Menu

Weird girl puberty question

OK, I need some of you experienced Moms of older girls to help me out here. My oldest dd has been complaining for about a week that her underarms itch and then subsequently hurt when she scratches them. I cannot tell when looking at them if it is a rash or if she potentially may have the beginnings of hair growth there. I don't feel any stubble but some of the bumps look like they could be hair follicles. She does wear deodorant and also has seasonal eczema/dry skin type issues. Any thoughts?

She could be having an allergic reaction to her deodorant. My mom does that and has to be very careful about which brands she buys.

:iagree:

My husband is the same. Since your dd is young, have you tried one of those salt crystals? They work on me during the winter but during the summer, I *NEED* deodorant.

My dh can't use ANY deodorant with alcohol in it or he itches/hurts/turns red, and sometimes will get a rash or bumps.

I am allergic to antiperspirant and this is what happens to me! It is terrible but just find a DO with no antiperspirant. My current favorite is one from Melaleuca. I had had good luck with Toms of Maine but I prefer the scent of the Melaleuca.

Meli

It sounds like the reactions I have to deodorant. I have very sensative skin and seasonal eczema issues as well. I can only use Dove's Cool Cucumber (or something like that, lol) deodorant - that's the first Dove thing I tried that my skin tolerated, even the sensitive skin type deodorant causes me extreme pain (heck, even the natural deodorants cause me itching and burning!). That said, even sticking to my tolerated scent/brand during season changes and exceptionally dry parts of the year I alternate between extreme itching and burning under my arms.

but infected hair follicles. Itchy/painful dark spots under the arms. The doctor gave her something to put on it (topical antibiotic I think) and told her to use antibacterial soap to wash there.

Just raising the possibility in case going off the deodorant doesn't help.