Menu

Reader’s Digest condensed books - would anyone buy these?

Not a single one of them ever sells at the large book sale I run. We can't get rid of them. We end up donating them to the library (because the library will take anything in hopes that some of the batch will be good). I've been told that the library donates the rejects to prisons -- or recycles them if they're really worthless.

Maybe a theater group could use them as props.

• 3 months later...
Guest bailey12
Do you think there is there a market for the old Reader’s Digest condensed books? A family member has dozens from the 50’s, 60’s and 80’s. Just wondering it’s worth trying to sell them.

I would like to buy your books if you still have them

Hi Bailey -- welcome!!!

I would suggest that you send a Private Message to Nature to see if she still has the books. She might not see that this thread has been bumped back up to the top, so you might not get a response to your post.

Just click on her name and you will see a drop-down list that will include an option to send her a message.

Again, welcome to the forums! :001_smile:

Cat

• 1 year later...

I don't think they're worth anything, but maybe you could try to find a forum for used book sellers and ask them for advice. We're homeschoolers here, not used book experts, so you're probably better off asking your question elsewhere.

I hope I'm wrong about the books not having any $$$ value! :001_smile:

(I'd also like to let you know that, on this forum, it's considered pushy to bump your own thread every few minutes.)

I never understood the draw of these books. My mother had 50 or 60 of these. She was the only one who read them. She said that they were the only way she had time to read an entire book. I pointed out that she was not reading whole books and shw could read an entire book instead of a couple condensed books. Her logic made no sense to me. I would rather read one whole book than three or four condensed books. She was shocked when she moved and tried to sell them and no one would buy them and was offended when she tried to give them away and no one and no organization or thrift store would take them.

Does anyone know the history of these books? What was the original draw or purpose? Weren't they a monthly club type thing where they sent one each month or something like that?

I don't think they're worth anything, but maybe you could try to find a forum for used book sellers and ask them for advice. We're homeschoolers here, not used book experts, so you're probably better off asking your question elsewhere.

I hope I'm wrong about the books not having any $$$ value! :001_smile:

(I'd also like to let you know that, on this forum, it's considered pushy to bump your own thread every few minutes.)

huh? This post is over a year old! :lol:

I made the original post in 2010 and no one posted anything recently until you did, Catwoman on 8/2/12; then after several other people posted, I responded to Photo Ninjan on 8/4/2012.

You made the comment:

Is that aimed at me since I started this thread? I never bumped up the thread. I made the initial post, then after getting inquiries from people who wanted to buy them, I posted that they were sold and then this most recent post.

If I’m not understanding something here, please let me know.

Also, I’ve been a member for two years—is that ‘new’?

• 1 year later...
Guest bridge831

I know this is an old post but I thought I would try anyways. I also have old reader digest books and was wondering if anyone would like to buy them.

Do you think there is there a market for the old Reader’s Digest condensed books? A family member has dozens from the 50’s, 60’s and 80’s. Just wondering it’s worth trying to sell them.

Oh my goodness! I used to read them, as my parents had a plethora of them in our "library" growing up. You could try to auction them on eBay, or perhaps sell them in a yard sale...Sometimes what I call junk is someone else's treasure ;-) (Just realized this is an older post...)

• 2 months later...

I'm on our local Library Book Sale Board.

We can sometimes sell a few of these for 10 cents.

Sadly, the recycle bin is the likely destination for most of these.

Alternately, our library staff took about 100 of them and creatively stacked/glued them into the shape of a bulldozer for the kids area.

OR a non-reader will "decorate" their living room with bookshelves full of these (that are never meant to be read).

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Book Geek

We re-purpose the Reader's Digest books and always looking for them and yes we will buy them. Shoot me a PM if you're looking to get rid of some

Guest PaulaPowell

We re-purpose the Reader's Digest books and always looking for them and yes we will buy them. Shoot me a PM if you're looking to get rid of some

Hello Book Geek - I have 16 of these books all in good condition - have sent you a PM.

Regards

Paula

• 5 months later...

I have Readers Digest condensed books that I'd like to sell or repurpose. There are somewhere between 50-100 of them that my folks collected over the years. They're all in very good condition, and 90% of them are unread.

Does anyone have thoughts on where to find buyers for them or creative ways to use them (other than burning during winter to keep warm or leveling a table)?

You could try just posting them on Craigslist for free. Personally I love them, at least the pre-2000 ones. They're almost all good books and super clean which is nice. I couldn't even count how many I've read. I don't really have time to read them anymore though between kids, all the non-fiction I want to read, and books on DD's booklist that I try to read ahead of her.

This is what you do with Reader's Digest Condensed books, or any other books that you want to get rid of. Take 7 to 10 books glued them together drill a hole down the center by lamp kit and make lamps out of them. Then sell them at your next garage sale.

I've seen where people have also use them as table legs but I'm not quite sure how that works.