Menu

6YO has swollen tonsils for over a month dr says take out

Hi

I took my 6YO to our pediatrician over a month ago because he had one swollen tonsil and a sore throat for a week or so. Our doctor is very natural. She recommended we see an ENT if it lasted for more than a week. It's been over a month and I finally made it to the ENT. The ENT looks at my sons throat and says "Yeah, they need to come out." Just as simple as that. He wants to take out his tonsils and adenoids. It's only one tonsil that is swollen. He complains that his throat hurts every now and then, but he hasn't complained much about it lately. He can breath fine, he does not have a throat infection, he can swallow and his sleep is not interrupted because of this. The one tonsil is about touching the uvula, so it's pretty swollen.

I'm not a fan of taking a healthy child in for an operation when it's not urgent. This is a surgery that requires anesthesia and with any surgery there are always risks.

The doctor said that sometimes tonsils swell up from an infection and don't swell back down. I don't want to just get them taken out without understanding WHY they are swollen. He did have swollen tonsils for a while last year, but apparently they went down. Our pedi said not to get tonsils out unless they had strep 7 times in a year. He doesn't have infection problems.

I would like everyone's take on getting tonsils out...or if there are other options to maybe help the tonsil go down.

Thanks!

Vicki

I had an ENT tell me last month that ds should have his out. DS mouth breathes at night, but he doesn't snore. I don't notice his sleep being disturbed by the mouth breathing.

He is not overly sick and does not have a history of infections.

DH and I are not going to consent to surgery unless we have a more compelling reason than chapped lips/mouth breathing.

I don't know. I feel that we shouldn't cut off body parts unless absolutely necessary.

This is a surgery that requires anesthesia and with any surgery there are always risks.

Vickie, this line made me laugh. Only because of my health history. I've had enough surgeries that the only thing I'm afraid of is that daggone IV that one has to have. (I have VERY difficult veins!)

Seriously, my first was a hernia repair at age 5, I had a T&A at 7 and then things hit the fan when I was about 25. In the last 20 years, I've had 10 surgeries, not counting the LASIK on my eyes. knock me out BEFORE the IV and I'll be fine. (out of all of those, I've only had to spend 1 night in the hospital though!) ;)

I know I'd be concerned if my CHILD had to do it. But for me, well, I get a day off!

I've had tonsil issues since I was a child. My parents opted not to have them removed, I'm 43 and still have issues. I truly regret them NOT being removed. However, I don't like surgery either, especially when thinking about your own child.

Tough call. :grouphug:

I've had tonsil issues since I was a child. My parents opted not to have them removed, I'm 43 and still have issues. I truly regret them NOT being removed. However, I don't like surgery either, especially when thinking about your own child.

Tough call. :grouphug:

I'm 30, not 43, but feel exactly the same way. If I'd ever had to have a c-section, I was going to ask them to whip out my tonsils at the same time.

Rosie

I'd advise getting another opinion. Having one sided tonsil enlargement is more concerning than bilateral swelling. Factors to consider are does he/she have symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea or frequent strep?

Has lengthy antibiotic courses along with steroids been tried? This should be tried 1st unless the tonsil looks suspicious.

Definitely see another ENT just to be sure.

We opted to have DD's removed after a few bouts of Strep & Tonsillitis and it was the BEST decision I have ever made for her. Before her surgery, she was a very picky eater and had not gained weight in a year. She was also very ill all the time with every.single.thing that was going around. Her surgery was very quick (15 minutes) and recovery was smooth.

She immediately started eating better, sleeping better, and growing like a weed and has maybe required antibiotics twice in the 6 years since they were removed.

If you are unsure, definitely get a second opinion, but I have NEVER heard of anyone who regretted the decision to remove them.

If you opt to leave them alone--and that is a perfectly valid option--be sure to watch for signs of sleep apnea possibly including:

# A "pulling in" of the chest when breathing

# Confusion when awakened

# Developmental delays

# Excessive sweating while asleep

# Failure to grow at normal rates

# Frequent bedwetting

# High rates of upper respiratory infections

# Hyperactivity and symptoms of ADHD

# Learning difficulties

# Morning headaches

# Nightmares and night terrors

# Personality changes

# Unusual "arched" sleeping positions.

# Bedwetting

I had my tonsils and adenoids out at that age. The lasting throat issues led to chronic ear infections. As time went on, I had more & more sick issues. My oldest had his adenoids removed when he was 2. He did not have sore throat issues but had lots of drainage at night, open mouth sleeping, showing as asthmatic and put on an inhaler. The ENT did an xray and his adenoids had almost completely filled his sinus space. No problem with the surgery and no problems with asthma or use of inhaler since.

They are glands that are supposed to help with infections; but if they are sick, they can spread it just as easy. There is not a lot of space between sinus space and the brain. It is not a good place to have infected glands.

I had 'earaches' (probably infections) until my tonsils and adenoids were removed at age 7. I don't remember the earaches specifically, but I remember my mom talking about them. I would bang my head on the headboard of the bed. She would lose her voice singing to me to help me stay calm, until the wee hours of the morning.

I have chronic inhalant allergies and sinusitis, so I'm fairly certain that if I still had them I would also still have the earpain. I am allergic to EVERYTHING they tested me for. My arms looked like burn scars. They couldn't even measure the hives in the traditional way (up to 4 mm, I think was on the sheet) she called the Dr. in, who said wow, and OMG, and told the tech to take a picture of my arm. Dogs, were the only traditional reaction. I tell you this just to give you some background. If your child has chronic allergies, or even bad seasonal ones, they will probably get an ear infection each time.

I've read that what happens is the tonsils block the eustachian tubes, which is where the fluid drains (and we swallow it without even realizing it) The fluid backs up because the tonsils block the drainage point.

One website I've read (and it is only one, so you may want to reseach this some more) says that tonsils peak in size at around 8-10 yrs and then gradually get smaller. In addition, the eustachian tubes grow, and enlarge, so after a certain age, it is not necessary to perform the sugery (and this make sense, MOST T&A's occur in younger children). So, based on that info, if you can make it to say, 10 or 12, you might be able to skip the surgery altogether. I've also read that the surgery can now be performed with no bleeding.

I would definitely get a 2nd opinion, and evaluate whether or not chronic sinusitis/allergies are a problem. And how much pain your kiddo is in. Pain in young children is quite torturous. For them, and for us to see. I mean, if he's in pain constantly, then I would lean towards removal. But, as I said in a previous post, I've had 10 surgeries in the past 20 years, so I'm not super gunshy on anesthesia :tongue_smilie:, I do still research things before I agree to them though.

My ds had strep infections over and over and over again when he was in kindergarten/first grade (before that he had ear infections over and over and over again). He was in public school those years and missed an awful lot of school. But it wasn't until he developed scarlet fever that the pediatrician sent us to an ENT. The ENT told us the tonsils and adenoids would need to come out. He said that once a kid starts developing scarlet fever from strep it's more likely to happen each time they have strep and that in turn can cause heart damage. He really wanted to take them out right on the spot, but we waited until school was out for the year.

It was a MISERABLE recovery. But ds (now 11) is *so* much healthier. I have absolutely no regrets. The ENT felt that the strep infection was never completely clearing from the tonsils and that when ds wasn't actively sick it was simply dormant...waiting for the right conditions to start reproducing again.