's paint though.:001_huh:

I am big on hats and rash guards at the beach for the kids but I often slack about my own sun protection. We helped dh's aunt all day around the yard. The kids are fine but I burned my nose. I didn't even think of putting sunscreen on myself.

I am concerned about sun damage, but I am (so far) allergic to every sunscreen I have tried if it is applied to my face and neck. I am fair skinned, and burn. I use sunscreen on my boys because I don't think melanin alone can protect against skin cancer. Perhaps I am misinformed.

I could not agree more....but then, I had my first skin cancer at 38, and have had it twice now.

I am very fair, take all of the precautions, and have always taken them thanks to my fair-skinned mother, and yet.... I live in Texas....One cannot completely avoid exposure in this sunny clime.

You might try Neutrogena sunscreen. It receives great reveiws for UVA and UVB protection. I have personally found that it is very effective and yet it does not give that chemical burn that most of the others give.

Also, I use Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer with SPF 15 DAILY as soon as I wash my face in the morning. It is light, does not sport a strong odor, and goes nicely under make-up (or I often use it instead of makeup).

Burt's Bees sunscreen is supposed to be natural, but has a tacky feeling and a very strong (and may I say strange, even) scent. I love the other Burt's Bees products, but not this one, IMHO.

But little note of warning...In order to protect your scalp, you must wear a hat. My most recent round with SC was right on top of my blond head...an area to which I have not routinely applied sunscreen, although I admit that I actually HAVE TRIED! So....I have been warned to wear a hat year round.

Hope this helps.

A friendly note to encourage others not to compliment their other friends' "fabulously healthy" tans in front of their really fair-skinned buddies. To those of us who are truly fair-skinned, no tan is a healthy tan, and those sorts of compliments seem to imply a lack of health and beauty to those of us who must abstain from sun-worshipping!:blush5:

A friendly note to encourage others not to compliment their other friends' "fabulously healthy" tans in front of their really fair-skinned buddies. To those of us who are truly fair-skinned, no tan is a healthy tan, and those sorts of compliments seem to imply a lack of health and beauty to those of us who must abstain from sun-worshipping!

I had a lady in a home group setting tell me once (I was 25 then) "you need to get some sun." She was in her late 40's but looked more like mid 50's -- she was a sun devotee.

I was so shocked by her rude statement! I told her I didn't want my skin to get that much sun. 15 minutes is usually enough to build up vitamin D anyway, and I was walking for an hour a day back then -- outside. I used sunscreen, though (I did not become allergic to it until after I gave birth).

What does one say to a statement like that?

I even heard a woman once laughingly referring to my children as "clear"...she said that would have to be the only category she could think of to describe what to her was simply beyond white.

I can't help thinking that if they really understood how hurtful those comments were, (and scientifically just WRONG, IMHO) they would avoid making them. So.....we just have to assume that they stem from ignorance, hope they will refrain from making such personal comments altogether in the future, and just choose to forgive...

In the meantime, my dark-complexioned husband is more than happy to appreciate the differences between us. I am too. I tell my children that just as God made many beautiful colors of flowers, so He made many beautiful colors of people. Long live variety!

Since I am new to this site, I hope that I haven't offended or hurt anyone, or said anything inappropriate. These are just my opinions, for what they are worth.

Thanks so much, Melissa, for the link for UVA Natural. I'm going to order it for our NC beach trip in June. While we're not fair-skinned, we always have to work really hard to not get burned. And two of my children are allergic to everything in regular sunscreen. I had recommended Neutrogena Sensitive Skin, but this looks like a much better choice.

As a child growing up on the water, working at a sailing camp, etc., I was burned multiple times. My father has had to have numerous "spots" removed. One recent "spot" removal caused a hole in his nose for which he had to have skin grafting. Needless to say, I am keeping an eye on my skin and trying to help my kids avoid this!

Thanks, again!

:) Cindy

Sunbrella makes good clothing to help prevent burns, and Land's End and other folks are now making swimsuits and protective clothing. I have to get my Dad some Sunbrella stuff, because he goes to FL for the winter and is starting to get skin cancers.

I do use sun protection on dd. Our skin gets very "mole-y" on my side of the family, and I think I'm noticing more moles on dh, too--so we will be protecting our skin. I don't think it's detrimental to get "some" sun, but once we start tanning, it means there's damage, so we slather it on when the sun is strong, we are going to be out for a longer period of time, we are exposing skin that normally stays covered (swimming), or when the sun index is high. Other than that, we just use common sense.

Thanks for bringing this up--I like using the more natural products and now have more to try.

Whatever happened to baby oil, cocoa butter and limited sun exposure? I feel old.

Hhmmm. I believe the oils were used by people seeking a better tan (like suntan lotions), which makes no sense along with limited sun exposure? Or at least that's what some people were doing when I was growing up. They would also lie on roofs to get a better tan.

I am pretty white. When I was a teenager I would hear other kids laughing at me as I walked by and talking about how I was so white I was blinding them. I don't know why people think it is okay to make rude comments to people who don't tan.

Yep, me too. Ghost was heard quite often. Of course, these were the same people who often made fun of smart people, so I guess it really shouldn't have mattered much, considering the source.

It never occurred to me to be offended when people called me white! lol. Being called "not just white, but dead-body white" isn't a compliment by any means. But, come on, it was a funny observation. I now use the phrase myself. It describes my tanlessness perfectly. I wish I could be the pretty, alabaster ivory skinned gal. But no. My veins are very prominent (nurses love me) and give my white skin a greyish cast. Not lovely. :tongue_smilie:

EWG has done some great work -- if Colleen hadn't posted that link first, it would have been the first thing happening on my keyboard right now.

I have used:

Aubrey Organics

Jason

Alba Botanica

As well as Banana Boat and other commercial types

It's interesting to note that many "conventional" brands score as well or better than the natural brands on the EWG report. This year, I'll probably go with Badger for faces and something like Neutrogena or Coppertone Spectra3 for bodies. I have to go with higher SPF's because there are times when I simply can't avoid exposure enough to effectively match up our fair skinned crowd with the lower SPF's of other brands. I'm most interested in the overall scores rather than the individual ones

• 2 weeks later...
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock uses Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide (I believe) to block the sun. it doesn't have any of the Oxy stuff or other chemicals that most sunscreens have. This is the only sunscreen so far that works for a couple of my kiddoes. The only problem is that it's not waterproof. I did just remember that I picked up on at Whole Foods last summer that doesn't have the other chemicals in it and it went on a bit easier. I can't remember the name. If you get this one, be sure you get THIS one. Other Neutrogena products have the chemicals in them that cause a reaction in my kiddoes.

HTH!

Cindy

No wonder I use this and it usually works great, but I FRIED myself to a CRISP at the waterpark last year with repeated applications!:tongue_smilie:Arghhh!