Menu

WWYD RE: evaluation?

rafiki

Should I be concerned living in a high regulatory state and seeing the state seal involved?

What would you do if this was your ds? What should I look for or ask?

We've had evaluations done privately due to similar concerns. Maybe you could start with a neuropsych and follow up with whatever recommendations proceed from that.

If you're looking for very specific, detailed, concrete knowledge about how your child's mind and body work, I'd for for a full neuropsychological evaluation as the previous poster suggested. Ours involved eleven hours of testing spread over several days plus a good five hours of interviews and discussion with me, both before and afterwards. We ended up with a 28-page, single-spaced report full of critically important information about how our dd processes information, as well as a whole series of suggestions for what kinds of help to look for, where to look, what kinds of problems might crop up in the next several years, ways to deal with problems, etc. It was very expensive, as we went private, but worth its weight in gold.

I don't know exactly what your concerns are about state regulations, but as my dd approached junior high age and the state schooling regulations became stricter, we ditched the city-linked homeschool program we had worked with for a number of years and registered with an out-of-state umbrella school. They provided me with an advisor who was getting her master's in autism spectrum disorders and education (dd is an Aspie); they write up a transcript, turning what we do into something that looks pretty conventional; they're accredited, so there are no problems or issues about graduation or University of California admissions requirements later (should dd be that way inclined). We could certainly have gone our own way and become independent homeschoolers, but as I'm the anxious type in general and we do some fairly unconventional things, I wanted that security. I'm now very much at ease about what we do, and I have no one at this end breathing down my neck or watching us for state test scores or missteps. I can concentrate on dd's needs instead of worrying about someone breathing down my neck. This might be something for you to look into. Depending on the state law, you might still qualify for services through the schools; medical insurance might pay for some therapies depending on what the findings are when your child is evaluated.

I don't know exactly what your concerns are about state regulations, but as my dd approached junior high age and the state schooling regulations became stricter, we ditched the city-linked homeschool program we had worked with for a number of years and registered with an out-of-state umbrella school. They provided me with an advisor who was getting her master's in autism spectrum disorders and education (dd is an Aspie); they write up a transcript, turning what we do into something that looks pretty conventional; they're accredited, so there are no problems or issues about graduation ... We could certainly have gone our own way and become independent homeschoolers, but as I'm the anxious type in general and we do some fairly unconventional things, I wanted that security. I'm now very much at ease about what we do, and I have no one at this end breathing down my neck or watching us for state test scores or missteps. I can concentrate on dd's needs instead of worrying about someone breathing down my neck.

Karen, would you be willing to post the name of the school you chose? Or pm me with it? I live in a highly-regulated state and have the same kinds of concerns about my ds with Asperger's. Thank you.

Karen, would you be willing to post the name of the school you chose? Or pm me with it? I live in a highly-regulated state and have the same kinds of concerns about my ds with Asperger's. Thank you.

I PM'd you.

I have a few comments and those are in color below.

DS will be 7 in January. Last month I moved the kids to dh and I's D.O. who has a family practice. When I took ds in for his check up, he literally hid under my chair, although the nurse had him talking prior when she checked him in. The doctor said she suspects Aspergers, but with his other issues, having his own timeline since birth, hypotonia, multiple food allergies, dyslexia, sensory (craving motion/roughness, still sucking thumb), falls a lot, slow to grow, pseudo cross eyes, etc. she recommends he be evaluated. Good, not everyone has a doctor that is so willing and easy to work with.

She gave me the name of an evaluation center, I called and they won't schedule an apointment until all paperwork is returned (it's ~ 20 pages with detailed info on every doctor he's ever seen, all milestones, etc.), they are scheduling several months out, but what concerns me is we live in a high regulatory state - ds would be in 1st this year, and the state's seal is on this paperwork. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about this. Is it connected to a university or to a hospital? I took my dd to a Children's Hospital today and some of the paperwork had a state seal. I think it depends on where the funding comes from in part. If you can show that you are looking for assistance and that you are aware of potential learning problems then the state should not be an issue. If they become such, I would call HSLDA.

As far as scheduling - ask to be put on the cancellation list as soon as they schedule your first appt. You may be able to be seen much sooner than you think. The disadvantage of this is that you may only have a few hours notice of an opening.

It's a 6 hour evaluation that involves a developmental pediatrican, ST and OT or PT, and psychologist. I don't know if or how much insurance may cover either. You can call your insurance company. They shluld be able to tell you what is covered, and what is not. Some insurance is great, others cover nothing. You can also call the center and ask how much is billed. They shold be able to tell you.

This ds had ST and PT through "early intervention" in another state up until he turned 3 and both said that he does progress, simply has his own timeline, and they see no explanation for the delay. The developmental pediatrician and the psychologist will be looking for they whys of his development. They will be looking beyond what a typical PT and ST look at.

Educationally currently he's reading CVC, blends frustrate him, he understands the concepts of addition and can teach me using the MUS blocks, but definitely doesn't have them memorized, handwriting is a struggle, he'll only try ~ 6 letters per day and that is with sticker rewards. He is EASILY frustrated and very active.

I glanced at his paperwork and it asked about strengths, I truly had to think. He livens things up, makes people laugh, and lives fully in the moment, but academically, I'm not sure at this point what his strengths are. I would list those as strengths. The professionals you described above are not just looking at academics. They are planning on looking at your child as a whole child, not just a student. I would list as much as I could in every situtation even if it is not directly related to academics.

I'd like some insight on what is going on with him so I can better teach and parent him, but I'm not sure who is best to seek that from. My worry is when he is sick he doesn't communicate and when he falls, he won't tell me if/what hurts. So I don't know when something else is going on, he's very young for his age. These evals can open those doors for you. Sometimes they give you so much new information on working with your child that they are overwhelming.

Should I be concerned living in a high regulatory state and seeing the state seal involved? I would call them and ask why they have the state seal, how/who they report to beyond parents and PCPs, and how is homeschooling viewed by the organization. Will he have therapies in this center? And so on. Most likely your Dr referred you to this place because it has the best reputation and works best with the doctors. In addition, start asking parents around you what they think of that center. Do they like it or not? Why? What would they do differently? Do they have another center they prefer and why?

My middle ds tried ST through the local district and it was a joke, so I'm not open to that route anyway. I had the same from our local district. It was such a joke, and then they treated me like dirt because I homeschooled.

What would you do if this was your ds? What should I look for or ask?First, get one of those expanding files. Put in a notebook with paper. You will want this to write questions on so you are prepared before you visit with someone. I have to take lists because I forget in the office too often. Journal what is happening and what you are both doing. Not just academically if you know other things will set him off or you think he reacted unusually (differently than peers) Use this file to keep eveything in that they are asking for. Ask for copies of everything you see and keep them in the file. I carried my dd's file with me everywhere everytime. It was a pain, but it was the only way I could keep up with it all and have it ready when asked for it.

I did do this for my ds last year. Well, beginning when he was 8. I wish I had started sooner. I have done it with my dd, and it has been worth it both times. [/QUOTE]