Menu

Virginia State Colleges/Universities?

Faithr

We are thinking that child no.3 is going to probably attend a VA state school. Neither my dh nor went to school in VA, though we know lots of folks who did, but I'm just trying to collect as many impressions from other homeschoolers about VA state schools. My son seems at this stage (10th grade) to be most interested in Economics& Business/Finance, though he also is interested in computers as wel. He also enjoys science, though I'd be hard pressed to say which science is preferred. He's seems to enjoy all of it. Anyway, he isn't certain of what field exactly.

Anyway, I was just wondering about any feedback about experiences with VA colleges/universities; applying, being rejected, being accepted, scholarships, what the campus atmosphere is like, etc. Really, any feedback at all would be appreciated! LOL!

Thanks!

Hubby and I absolutely loved Va Tech. We both came from out of state to attend. His major was Civil Engineering. Mine was a combo of Physics and Liberal Arts. We loved the atmosphere and the education we got. I had close to a full scholarship of some sort - part merit - part need. I don't think hubby had either.

As for homeschooling... I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure Momsinthegarden has a son going there now.

Been to several, have young friends at several.

VCU--in Richmond. Very strong in the Arts. Art School one of the top in the nation. Only Cinema program (not film history or film studies) in VA. Some other programs (particularly sciences) strong, also.

Ds got in with GED (have to take if homeschooled, but you could probably fight that; we didn't) and low SAT scores, excellent recommendations, and excellent grades.

City campus--kinda yucky freshman dorms in mostly high rises. Honors dorms nicer. High crime, but lots of safe guards. Excellent food in cafeteria/giant food court. Not much housing for non-freshman, but apts (run around 800-900 for small two bedroom next to campus) are plentiful.

JMU--Campus very hilly. Lots of low brick buildings. Excellent food on campus (one of nation's best food courts). Rising in prominence. A good value--not sure of majors that are good.

GMU--George Mason. Boring campus--in suburban area, more "modern" buildings, great basketball team. Strong in several majors, esp music. Very lax security on campus, but generally safe. Big party culture.

VA Tech--GORgeous campus--huge stone buildings on big green lawns--incredibly impressive. Super-strong sciences/tech majors. Big sports, lots of partying, but not a "party school." Harder to get in to than JMU or VCU, not quite as hard as University of VA.

Radford--small campus, farthest down 81 corridor. Only 15-20 minutes from Bridgewater (very small, equine major college) and Va. Tech. Lots of partying. Easiest of all listed so far to get in to, but as a fallback school, accepts lots of kids that don't get into their first choice, which some say bumps the less qualified students out. Has several 5 year combo programs with VA Tech and UVA, including one that has you double majoring in Physics and Engineering, coming out with two BS degrees--3 years at Radford, 2 at VA Tech, for example. Cheaper than other colleges listed. Can have car on campus.

Old Dominion--in Norfolk. Depends on major--some say not as rigorous in some majors. IME, this is said by folks from Radford and other schools that seem comparable to ODU! Must be a rivalry...Kinda ugly campus buildings, imo. Easier to get in to--

Longwood--also easier to get in to, pretty buildings on campus, but only from pictures. Has 3/2 Physics-Engineering program with top schools.

There, just to get you started.

Are you in VA? THe community colleges have some sort of deal with the 4 yr state school that are almost automatic to get in to the bigger schools. I do think you have to have a good GPA at the cc.

There are also some good private schools. Again if you are in the state there is money for going to private schools that is awarded to residents.

Curiosity question -- why Virginia? If you live here, your request makes a lot of sense. In-state tuition is reasonable, and VA has a lot of amazingly good state schools. If you don't live in VA and thus isn't eligible for in-state tuition, your kid may find better merit aid and academic programs at various private colleges.

The only dealings I've had with state schools are with UVA and W&M.

UVA -- the business school at UVA is one of the top in the country, and the undergrad business/finance/econ majors at UVA are very strong. UVA is pretty open to homeschooled students.

W&M -- I don't know how strong their majors dealing with business/finance are, but a year ago W&M opened a gorgeous new building for its business school. W&M is also pretty open to homeschooled students. As a heads up, W&M unofficially "requires" (or maybe "prefers" is a better word) its homeschooled applicants to have multiple SAT2 scores.

Edited by Gwen in VA

I am in VA, which is why we are interested in in state schools. I know UVA is a top school, and I've actually known two homeschoolers who have gone there. However, they really deplored the atmosphere on the campus. It really flew in the face of their values and they had a very uncomfortable 4 years there. I don't know if the name is worth that discomfort and alienation.

Every Hokie I've ever talked to has loved VA Tech. I actually did the College Board questionaire and that is one of the schools that came up for us, so I think VA Tech might be a possibility. However, they really don't seem as homeschool friendly as other colleges.

I know of 2 kids going to UMW. I heard lots of things about the crummy dorms and food! I know nothing of the academics!

George Mason is a possibility because my son could live at home, if he wished to. The other schools that look interesting are W&M and Christopher Newport U.

Anyway, thanks all for your feed back. Chris in VA your list was awesome!

Every Hokie I've ever talked to has loved VA Tech. I actually did the College Board questionaire and that is one of the schools that came up for us, so I think VA Tech might be a possibility. However, they really don't seem as homeschool friendly as other colleges.

We went there on our college visits as we are two alumni that REALLY wanted our kids to follow in our footsteps. When we talked with both the Business Dept and Admissions they were both really open to homeschoolers. They have an adcom that works directly with homeschooled applicants. My oldest received a bit of info from them encouraging him to apply, etc (high scores on SAT/ACT and legacy might have been part of it). However, my oldest wanted small and Christian and his intended career field makes his desires a plus. We ended up deferring to his preferences since it IS his life (sigh). He's VERY happy where he is now, so we made the right decision. It still makes me wistful though (purely selfish in that aspect).

Isn't Virginia Tech the place that started running programs for younger children during their open house for homeschoolers because so many homeschoolers showed up with the whole family in tow? I think I remember reading that and thinking that that sounded about as homeschooling friendly as one could get.

-Nan

I googled Va Tech and homeschoolers to see if I could come up with something mentioning their open house, but I didn't come up with much at all. One thing I did come up with was an article about a Va Tech Biology professor who gave Apologia and BJU biology textbooks an F.

However, on their website they do slightly mention homeschoolers, lumped together with other nontraditional students, who need specialized attention when applying to VA Tech. So there's a little bit of notice. I guess I'm used to private Catholic schools who are openly courting homeschoolers, so I am noticing the big difference in approach among the colleges.

Still interested in VA Tech, though!

I googled Va Tech and homeschoolers to see if I could come up with something mentioning their open house, but I didn't come up with much at all. One thing I did come up with was an article about a Va Tech Biology professor who gave Apologia and BJU biology textbooks an F.

However, on their website they do slightly mention homeschoolers, lumped together with other nontraditional students, who need specialized attention when applying to VA Tech. So there's a little bit of notice. I guess I'm used to private Catholic schools who are openly courting homeschoolers, so I am noticing the big difference in approach among the colleges.

Still interested in VA Tech, though!

I don't know about the open houses as we visited on an "ordinary" day.

Any secular college Bio prof is going to give BJU or Apologia an "F" because they don't want to see creation mentioned positively at all. It's a one issue deal-breaker to them. If you're going to use either of the above, it's likely imperative to take the AP or at least SAT II exam to prove competence that is indisputable.

Terrific responses so far!

Yes, Creekland is correct. Our son is a junior at VA Tech, double majoring in CS and Math. Dh (RegGuheert on these boards) and I are Hokies. We both were EE majors and met in the EE building (how romantic!).

Our son loves Tech, and it has been a good fit for him. It worked for him as a completely homeschooled kid going straight to a large state university to live in one of the themed housing communities, Galileo for freshman engineering guys. He fit in right away with them because they were a little geeky, not into drinking, and rather studious. He has stayed with this group of friends even though he's now in one of the honors dorms. He has also found a good church and Bible study, something important for him. There are other communities, but not one for business majors. His cousin is in the leadership community and likes it.

It was very easy for ds to get into Tech. We didn't know about their requirements for SAT IIs, and didn't have him take any. Maybe they didn't have them three years ago (?). He had very good SAT scores, great mommy grades, we live in a rural area of VA (it's easier to get in if you live in podunk), and he was a legacy (that plays into it just a bit), so they accepted him right away. I think the SAT scores were the deciding factor, really. He also got into the honors program, which was more involved, but didn't get accepted into the honors dorm until his sophomore year (the living community is a subset of honors). We were glad for that because Galileo was a good fit for his freshman year.

VA Tech does have a bea-u-ti-ful campus. The weather is pretty good there, but bring your parka, umbrella, snow boots, and a waterproof backpack and shoes. Their food has been voted the best in the nation several times over the past few years. The towns of Blacksburg and Christiansburg are college-y and friendly, with many opportunities for recreation and activities. Some kids from more urban areas are "bored" there because they think of it as too "countrified." That's not a problem for us because there are more people at Tech than live in our county!

There is partying and sleeping around at Tech - the usual for a large state school, but classes are challenging enough to encourage a studious atmosphere. Still, ds does get frustrated with the students in the honors dorm, some (many?) of whom seem to be into drinking and hookups. He is staying in the honors dorm because it is very convenient, he is guaranteed housing until he graduates, and he gets a modest scholarship from it.

We know about the engineering, but not much about business or economics. I think UVA and W&M are better thought of for those disciplines but don't know how much. There is some snobbery about engineering and the hard sciences over business majors at Tech. The business dept. is quite large, though.

I've never heard of homeschooling activities for younger children visiting Tech. Sounds interesting!

Other schools - my impression I agree with Chris on everything, with my $0.02 thrown in:

Longwood - small college atmosphere, nurturing environment, at a state school price.

UVA - Preppy, rather "driven" atmosphere. Lots of partying. Excellent reputation and opportunity for an Ivy-like education.

W&M - Same as UVA with the snobbishness jacked up. Sorry - just my experience with grads from there (not SWB, naturally)! Please don't throw tomatoes!

GMU - Nuts and bolts atmosphere. Lots of commuters, lots of transfers from CC. I know several students who went there or go there who are quite satisfied with the school. One lives on campus in the honors dorm. Her only beef is that she is designing her own classics major and they don't have Greek (she knew that going in, though...). They have bent over backwards to accommodate her and she's generally happy.

JMU - Party reputation, great for education and nursing.

Bridgewater - Our niece went there. Very small private college with an equestrian atmosphere. She wasn't horsey, so it wasn't the greatest fit for her.

Radford - Same impression as Chris.

VCU - In a very scary area, but then we're country folks.

Liberty - Not a great reputation academically, but our dd is there and is loving the honors program, her biology dept. professors, and the quizbowl team. Great scholarship opportunities if you get into honors. Liberty actually has the highest percentage of students who go to grad school of any VA college.

I agree about the CCs - but be forewarned that you must have stellar grades to be able to transfer, plus some schools like W&M, UVA, and VA Tech really don't want transfers, so they make it difficult. Not all classes may transfer. A guy at our church got his AA and had a hard time getting into Tech. They finally let him know after the deadline. He's there and very happy, but it was hard for him to be strung along for months, hoping. GMU likes transfers, though.

All VA resident students are eligible for the VTAG grant if they attend a private VA college. It is simple to apply. This year the grant is $2600.

HTH, and best wishes searching. We're thankful to live in a state with so many good schools.

Blessings,

GardenMom

Edited by MomsintheGarden
Reg found some typos.

All VA resident students are eligible for the VTAG grant if they attend a private VA college. It is simple to apply. This year the grant is $2600.

I have never heard about this before. What is it precisely?

Faith,

A few others not mentioned (or at least I didn't see them when I skimmed)

Hampton Sydney

Washington and Lee

Randolph Macon

University of Richmond

Be forewarned that most VA universities do have extra hoops for homeschoolers (some require 3+ SAT2 scores and AP scores are not allowed as substitutes---I have no idea why!!) We have started on the testing train for my dd that wants to major in forensic chemistry. The only VA university that offers it as a major is VCU, but it is listed in the top 10 in the country. So, VCU does have strong science programs in addition to the arts (like Chris mentioned).

I have never heard of any other homeschooler getting a GED in order to attend VCU, so I am not sure about that info. They do offer a homeschool scholarship for engineering majors, so they do actually recruit homeschooled students.

We are going to their open house on the 16th. I am going to specifically inquire about the GED. Thanks for mentioning that Chris.

Any secular college Bio prof is going to give BJU or Apologia an "F" because they don't want to see creation mentioned positively at all. It's a one issue deal-breaker to them. If you're going to use either of the above, it's likely imperative to take the AP or at least SAT II exam to prove competence that is indisputable.

:iagree: that that's why the bio prof doesn't like Apologia or BJU.

This just makes me chuckle. Ds used Apologia exclusively for his high school science. He did Biology, Chem I & II, and Physics I & II. They didn't ask what texts he used, and we didn't say. I just listed them on his transcript with their plain names. We didn't do the SAT II test because we didn't know about the requirement. I'm sure they check for those now, though.

BTW, he did just fine in Chem and Physics at Virginia Tech. :)

GardenMom

I have never heard about this before. What is it precisely?

About VTAG - we had never heard of it, either. So when dd's financial aid adviser at Liberty kept saying she had to apply for it, I finally said, "What IS this VTAG scholarship you keep talking about?" They assumed everyone had heard about it! It's a grant from our tax dollars to students attending regionally accredited, nonprofit colleges in VA (except for religious training). You can also get it if you attend a private grad school (or med school) for a health-related profession.

Here is the official blurb:

http://www.schev.edu/students/factsheetVTAG.asp

Here is the application:

http://www.schev.edu/forms/tag%20app.pdf

HTH,

GardenMom

Guest BeekeepersWife!

I attended UVA and W&M, a LONNNGGG time ago (late 70's). I was not a Christian then, but looking back I'd say the academic atmosphere was highly liberal. UVA in general was more of a preppy/party school, but those elements certainly could be found both places. Both had excellent business schools; UVA's was considered one of the best in the country then (not sure about now, but I'd be surprised if that had changed).

Regarding Tech, I agree with all the comments already posted. Everyone I know who attended there loves that school. Back when my oldest two were in high school, though, Tech had a reputation for being the least-homeschool-friendly state school in Virginia. That would have been 7 or 8 years ago. Tech ranked homeschool applicants just above high school drop-outs/GED students. It's so good to hear they've lightened up!

Recently had a conversation with the parent of a VT student. His son and his son's best friend both applied (neither was homeschooled). They had nearly identical high school records, and very close SAT/AP scores. There was really only one difference in the applications: the best friend stated on the application that he wanted to get into the engineering school, and the son did not. His son was accepted, and the best friend was turned down. The engineering school is highly competitive!

The Apologia/BJU textbook issue makes me laugh! Dr. Henry Morris, considered the father of the modern-day creationist movement, and the founder of the Institute for Creation Research, was the head of Tech's civil engineering department from 1957 to 1970. Tech is probably still stinging from that...

One more college not yet mentioned: Patrick Henry College in Purcellville. It's probably not going to be a consideration for your son, since it's a relatively new private school and has no science, business, or math majors (yet). They've really been making a mark, though, in classical liberal arts, journalism, and government, and especially in forensics. My 14 yo dd is highly motivated to get into their strategic intelligence program. And, since they were founded by the same men who founded HSLDA, they're very homeschool friendly! Here's their site: http://www.phc.edu

Thanks, everyone! I know at least 5 couples who met at Va Tech! It must be very romantic there! LOL!

The reason we are thinking of Va state schools is that our oldest is at a private out of state school. She really wanted to go to a Catholic school. She's got a great scholarship but still. . . .and our next in line wants to attend a very expensive music conservatory. He'll be auditioning this December. He's taking a gap year (though he's studying for CLEP so he can earn some credits this year). So my dh is getting very nervous about all this money he's expending. Our now 15 yo really would be perfectly happy at a state school. I'd like one with a good campus ministry, so he can find a niche of friends who aren't doing the drinking/drugs/sleeping around thing. He's an introverted and very independent kind of personality, so I don't think he'd be that tempted to begin with, but it would be good to have moral support in trying to live morally!

I've heard good things about the campus ministry at Va Tech and UMW and W&M. I've not heard good things about UVA. In fact the kids I know who went there felt pretty isolated. George Mason has a phenomenal campus ministry. My dh and I were very impressed by Christopher Newport students. We'd never even heard of this university. But a bunch of them put on a musical this summer at our parish to raise money for Haiti earthquake victims. They were fantastic! Even though my son isn't into theater, the kids from CNU made a really good impression. It seems like a growing Univ. with its heart in the right place.

None of the private schools looks like particularly good fits at this moment, plus my son doesn't seem interested in health care so we wouldn't be eligible for the VGAT (but that is great to know about!). I've seen the Patrick Henry College buildings. It is a very stately looking campus, but I don't think it would be a good fit.

Thanks so much for all your feed back. I do think that is very ironic about the creationism professor at Va Tech. That gave me a good chuckle too!

. Our now 15 yo really would be perfectly happy at a state school. I'd like one with a good campus ministry, so he can find a niche of friends who aren't doing the drinking/drugs/sleeping around thing.

I've heard good things about the campus ministry at Va Tech and UMW and W&M.

I do think the Campus Minstry is good at VA Tech. Sadly I know about it because of the tragedy there. One of the young ladies that was killed was in our small homeschooling group. Lauren was a beautiful person who loved the Lord. The various Campus ministries she was involved in were very supportive and caring during the whole mess.

It is also a very beautiful campus in beautiful area of the state.

My dh and I were very impressed by Christopher Newport students. We'd never even heard of this university. It seems like a growing Univ. with its heart in the right place.

Yes CNU is a very growing campus. I am in that area of the state. They are also working on expanding the campus.

None of the private schools looks like particularly good fits at this moment, plus my son doesn't seem interested in health care so we wouldn't be eligible for the VGAT (but that is great to know about!).

You misunderstood about the VGAT- There is funding for all residents of VA that give them money for going to state private schools. I think almost all states have some sort of funding. It also varies from year to year. When my oldest was looking the amount was about $3,500 a year. So unless you aren't residents your son would be eligible for that money.

The private colleges in VA have had a month where they were offering visits. If you visited up to 3 colleges during that month you could get free application fees.

http://www.cicv.org/pcw.htm ah there is a link.

Thanks so much for all your feed back. I do think that is very ironic about the creationism professor at Va Tech. That gave me a good chuckle too!

here is a link I found with the colleges of VA both private and public

http://www.colleges.virginia.cc/

I am where you are at with a sophomore son. I'm trying to be in lala land with college with him though. My oldest is already there and I am not ready to be an empty nest.

But my son has the posibility of swimming in college so that adds a whole new aspect in the college search.

I have never heard of any other homeschooler getting a GED in order to attend VCU, so I am not sure about that info. They do offer a homeschool scholarship for engineering majors, so they do actually recruit homeschooled students.

We are going to their open house on the 16th. I am going to specifically inquire about the GED. Thanks for mentioning that Chris.

You may get conflicting information. On the website, the admission requirement is transcripts from an accredited High School OR a GED. BUT, under the VCUArts FAQ's, it says What if I am homeschooled. There it says "full transcripts" must be sent. We did the GED just to cover all the bases. You may not need it--check for sure.

You've gotten great information here. One more thing to remember, in addition to all of the extra hoops many of the VA schools require for homeschoolers, applicants from NOVA will have a much more difficult time getting in (especially to places like UVA) because the quota system will put them in Fairfax County's quota against students who have been trained that if they don't take 10 AP exams etc they won't get into college. Not to say it's impossible, but it's something to consider. Also, if you look at the academic expectations for classes taken during high school, they tend to be higher than what it typically seen on this board. This is particularly true for foreign language which is 4 - 5 years recommended for both UVA and W&M. Not sure about others. My oldest has decided not to go to a VA state school so we've stopped looking seriously at their requirements.

Heather

You've gotten great information here. One more thing to remember, in addition to all of the extra hoops many of the VA schools require for homeschoolers, applicants from NOVA will have a much more difficult time getting in (especially to places like UVA) because the quota system will put them in Fairfax County's quota against students who have been trained that if they don't take 10 AP exams etc they won't get into college. Not to say it's impossible, but it's something to consider. Also, if you look at the academic expectations for classes taken during high school, they tend to be higher than what it typically seen on this board. This is particularly true for foreign language which is 4 - 5 years recommended for both UVA and W&M. Not sure about others. My oldest has decided not to go to a VA state school so we've stopped looking seriously at their requirements.

Heather

:iagree: VA public universities are definitely not easy access for homeschoolers w/o lots of verification. What drives me nuts is that the CC system is so highly embraced when the academics is pitiful at best. :confused: I do not get it.

Chris,

I asked some moms that I know have homeschooled kids that are either attending or graduated from VCU and none of them were ever even aware of the accredited diploma/GED issue.

Did you just go ahead and submit a GED or was it requested? I am wondering if that info is on the website but not really applied.

THanks

:iagree: VA public universities are definitely not easy access for homeschoolers w/o lots of verification. What drives me nuts is that the CC system is so highly embraced when the academics is pitiful at best. :confused: I do not get it.

The whole system is messed up - even for those in the public high schools. When I was in school (I graduated from Lake Braddock in NOVA) we were all on the AP everything rat race. A friend of mine actually got into Harvard but not UVA. Bizarre.

Heather

JMU - excellent school, I have a music degree from there. Definitely lots of partying.

I have not seen discussion of Christopher Newport University. DS was accepted there and accepted into both the honors program and President's Leadership Program. (He chose to attend Liberty.) CNU is a smaller school of just over 5000 students. It is a beautiful, newer campus. I did not know that it was a state school until we researched the school. The PL program is unique to CNU and worth looking into. I highly recommend visiting the campus to see if the smaller campus is more appealing than the large state schools.

I have not seen discussion of Christopher Newport University. DS was accepted there and accepted into both the honors program and President's Leadership Program. (He chose to attend Liberty.) CNU is a smaller school of just over 5000 students. It is a beautiful, newer campus. I did not know that it was a state school until we researched the school. The PL program is unique to CNU and worth looking into. I highly recommend visiting the campus to see if the smaller campus is more appealing than the large state schools.

Oh I missed that this one hasn't been mentioned. It is a very nice campus. We were there 2 years ago because they hosted the VA state gymnastics championships that my daughter was in. We were very impressed with the campus. It doesn't fit what my oldest is looking at but it will be on the list when it comes time for my middle dd.

Heather

Moms, yes it was a moment of panic for us when we re-read the website and discovered that ds would need to take the GED. He did so without studying for it, but had a high pass.

I wish it would be made clearer! Anyway, even if we didn't need it, it might have helped him get in b/c he had no other test scores besides low SAT's--no AP, no CLEP, no co-op classes, etc. He did have 2 years of CAT and a Compass test--the Compass was taken so he could go to CC for a class, so that might have helped, too, IDK.

Anyway, it's interesting to me that other homeschoolers got in w/o accredited diplomas or GED. But it definitely says "complete transcript" under the homeschooling thing in the Art school FAQs--and no description of what that is! LOL

I'm just thankful he made it.

I personally know homeschoolers who have gotten into both UVA and William and Mary with NOVA classes. I don't know how many credits actually transferred though. I know one mom who has researched things very thoroughly (and currently has one student at W&M) and she is having her other kids attend NOVA in order to help them get into VA schools. So I don't understand about how attending NOVA decreases your chances. Also, if a student takes foreign languages at NOVA in their jr and sr years that's considered 4+ years of language in the admission office eyes. I think I very recently even read that at the W&M site.

Now one fairly new thing with UVA and the others is taking those SAT subject tests. They are really recommending taking at least 3. Gah!

I am super impressed by Christopher Newport U. That's definitely in the running for us.