Menu

Regarding transcripts...

Is there such a thing as listing too many credits?

My daughter is dual-enrolled in cc. When she graduates high school at the end of this year, she will have taken 33 classes including those at home and her cc classes. Should I list all the classes on her high school transcript? Is there any downside to doing so? Tia!

Edited by Mejane

Are all the classes academic? You might choose not to include PE classes, for example. Are any of the classes for things that you might otherwise consider to be extracurricular activities? Music or drama classes might be in this category.

A number of homeschoolers leave high school with a large number of credits. My daughter had about 27. I would not be overly concerned about it.

Regards,

Kareni

Are all the classes academic? You might choose not to include PE classes, for example. Are any of the classes for things that you might otherwise consider to be extracurricular activities? Music or drama classes might be in this category.

A number of homeschoolers leave high school with a large number of credits. My daughter had about 27. I would not be overly concerned about it.

Regards,

Kareni

:iagree: This is what we did. Homeschoolers usually have a harder time drumming up extracurriculars. Just rename some of them.

Barb

:iagree: This is what we did. Homeschoolers usually have a harder time drumming up extracurriculars. Just rename some of them.

Barb

For instance, instead of giving each history class its own name, just make four of them and list them with broad time periods. eg: Modern History 1850-Present.

Many universities shy away from a bunch of religious courses, so, if your child has done a biblical study each year, you can write down a "World Religions" course (if you have indeed included other religions), or simply "Theology". It may seem like cheating your kid out of the work they have done, but it appears more "normal" to most colleges that a kid would have taken one theology course as an elective than four (unless they had gone to a parochial school).

I put English, Grammar, Composition, and Literature altogether under one class: "English". That's how it was when I grew up, that's how it will be for my kid. I figure I have to give book lists and descriptions to the colleges anyway - they're smart enough to figure out he did all of those things under the umbrella of "English".

My kid plays the bagpipes every single day, has a private lesson every week, and goes to camp every year. I'm not putting 4 years of music performance on his transcript. He is going to college for physics, not music. I'll give him a year of theory and one of performance.

I really think we have to balance out the "but kid did ALL OF THIS" with the reality of what is normally on a transcript. Otherwise we risk looking like we're minimally padding and, even worse - lying. We know that isn't true. We know our kids have actually done a ton of stuff. But they're going up against a pool of applicants who have done X, and if our kids show up saying they've done X + 20, someone is going to say "no way" and toss them aside. Not everyone (I doubt Harvard would do this), but I'm betting many admissions officers would roll their eyes.

JMO

I really think we have to balance out the "but kid did ALL OF THIS" with the reality of what is normally on a transcript. Otherwise we risk looking like we're minimally padding and, even worse - lying. We know that isn't true. We know our kids have actually done a ton of stuff. But they're going up against a pool of applicants who have done X, and if our kids show up saying they've done X + 20, someone is going to say "no way" and toss them aside. Not everyone (I doubt Harvard would do this), but I'm betting many admissions officers would roll their eyes.

This is exactly what I'm concerned about. I've already downplayed her full-time ballet to 2 PE credits and one fine arts. Everything else really is academic. Most of her credits will be from college, so I can't hide them, kwim? - they'll show up on her transcript. I've dropped hs Latin in favor of college Spanish, dropped hs consumer ec/health in favor of college electives. Her englishes and sciences and social studies are college credits. There's not a lot of wiggle room left.

Thanks for the advice, all. She'd love to go to Harvard, asta (adores Boston.) Maybe they'd appreciate all her credits there. :001_smile:

Edited by Mejane

This is exactly what I'm concerned about. I've already downplayed her full-time ballet to 2 PE credits and one fine arts. Everything else really is academic. Most of her credits will be from college, so I can't hide them, kwim? - they'll show up on her transcript. I've dropped hs Latin in favor of college Spanish, dropped hs consumer ec/health in favor of college electives. Her englishes and sciences and social studies are college credits. There's not a lot of wiggle room left.

Thanks for the advice, all. She'd love to go to Harvard, asta (adores Boston.) Maybe they'd appreciate all her credits there. :001_smile:

No reason to hide the cc credits--in fact, you should have an official CC transcript sent, also. Just mark them on the homeschool transcript with an asterix and put something like, "Taken at Blankblank Community College. Transcript to be sent."

No reason to hide the cc credits--in fact, you should have an official CC transcript sent, also. Just mark them on the homeschool transcript with an asterix and put something like, "Taken at Blankblank Community College. Transcript to be sent."

Yes, that's what I did. Thanks, Chris.

I counted CC classes as 1/2 a credit. That helped. I also didn't count all the writing work we did every year (except the CC 1/2 credit comp class). We did Latin every year but I did not give 4 credits of Latin. We were very slow at it, anyway, and didn't get far. I mushed history into 1 credit world hist, 1 of US hist, and 1 of gov and economics. I made things like piano lessons extra curricular. We worked on storytelling for a whole year, a few hours a week, and that never appeared at all. We had more natural history that didn't get counted. The transcript still reflects his education pretty well, so I'm not worried about it. I would wait until just before the transcripts need to be sent and then decide how to label all the home classes.

-Nan

I don't think that 33 classes is too many. How many of those are 1/2 credit classes also? Additionally, some things could be used in other areas of the transcript (for example, I might not have PE credits, but made sure that the 4 years of gymnastics were mentioned in *detail* in the extracurricular area).

But seriously? Even if it were 33 credits. LOTS of schools do 8 credits per year PLUS any second semester of dual enrollment, summer classes, correspondence classes, etc. It's a bit steep, but not completely unreasonable. Generally, I would AIM for 24-32 credits though as that is what most schooled students are getting.

Note: we did count each college course as it's own credit. I have a hard time with the idea that Calc II is only a 1/2 credit course. Additionally, because of my daughter's situation, she would not have had enough English credits without counting the college coures as a full credit each. But if those weren't issues for you, then that is certainly an idea to make your transcript look less stacked.

Edited by 2J5M9K

My D is taking several CC dual-enrollment classes and I am counting them in the same manner that the public schools do: 1 full credit per each CC semester course.

I basically count all my D's courses the same was as the public school. My D goes to the Y 5 times a week for Zumba, Kickboxing, and Capoiera. She also does Ethnic Dancing a couple time a week. I consider this the same (actually better than ) our local high school which gives a .5 credit in PE for a half year of what is actually scheduled in the public school--"Aerobics 1", "Aerobics 2", or "Board Games".

I just finished D's transcript and she is at 25 credits with no fudging (actually I combined some). while in public school through the middle of her Junior year she acquired 18. Since being homeschooled for nine months she has earned an additional 7 credits through dual enrollment and self-study CLEP exams passed. In 3 more months (a full year of homeschooling ) she will have 30 credits (3 more college, 2 more rigorous Honors homeschool coruses.)

Next semester, after Christmas, she will be taking at least 3 CC classes and she plans to self-study for 2 more CLEP exams. That will be 35 credits.

As you can see by the numbers, Homeschoolers can keep up with--and surpass--their p/s peers.

If dd homeschools all the way through high school without CC classes, she'll have 32 credits. If she does take CC classes, then I'm not sure how many she'll have.

Thanks! Part of me hates to leave out anything as my daughter worked really hard to earn those credits.
It's a tough call sometimes! As some previous posters have said, some that look at the transcripts could possibly roll their eyes and not give your dd a fair shake if they think she has a padded transcript. For HER sake it may be better to combine some as other posters have also said, and make it strong, yet more comparable to other transcripts they are seeing. YOU know she worked hard. SHE knows she worked hard! She learned a lot and is only a better person for it all! That's the credit she gets if you can't give her full credit for every single thing. After all, hopefully she didn't do those things ONLY for credit, but to gain a broader and deeper education/knowledge base! :)

You may be able to find middle ground. I made sure that almost all the things my son had done were on his transcript, either as a class or as an extra credit, and then didn't worry too much about whether the transcript correctly reflected how much work he had put into them. If it wasn't enough work for a half credit, I listed it as extra curricular or lumped it in with something else, but some of the things he did that were more work I downplayed. In the end, I had a transcript that reflected my son but still allowed colleges to compare what he had done to the high school experience of other students. I just had to let go of the how much part.

-Nan

Jane,

I wonder if there is another way you can not have so many credits if you're concerned about it. Many people use 8th grade high school credits like Algebra I and French I and such. Generally, I think this isn't necessary unless your student will be missing credits. College admission folks are smart enough to know that a child who completes Latin II and III successfully, obviously did Latin I. Of course, you can put a note that explains also, something like "Algebra I, Geometry, Spanish I, and Latin I completed in jr high."

Anyway, just another consideration.

I can list 8 academic credits per year on my Kolbe transcript. Non-academic electives are given 1/2 credit, no matter how much time we put into them.

At dh's high school some especially motivated students take 8 classes per year. They rush to the cafeteria between classes to eat. I think our local ps offers 8 classes per day plus lunch. In that case, it wouldn't be impossible to have 32 credits on a transcript.

At dh's high school some especially motivated students take 8 classes per year. They rush to the cafeteria between classes to eat. I think our local ps offers 8 classes per day plus lunch. In that case, it wouldn't be impossible to have 32 credits on a transcript.

Good to know, thanks!

Is there such a thing as listing too many credits?

My daughter is dual-enrolled in cc. When she graduates high school at the end of this year, she will have taken 33 classes including those at home and her cc classes. Should I list all the classes on her high school transcript? Is there any downside to doing so? Tia!

I don't feel that there can be "too many" credits. I think the important part is in the presentation of the transcript and if there is any backing to the homeschooled courses. Also I think it depends on what courses they are doing, and what their college plans are.

I expect our kids to have around 30 credits on their high school transcripts.

Our transcript will be organized by subject: math, science, language arts, social studies, electives. The electives will be grouped by categories for areas that will have a lot (music for Dd, Computers for Ds, PE, Foreign language, etc).

I know our public high schools give four years of PE/Health/Drivers Ed. So I will list 3 yrs of PE, 1 semester of health, and 1 semester of DE.

In general Ds and Dd will have:

5 credits of Language Arts (English 9, English 10, Composition and Research, Themed Literature, U.S. Literature). Dd will also have 1/2 credit of World Literature if she reads/analyzes one more world lit book.

4 credits of Social Studies (World History I, World History II, U.S. History, U.S. Government/Comparative Government).

4-5 credits in Math (Dd will have Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, and additional math while Ds will have Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Precalculus, CC Calculus).

3-7 credits in Science (Dd will have Integrate Science, Life Science, and one more science of her choosing while Ds will have aerospace, chemistry, geology, astronomy, physics and then CC Chemistry I and II).

Then electives will include PE/health/DE, foreign language, computers, music, consumer education/economics, etc.

Dd does music. By the end of high school she will complete four years (year round) of private lessons and 3 yrs of performing in a band (year round). I will count this as 4 credits of applied music. If she was attending public school... she would get credit for four years of band. Dd also will have music fundamentals (done over 3 semesters but I will count only 1 credit). She will also have 1 year of music history. So at this time she should have 6 credits in music. She will also have some CC credits added in starting next year (junior year). But I may not include all her CC classes as high school credit. For example, in CC she will also be required to take applied music classes. These will be only CC credit unless we drop her private music lessons. It also depends if she will need to "repeat" any courses such as music appreciation (her music history) but she may be able to test out of the CC course and just go to the next level course. If she has to repeat it... then the CC course will not be used at high school credit.

Ds is doing a lot with computers. He took a CC course last year for 1 high school credit. He is currently self learning on computer programming and doing Cyber Patriots with Civil Air Patrol. He will get about 3 credits in computers.

So in all... Dd will probably earn 29-31 credits and Ds will probably earn 31 credits. A few will be from CC courses and will be listed as such in the high school transcript (mark with asterick with explaination at bottom of page).

JMO

Which is why I plan to have my kids take as many SAT II, CLEP, and AP exams as possible. More of a way to "prove" our transcripts. Of course if my kids don't do well on these exams then I will need to reconsider if they earned the credit and if it is something that they have an over abundance of credit in a category... well then I can drop a few from the transcript.

Also I plan to put in an explaination notes where ever I think it is needed... for example Ds will have 7 credits in science. I have backing from public school that he is an accelerated student in math and science. He has SAT from 6th and 8th grade, and CC placement exams from summer before 9th grade to "prove" he is accelerated. I don't think colleges will be shocked to see high credits in math and science when I explain that Ds has planned to be an astrophysicist since 5th grade-LOL. But then again I could be wrong.

Edited by AnitaMcC

FWIW, I was a "normal" public-schooled kid (many years ago) and entered college at the University of Michigan with 48 credits, 7 credits shy of junior standing. Incidentally, I was accepted to Harvard but didn't enroll. So, I guess they did appreciate all my credits. :-P

FWIW, I was a "normal" public-schooled kid (many years ago) and entered college at the University of Michigan with 48 credits, 7 credits shy of junior standing. Incidentally, I was accepted to Harvard but didn't enroll. So, I guess they did appreciate all my credits. :-P

Thanks, Meredith. :001_smile: