Menu

How colleges find homeschool students...

Guest KaciMI

Guest KaciMI

How is it we're getting mail from dozens and dozens of colleges? How do they find the students, exactly?? Daughter didn't take the SATs. She is dual enrolling.

I've become convinced lately that my internet provider sells my name and address to advertisers based on what I Google. I have known for a fact that they sell my e-mail address, but now I think it is more.

For instance, my daughter has been followed by the same orthodontist for 4 or 5 years, so I didn't do any researching of orthodontists. He recently sold his practice, however, just a couple of weeks before she was actually supposed to get braces, so I started looking at websites of the orthodontists that some friends recommended. Now it is a couple of weeks later, and I am getting snail mail from local orthodontists, 4 or 5 of them (not the ones recommended), and I have never gotten ads from orthodontists before.

Also for what it's worth, I make it a point not to do business with any of these vendors who acquire my contact information this sneakily.

Terri

This may not be internet related. If I was an orthodontist who needed business and I knew an established one was leaving, I would be doing a mass mailing to my area.

Christine

I've become convinced lately that my internet provider sells my name and address to advertisers based on what I Google. I have known for a fact that they sell my e-mail address, but now I think it is more.

For instance, my daughter has been followed by the same orthodontist for 4 or 5 years, so I didn't do any researching of orthodontists. He recently sold his practice, however, just a couple of weeks before she was actually supposed to get braces, so I started looking at websites of the orthodontists that some friends recommended. Now it is a couple of weeks later, and I am getting snail mail from local orthodontists, 4 or 5 of them (not the ones recommended), and I have never gotten ads from orthodontists before.

Also for what it's worth, I make it a point not to do business with any of these vendors who acquire my contact information this sneakily.

Terri

Daughter did very well on the College Placement test. So far she has 17 credits with a 4.0. So am guessing they get the information from the Communitiy College.