Menu

Agony. I can't drink this stuff. Colonoscopy.

I started at 4:30. It is 3.5 hours later and I'm still not done. I just can't do this. Has this happened to anyone else? What will happen if I can't finish this? Will the fact that I am so slow at drinking this make me not be able to have the procedure? I have made a trip to the bathroom once, just a few minutes ago.

Sorry if this is gross.

I have it chilled. It is so cold that now I feel shivery. I think I have about an inch or so left in the container after I finish this glass.

It helps to have gum in my mouth or a lifesaver. I gulp and gulp and then I really only drank a half inch in the glass. I keep gagging. It is horrible.

I'm just so afraid that after all of this, that I won't be cleaned enough and will have to repeat. I just couldn't do it.

I keep trying to think of my younger brother who has colon cancer and everything he has to face. He is receiving radiation therapy this week and will do chemo later in Oct.

Still. It is hard to swallow.

Anyone not drink the whole thing and not have a problem with the procedure?

Edited by Carpe Diem
typo

Yes, it's awful. Adding ice and mixing it with something else helps. Using a straw also helps. It took me half the night to choke the stuff down, and you have *many* more trips to the bathroom to look forward to. Compared to this, the procedure itself is a piece of cake.

You can do it! :grouphug:

I hope it's going better!

I get to have my first later this month & I'm rather anxious about it as well.

I don't have my information yet and so don't know about the mixture, but has anyone tried doing something like a beer bong with it? I never did it in college, but the concept seems pretty good for something like this liquid. Could it work or is this too silly to attempt if it's not drinkable? :bigear:

(I really don't want to go through the prep!!)

I hope it's going better!

I get to have my first later this month & I'm rather anxious about it as well.

I don't have my information yet and so don't know about the mixture, but has anyone tried doing something like a beer bong with it? I never did it in college, but the concept seems pretty good for something like this liquid. Could it work or is this too silly to attempt if it's not drinkable? :bigear:

(I really don't want to go through the prep!!)

This is guaranteed to take any coolness out of using a beer bong. :lol: If you do it, please take pictures and email them to those of us with teenagers.

This is guaranteed to take any coolness out of using a beer bong. :lol: If you do it, please take pictures and email them to those of us with teenagers.

I'd hope it wouldn't be followed by projectile vomiting. :D

I'm just curious if anyone thinks it might work. Should dh pick up a funnel while he's picking up the liquid? I have a strong gag reflex (whimper).

Everything is coming out clear. Does this mean I can stop. It is 11 pm and I have been at this for 6.5 hours with one glass left.

It still feels like there is something more to come out but maybe it is just all this colyte. If its clear things should be okay? Right?

Can I stop?

Everything is coming out clear. Does this mean I can stop. It is 11 pm and I have been at this for 6.5 hours with one glass left.

It still feels like there is something more to come out but maybe it is just all this colyte. If its clear things should be okay? Right?

Can I stop?

As a nurse, I would say yes. They goal is to be completely cleaned out, and if everything is coming out clear, I'd say you're there. :grouphug:

My dh drank all but his last 1-2 glasses and his procedure was fine. Good luck!

Same thing here. He said the worst part of the whole procedure was the prep drink. His was pineapple flavored. That was a few years ago and he still will not eat or drink anything with pineapple in it.

Oh, I'm so sorry, that is nasty stuff!! Best advice for any future colonoscopies.....do NOT eat anything unless it's in liquid form for 48-72 hours beforehand. Seriously, then you hardly have to drink any of that icky stuff. Clear soups, Slimfast, jello are all good. Keep your food simple and things will be much better.

I remember when I was just starting in nursing and worked in a GPs office and a guy came in for a colonoscopy. His philosophy was, "Well, I have to be on a restricted diet for a whole day before, so I'm really going to eat a ton today. I'm leaving here and having some meatball lasagna." The other nurse told him he would regret that choice. He did. :lol:

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

I was a big baby. I couldn't help it. I had tears going down my cheek when I had to walk back!!! The procedure itself was a piece of cake. I stayed awake for the whole thing. I could have fallen asleep but for some reason I don't like the thought of being put to sleep so I fought it. Everything was fine. No concerns!

You know that thread about f@rting? It is so timely for me!:lol:

Thanks to everyone for your input and encouragement.

Edited by Carpe Diem
typo

I think most people sleep during the procedure.

I came home and slept like a baby!

That's what they gave me, too (darvocet & versed) and all I remember was thinking how surprising comfortable the mattress on the gurney was, and maybe I should get one for home....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz........... :lol:

I'm so glad everything went well. Two of my younger brothers had/have colon cancer (one lost his battle last year), so I know what a relief it is to get the all-clear when you're in a high-risk category. I imagine your sibling(s) and parents are very relieved, too.

Jackie