Menu

What does the season of autumn inspire in you?

For some reason, I've always been more of an "autumn cleaner" than a "spring cleaner." I think it's the gearing up for all the holidays that inspires me to start rearranging, knocking the dust off, and de-cluttering.

I also notice a difference in my cooking, making more stews, soups, beans, and chili. I definitely bake more in the last three months of the year!

I do start thinking about Christmas, which means I make lists. Oh, and I tend to light candles in the evening more. Not sure why...

For some reason, I've always been more of an "autumn cleaner" than a "spring cleaner." I think it's the gearing up for all the holidays that inspires me to start rearranging, knocking the dust off, and de-cluttering.

I also notice a difference in my cooking, making more stews, soups, beans, and chili. I definitely bake more in the last three months of the year!

I do start thinking about Christmas, which means I make lists. Oh, and I tend to light candles in the evening more. Not sure why...

Me too! All of the above - except the candles. I could go for some nice unscented ones though...

Oh, I forgot to list baking. I definitely bake twice as much leading up to

Christmas than any other time. I start with apple pies right about now and by December we are fat and happy. :lol:

Well, my dad always said you need to fatten up for the winter! :D

And, oh my...apple pie sounds delicious right now!

Autumn inspires me to look at my relationships. I'm not a big relational person. I tend towards List-enforcer, but autumn always slows me down. I rake leaves, bake cookies, snuggle with books, drink hot tea.

Autumn always results in a relationship refresher and PEACE around here.

Fall is the time when the sun has shifted just enough away from my big windows in the family room that I can take the draperies down and have them cleaned. It's also a time when my dh usually goes on a trip for a week, leaving me with a time of easy meals, casual time schedules, and *extra* time for cleaning! :001_smile: I like the house to be as dust-free (ha ha) as possible before the house is closed up for cold weather.

I also like to do my Christmas "thinking" at this time of year. I'm making my gift lists, and I like to have my shopping done by Thanksgiving so I can enjoy the holidays without stress.

I break out the power sprayer, and clean everything I can think of. Trash cans, garage floors, window sills, porches, outdoor furniture and toys, etc. It does a great job on flip-flops and barn boots also. I line them up and blast away. Power-spraying is just so...powerful and effective! It makes me happy and I can go at it for a couple of days before I am satisfied.

Then I get out my mom's antique mixing bowl and fill it with green Granny Smith apples. I put the deep red runner on our old dining table and plunk down the apple bowl. I put little piles of pumpkins and gourds everywhere I can, and start lighting deep-hued candles. Ta-da! And I'm done. It's my favorite time of year to decorate.

Homemade soup is on the menu a lot!

The other thing I do is pick up the brightest red and orange maple leaves I can find, iron them between sheets of wax paper, and mail them off to any of my nieces and nephews in the Southwest that ask for them.

Autumn inspires me to look at my relationships. I'm not a big relational person. I tend towards List-enforcer, but autumn always slows me down. I rake leaves, bake cookies, snuggle with books, drink hot tea.

Autumn always results in a relationship refresher and PEACE around here.

How neat! I would like to make this one of my autumn rituals as well. Goes well with the tea drinking and baking.

Autumn means tons of baking for me. I also like to get through a few big cleaning projects before the holidays hit, and I love walking in the woods (before hunting season starts!). My favorite thing is probably taking advantage of wet, chilly fall weekends to catch up on the reading that gets pushed aside in better weather.

I'll join the bakers. I definitely ramp up my bread baking in autumn. And other cooking, as well...I love something that's been wallowing in the dutch oven for hours and hours. Especially if it had an entire bottle of red wine poured in with it.

Autumn just makes me calmer. I'm not a fan of summertime, so I feel much happier when the gray, rainy weather arrives. I'm one of those weirdos who wouldn't mind if it rained pretty much all the time.

Me, too.

I also start lighting fires in the fireplace and I pray for autumn rains so I can sit by the fire and read while listening to the rain pattering on the roof.

Cooking and baking with fresh pumpkin.

Fall/winter recipes.

Getting ready for Christmas.

Making sure everyone has warm clothes, the heaters in the cars work, arranging delivery of 3 tons of pellets for the stove, a full tank of heating oil, a full tank of propane, air conditioners are out of windows, weatherstripping and window covering (with plastic sheets) is done, lanterns ready in case of power outage.

Raking leaves, getting the yard and front porch ready for winter, cleaning the lawn mower for storage.

Not having to carry a purse because the pockets in my barn coat are big.

Fall is my 3rd favorite season; it's winter I hate.

Edited by RoughCollie

I made soup for dinner! It was pretty much the first chance I got. I like soup. And I'm a much better winter cook than summer.

Also with the baking.

And sewing, quilting--esp. for Christmas presents. I got started early this year, yay me, and have finished the presents for all nieces and nephews--library tote bags this time. :)

I'm a year-round baker, but autumn brings me to the oven even more often. Cooking in general. I tend to look at new cookbooks and try new recipes most often in the autumn.

Cleaning is definitely an autumn thing for me. While we're in the south, I have a definite need to 'prepare the den' for 'hibernation.' I tend to turn even more inwards (a more introverted introvert? Eek!) and more reflective. My birthday is in the autumn, and in general I do my "new year's resolutions" at that time instead of around January 1.

ALL OF THE ABOVE....right before actual fall-like a few weeks before the actual date of the first day of fall I just get the urge to bake and craft and it just gets stronger and the days go on LOL....already wanting to plan thanksgiving/christmas dinners (hubby thinks I'm nutz) lol I just feel more ALIVE this time of year.......

Cooking and baking with fresh pumpkin.

Making sure everyone has warm clothes, the heaters in the cars work, arranging delivery of 3 tons of pellets for the stove, a full tank of heating oil, a full tank of propane, air conditioners are out of windows, weatherstripping and window covering (with plastic sheets) is done, lanterns ready in case of power outage.

I love all that preparatory stuff. Testing the generator, renting a log splitter, freezing milk containers full of water to be sure we have enough, rotating the canned food...is it wrong that I rather enjoy preparing for a minor disaster?

Baking and soup making. Although I'm really trying to restrain myself on the baking since I'm trying to keep sugar to a minimum and my husband and I are both trying to lose some weight.

It is nice to be able to bake homemade bread without having to turn on the air conditioner!