Menu

writing with pen and paper or computer

Sharon

Should I be concerned that my 6th grader would prefer to do any writing assignments he has only on the computer as opposed to old fashioned pen/pencil and paper?

Should I try and encourage my 6th grader to do some of his writing assignments with pen/pencil and paper or let him write to his hearts content on the computer? He does have to write for other subjects such as latin translations, math, workbooks etc. but paragraphs, summaries etc he prefers (understandably so) the computer. Is it worth the fuss to have him do old fashioned way sometimes?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sharon

I decided it was a battle I didn't want to fight so DD drafts and finalizes on the computer. She does enough actual penmenship across the subjects.

When I thought it over, I remember that I had to have all of my assignments typed in college. A prof. wouldn't take a handwritten assignment except in Math classes. So she needs to start practicing Word Processing.

I turned off the auto correct for spelling though. ;)

Edited by jannylynn

I think by 6th grade (middle school) final drafts should be done on the computer if possible. My girls are in 7th and I have them draft by hand but the final is typed, this is what will be expected of them in college. Both of my girls are excellent typists now as well which I think will serve them well in the future.