Menu

IEW users

Mama2Boys

Could you please tell me how IEW has worked for your family. We are currently using WWE1&2 and FLL3. I was wondering if I could use IEW Level A in addition to the WWE and FLL, or would this be overkill? Also, How do your children respond to IEW? Do they enjoy it or has it been a chore for them to complete? We are enjoying WWE and FLL. I just feel like they should be doing more independent writing. Thanks for the response :)

This is our first year with IEW, and I'm just using it with my son (7). Technically it starts in 3rd so we've been tip-toeing into it, working with the first unit (doing key word outlines of short paragraphs, then narrating back based on the notes). I really like the program. I bought TWSS, which will be more teacher-intensive, instead of getting the one where Mr. Pudewa does the teaching for you. I like that you can adapt writing assignments with what you're already teaching. I'm not familiar with the other products you're using, so I can't say if it would be overkill or not. There's a money-back guarantee. You could try asking at the IEW yahoo group.

Leah

This year we are trying the theme book All Things Fun & Fascinating along with WWE. (We alternate - on weeks that I planned a lesson from IEW, I canceled WWE.) My boys are enjoying it so far (ds#1 and ds#2); we are only doing the KWO and retelling right now, but my otherwise "this is too much to write" ds#1 is rewriting the entire passage on his own. I think next year I'm going to use the TWSS and incorporate the lessons into history, science, and literature with them. I'd rather learn the program myself and teach it rather than have it taught directly to my boys, so I can modify as I see fit (my background is in reading and writing, so overall I feel confident teaching writing, but I have a writing-resistant child). But, thus far we are enjoying our introduction to the program. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the responses. I have signed my oldest up for Classical Conversations Essentials and I am learning more about IEW. I have ordered the TWSS to help me along as well. I still love WWE and FLL. I think I may alternate them like you suggested. That is a wonderful idea. Thanks again everyone for the thoughts and encouragement. Hugs.

I am doing WWE2/3 & IEW with dd7 this year. I am just introducing KWOs in SWI-A. The IEW yahoo group suggested using Magic School Bus paragraphs to outline. I will try that soon also. For now, I like having models to work with from the notebook.

We love Andrew Pudewa. His method & SWB's dovetail nicely -- as they approach writing from 2 different angles.

We do CC also and they use IEW in the Essentials program (afternoon). I'm looking forward to learning IEW in a group setting when the time is right. We'll probably wait until 4th to join that group.