Menu

Video Text after pre-algebra?

Perry

We're finishing up Chalkdust pre-algebra, and I'm reconsidering my plans for algebra. I really wanted to use Foerster or Dolciani, but my kids did so well with the DVD approach I started looking into other video based programs. I've heard great things about VT, but since we've already finished a pre-algebra course, I'm worried about redundancy. Has anyone done this?

If I did use it, I would probably do as you did and use it after pre-algebra, even though that is not recommended. This is because it teaches mathematical language from the very first pre-algebra lesson, and it uses it all the way through; so I would start over at that point with the VT pre-algebra so that DD could learn the language in the context of material that she already knows quite well, so that she could really master it and move on.

I spent quite a bit of time recently at a conference reviewing the first chapter and a half, and I think that it really gives information VERY quickly. An avid math student would love and benefit from this program. My DD, not so much.

Last fall, when she was 10 and just starting fifth grade, she completed Rod & Staff Math 8, which contains most of what you would find in a good pre-algebra book. We have the VideoText videos (my 17-year-old used them years ago for Algebra 1 and 2 -- very successfully, I might add, since he tested straight into Precalculus the following year), so I let her try out Module A. It was clear right away that she would need hand-holding. I didn't have any time to work with her, so we put the videos away for a while. I plan to bring them out again this summer and work through the program with her.

The fact that she did need hand-holding -- which is something she has never needed before in math -- was an indication to me that Module A (the pre-algebra module) was challenging in a way that her previous studies had not been. It went faster. It wasn't as slow and steady as Rod & Staff (which I love and highly recommend). She had to pay CLOSE attention to the teachers on the screen, and if her attention wandered she would be lost. Adjusting to the fast pace and different format will be challenging for her, but that's OK -- she needs to learn to deal with that. Module A isn't very lengthy, and having my child go through it will be worthwhile, even though she has had some pre-algebra before and even though she is math-smart.

Last fall, when she was 10 and just starting fifth grade, she completed Rod & Staff Math 8, which contains most of what you would find in a good pre-algebra book. We have the VideoText videos (my 17-year-old used them years ago for Algebra 1 and 2 -- very successfully, I might add, since he tested straight into Precalculus the following year), so I let her try out Module A. It was clear right away that she would need hand-holding. I didn't have any time to work with her, so we put the videos away for a while. I plan to bring them out again this summer and work through the program with her.

The fact that she did need hand-holding -- which is something she has never needed before in math -- was an indication to me that Module A (the pre-algebra module) was challenging in a way that her previous studies had not been. It went faster. It wasn't as slow and steady as Rod & Staff (which I love and highly recommend). She had to pay CLOSE attention to the teachers on the screen, and if her attention wandered she would be lost. Adjusting to the fast pace and different format will be challenging for her, but that's OK -- she needs to learn to deal with that. Module A isn't very lengthy, and having my child go through it will be worthwhile, even though she has had some pre-algebra before and even though she is math-smart.

Yea - what Rebecca said. We definately benefitted from VT from the very beginning even though we'd done quite a bit of "pre-algebra'. Very worthwhile and a terrific program.