Menu

Video Text after pre-algebra? (cross post)

Video Text after pre-algebra? We're finishing up Chalkdust pre-algebra, and I'm reconsidering my plans for algebra. I really wanted to use Foerster or Dolciani, but my kids did so well with the DVD approach I started looking into other video based programs. I've heard great things about VT, but since we've already finished a pre-algebra course, I'm worried about redundancy. Has anyone done this?

I would not skip Module A - even if most of it would be review (and a little review never hurt anyone!) as while going over prealgebra Module A also gets the student used to the Videotext method (which does NOT use calculator,. btw!). If the material is familiar Module A should go fast (and you can always resell it when you are done - just do not let the student write int he workbooks. That is what notepaper is for ;) 0

Well, you can easily use a graphing calculator if you want to (like with the graphing problems in Module B...)

My ds did not use a calculator at all - I think Videotext explains why they do NOT want one used - the kid learns more the "how" and "why" by doing it all by hand. It is easy enough to learn how to us a calculator later on, once all the algebra is truly understood (this was reiterated to us by ds's current math teacher in high school who actually knew about Videotext and said he wished the district would use it for algebra!)

May I ask why you are leaving Chalkdust? We have had good success with it, but I do have a friend who is trying to make a decision between CD and Videotext. I have no experience with Videotext, so I am just curious. Any insights I could share with her?