Menu

Looking for open stockware dishes or a set with specific qualifications.

I currently own a set of white dishes that includes dinner plates, salad plates, soup/cereal bowls and dessrt bowls. The problem is a great deal of the pieces have been broken and I have not been able to find another one of these sets anywhere. So I would like to buy a set as similar as possible. The requirements are that it is white and has both size plates and bowls. I want a medium weight ceramic, not as fine as china but not as heavy as stoneware. I am willing to buy by the piece, in four piece settings or a complete set at a time but I haven't been able to find anything like this anywhere. Corelle does have a open piece set called White Frost that has all the pieces I want and they are very reasonably priced but the pieces are extremely light and I would prefer something a little heavier if possible. Has anyone seen anything like this or know where I might look to find it?

If not, exactly how heavy is Fiesta Ware? Is it a heavy stoneware?

I've had these from Williams and Sonoma since 1997. I bought these cereal bowls to go along with them as they match. This version is actually porcelain and is a wee bit thinner and may be more what you're looking for.

You can actually find them at almost any restaurant supply house. I happened to need to buy them mail order at the time.

The ones I have are less heavy than stoneware but definitely NOT Corelle.

I "dress them up" by using colorful salad plates and serving ware.

asta

Edited by asta

I'm a huge fan of Fiestaware, I have 8 white place settings and some colored plates and bowls. It is pretty heavy, if you want to feel it, they have it at Macy's and Kohls. When Macy's is having a good sale, their prices are very competitive, that's where I bought my sets. I have ordered individual plates and bowls from Amazon.

I've had these from Williams and Sonoma since 1997. I bought these cereal bowls to go along with them as they match. This version is actually porcelain and is a wee bit thinner and may be more what you're looking for.

You can actually find them at almost any restaurant supply house. I happened to need to buy them mail order at the time.

The ones I have are less heavy than stoneware but definitely NOT Corelle.

I "dress them up" by using colorful salad plates and serving ware.

asta

Thanks, this is more like I am looking for. I will check them out.

We have some that would match your specifications from pottery barn. I bought them at a pb outlet a few years ago and just bought a few extras last month. They are sturdy but usually only around $5 an item which was perfect for us since we don't use plastic dishes for the kids.

Have you looked here? Surely something will work - that's a LOT of white dishes!

Umm, thanks. I found exactly what I was looking for: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=102966&RN=780& . I would like 10 of the 5 piece settings plus 10 of the 6" fruit bowls. Now I just need $500. :o

ETA: By the way, this is exactly what the set I already had looks like. I got it at Walmart for about $40 maybe. If only I had known, I would have bought several sets.