Menu

Hold on... are you supposed to start copywork before a child can read?

lovinmomma

Nope. Read first, then copy.

I wouldn't. It would just seem like copying gobbly-gook if they can't read the words. We did do some copy work when my oldest was learning to read with SWR but I only used words he had already learned to spell and read. We didn't start WWE until he was reading fluently.

OK. Thank Gals! That's what I was thinking.

P.s. Hi Taira!

Mine, until recently she was much more interested in writing than in reading. She'd copy all kinds of things, labels, magazine titles, etc. She is still at cvc reading level. We still do basic copy work and handwriting because she likes it and it helps with letter recognition. Maybe 10 minutes a day.

Mine, until recently she was much more interested in writing than in reading. She'd copy all kinds of things, labels, magazine titles, etc. She is still at cvc reading level. We still do basic copy work and handwriting because she likes it and it helps with letter recognition. Maybe 10 minutes a day.

Sounds like my girl! She LOVES writing. Has no interest in reading. I haven't forced her to learn to read, but in Jan. when she turns 6 I'm going to require that she does the new AAR. I'm mean.

Sounds like my girl! She LOVES writing. Has no interest in reading. I haven't forced her to learn to read, but in Jan. when she turns 6 I'm going to require that she does the new AAR. I'm mean.

If she likes writing so much, you could have her copy CVC words or whatever you're working on in reading. It might help reinforce the concept for her in an enjoyable way while sneakily teaching reading. She'll never know how mean you are!

we use dancing bears which has kids tracing words as they learn to read. my DS LOVES this!! I say the word orally, he traces it while saying the sounds and then he reads it. This really has done wonders for his understanding and his confidence in reading.

With my first three dc, I waited until they could read. That was the best decision for them. My baby, however, who just started first grade, is doing copywork now. I found that if I chose short sentences that matched what she is learning in her phonics program, it reinforces the phonics, and she is finally starting to read better. I think the copywork is helping. She loves to write by the way.

SL LA has children doing copywork before they've even learned all the sounds. I think they use it as a tool to teach phonics, but it annoys the heck out of me. But now I have this 5yo who finished his HWT workbook in 2 weeks. He's still reading CVC words. He adores all the copywork. His handwriting is better than his 7 yo brother's, but he still can't reliably spell his own name. I have no idea where this child came from. :001_huh:

Ok, I guess I'm trying to say, do what works best for your child. Reading and writing skills are not the same. :001_smile:

Before I knew better, I had taught my dd at 4yrs old how to write and she was writing before she ever learned to read. It didn't encourage any sight reading though as you had asked. The only sight words I've given her are those in the OPGTR and she still wants to try and pronounce them instead of using them as sight words. So no problems here with introducing writing (copywork) first. ;)

Edited by Classically Minded

SL LA has children doing copywork before they've even learned all the sounds. I think they use it as a tool to teach phonics, but it annoys the heck out of me. But now I have this 5yo who finished his HWT workbook in 2 weeks. He's still reading CVC words. He adores all the copywork. His handwriting is better than his 7 yo brother's, but he still can't reliably spell his own name. I have no idea where this child came from. :001_huh:

Ok, I guess I'm trying to say, do what works best for your child. Reading and writing skills are not the same. :001_smile:

This made me laugh. Thanks!

Yes. Dd 6 did/does copywork before reading fluently. We started WWE 1 in June when dd6 was decoding/almost reading. Today in WWE 1, she wrote something about Caddie Woodlawn moving to Wisconsin. I had to help her read the words phonetically. We do hours of copywork per week and it is helping build reading skills. I don't have a problem with assigning copywork if the reading isn't mastered. It will come. :)