Menu

If you loved BF Early American, what did you do and love after it?

walkermamaof4

We are enjoying this year the most ever. We've used Sonlight (didn't love the selections chosen for the ages they were chosen for) and also Veritas (way too much way too young for my kids) as well as SOTW1 in the past (don't love a spine so much as great books) but tried BF this year. My kids love the coloring pages and the stories are perfect. I like all of the books instead of the one spine like in SOTW and I like these book choices more than SL, although my older 2 are reading SL core 3 on their own using the schedule in addition to joining in on BF.

What should we do next year? What would we love as much?

I might add, I bought the Truthquest guide this year for "extras" and find it overwhelming -- too many choices, very few are noted as being especially wonderful. I'd prefer something that is very doable/achievable and full of wonderful books. I'd rather purchase as much as I can and only use the library if we feel like it, not bc/ we have to, bc/ of our current season in life with other responsibilities.

Also, sometimes we do projects from the Homeschool in the Woods Time Travelers cd's.

Oh, I do prefer a Christian bent rather than secular.

Thanks for any input on what worked for you!

Guest mrsjamiesouth
We are enjoying this year the most ever. We've used Sonlight (didn't love the selections chosen for the ages they were chosen for) and also Veritas (way too much way too young for my kids) as well as SOTW1 in the past (don't love a spine so much as great books) but tried BF this year. My kids love the coloring pages and the stories are perfect. I like all of the books instead of the one spine like in SOTW and I like these book choices more than SL, although my older 2 are reading SL core 3 on their own using the schedule in addition to joining in on BF.

What should we do next year? What would we love as much?

I might add, I bought the Truthquest guide this year for "extras" and find it overwhelming -- too many choices, very few are noted as being especially wonderful. I'd prefer something that is very doable/achievable and full of wonderful books. I'd rather purchase as much as I can and only use the library if we feel like it, not bc/ we have to, bc/ of our current season in life with other responsibilities.

Also, sometimes we do projects from the Homeschool in the Woods Time Travelers cd's.

Oh, I do prefer a Christian bent rather than secular.

Thanks for any input on what worked for you!

Why don't you stick with BF and do either the Westward expansion or the Geography. We did Early American in 3rd grade and Geography for 4th grade. I added in some books from Module 6 of SCM.

We followed Early American with Westward Expansion. My only scheduling problem with Westward Expansion is that it goes back in time. Early American ended with the Civil War. Westward Expansion went back to Daniel Boone and Revolutionary times. Both spent a fair amount of time on Lewis and Clark. I wish I had done them together, not separately.

After completing BF Early American and Westward, I'm doing SOTW vol 4 with readers I've selected from various reading lists. We also have Joy Hakim's US History as a supplement. We are really enjoying this! There are so many books available for read alouds.

Other ideas would be another guide from BF. California History would probably follow Westward Expansion. You could do something "off timeline" like History of Science or History of the Horse.

When I first started homeschooling, my dd hated history. We did BF early American for her third grade year, and she loved it! So, the next year, I ditched a history curriculum and just made a list of books I thought we would enjoy for modern American history. We read through the best books--historical fiction, biographies, etc http://www.abookintime.com lists books in chronological order, so I used that and Sonlight's core 4 list to make my selections. I pretty much have done that for history ever since. History is now dd's favorite subject as well as the rest of my dc now too.

Dd like BF so much because we read such good books. That's the key, I think. :)