Menu

X-post from Special needs board: Transcripts?

My oldest will be in 9th grade next year. He has Mixed Receptive-Expressive Language Disorder, so both audio and reading comprehension is difficult for him. He's about 2-3 years below grade level on anything involving reading comprehension and "content" - so literature, science, history, etc. The content isn't difficult, but the language the get the content into his brain in a meaningful way is!

I'm trying to think of how I need to handle his different courses for high school and how that will play out for transcript purposes. History won't be too terribly hard to do - I can call stuff "world history" or "U.S. history" or something like that, and just find books on his level. English - same sort of thing. Math - he's actually fine and just about on grade level with math.

But science...:confused: He's about to start BJU 6th grade science on DVD. I think it's an appropriate level language-wise for him. (We'll see!) But for next year, I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, I was planning to use DIVE Science and just use one of the easier texts to accompany it. If I'm able to do that, it won't be a problem - I'll just stick "physical science" on his transcript and be done with it. But I'm not sure he'll be able to understand the language the teacher uses on the DVDs.:confused: So I may have to continue using the BJU on DVD. The 7th grade level would probably be a good fit, but it's life science...CLEARLY not a high school level course.

So I guess my main question isn't so much what to DO for high school science, but more, *what to call it* for transcript purposes, so that his transcript doesn't SCREAM, "I have learning issues"???? Or should I try to find a physical science that explains things in a VERY simple fashion????? I think he might be able to go to college (I figure if Forrest Gump could go to college, this ds can:lol: ), so I want to get my ducks in a row on the front end, rather than getting to his senior year and saying, OOPS!

Kirstin,

I'm sure there will be those who disagree, but BJU science is hard. I looked at the Life Science book and thought it could be done in high school for a biology credit. My ds did Space and Earth Science in 11th grade, that text compared well to the earth science text the local high school uses. The one thing that may be below grade level is the labs. I don't know what labs the Life Science text has, but if you did traditional high school biology labs (it may have those, I don't know), I think you could call it biology w/lab and give credit. A lot of high schools offer earth science, so there is another. When I did call a college and state we did earth science, this college said it wanted upper level lab documentation for it. We didn't choose that college, so it didn't matter after all. (But ds had biology, chemistry and physics and had taken earth science for an elective). The college he is at said they would have accepted the earth science.

Ds college has many non-science major science classes that are not difficult.

We did BJU Science 6, it was a good year.

Kirstin,

I'm sure there will be those who disagree, but BJU science is hard. I looked at the Life Science book and thought it could be done in high school for a biology credit. My ds did Space and Earth Science in 11th grade, that text compared well to the earth science text the local high school uses. The one thing that may be below grade level is the labs. I don't know what labs the Life Science text has, but if you did traditional high school biology labs (it may have those, I don't know), I think you could call it biology w/lab and give credit. A lot of high schools offer earth science, so there is another. When I did call a college and state we did earth science, this college said it wanted upper level lab documentation for it. We didn't choose that college, so it didn't matter after all. (But ds had biology, chemistry and physics and had taken earth science for an elective). The college he is at said they would have accepted the earth science.

Ds college has many non-science major science classes that are not difficult.

We did BJU Science 6, it was a good year.

Oh REALLY????? Hmmmmm!!!!!!! I don't see this kid going into a sciencey field, so bare basics would be what he'd need to get into college. So what you said just might work!!!