Menu

Thinking ahead a smidge...transcripts?

My oldest will be in 9th grade next year. He has Mixed Receptive-Expressive Language Disorder, so both audio and reading comprehension is difficult for him. He's about 2-3 years below grade level on anything involving reading comprehension and "content" - so literature, science, history, etc. The content isn't difficult, but the language the get the content into his brain in a meaningful way is!

I'm trying to think of how I need to handle his different courses for high school and how that will play out for transcript purposes. History won't be too terribly hard to do - I can call stuff "world history" or "U.S. history" or something like that, and just find books on his level. English - same sort of thing. Math - he's actually fine and just about on grade level with math.

But science...:confused: He's about to start BJU 6th grade science on DVD. I think it's an appropriate level language-wise for him. (We'll see!) But for next year, I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, I was planning to use DIVE Science and just use one of the easier texts to accompany it. If I'm able to do that, it won't be a problem - I'll just stick "physical science" on his transcript and be done with it. But I'm not sure he'll be able to understand the language the teacher uses on the DVDs.:confused: So I may have to continue using the BJU on DVD. The 7th grade level would probably be a good fit, but it's life science...CLEARLY not a high school level course.

So I guess my main question isn't so much what to DO for high school science, but more, *what to call it* for transcript purposes, so that his transcript doesn't SCREAM, "I have learning issues"???? Or should I try to find a physical science that explains things in a VERY simple fashion????? I think he might be able to go to college (I figure if Forrest Gump could go to college, this ds can:lol: ), so I want to get my ducks in a row on the front end, rather than getting to his senior year and saying, OOPS!

What is that? I've never heard of it.

You asked for a name to give to a 7th grade Life Science class taken in 9th grade. The school I am enrolled with gives credit to 7th and 8th grade text used in 9th and 10th grade for struggling learners. They will title the course for example Earth Science Concepts, Life Science Concepts, etc. It doesn't scream learning issues yet it doesn't scream honor student either:) It generally denotes that the concepts of the subject were presented and usually no in depth lab work was involved to complete the course.

You asked for a name to give to a 7th grade Life Science class taken in 9th grade. The school I am enrolled with gives credit to 7th and 8th grade text used in 9th and 10th grade for struggling learners. They will title the course for example Earth Science Concepts, Life Science Concepts, etc. It doesn't scream learning issues yet it doesn't scream honor student either:) It generally denotes that the concepts of the subject were presented and usually no in depth lab work was involved to complete the course.

Ahhhhhhh, I gotcha! (I'm a bit slow on the uptake at times!:lol: ) Good idea - thanks!

How about Pre-Biology I w/ lab? Or Biology A w/ lab? The labs in BJU Life Science are the same as in most high school Biology courses, and the class is plenty rigorous. I think one big difference is that in 'Life Science', the dissections and labs are optional, while in high school Biology they are required. It's mostly the same material. My 7th grader (who has no learning issues) is struggling through it now.

I like Biology A. Or, how about "Introduction to Biology."

I think I heard somewhere that Mother of Divine Grace, which is a regionally accredited school, uses the A and B designation. And Kolbe, which has a private school accreditation, may call their Physical Science "Introduction to Chemistry and Physics" at the high school level.

If it's not considered a high school course by the prospective college, putting "concepts" on it won't make a difference. (The evaluators aren't stupid.) Here's the deal. YOU define what your high school biology is, you chose the text, and you put the label. If you put Biology on the transcript, use the Life Science book, and add in more papers, dissection, and maybe some videos, he'll learn WAY more biology than I did in the ps. That's your call, and you have the right to do that. (I didn't say you or anyone OUGHT to, just that they CAN.) The issue to me is more of a functional issue. You need to teach him where he's at, but at some point it's just not going to be reality for him to jump into college level texts when he is multiple years behind. There's a huge jump from the BJU6 to Life Science, btw. It might not be accurate to assume he'll slide easily. Does he like the methodology of the BJU? Do all those worksheets, study guides, and things to fill out HELP him? If they do, I'd keep going that way and not screw up what is working. If they don't, I'd look at Apologia or something written a bit differently (more narrative, less throwing at you of a zillion facts). I'd also consider whether another year or two at home or a vo-tech track might help him. Nothing says he has to start high school at 14. It's more important that he be where he needs to be and learn the skills.

The issue to me is more of a functional issue. You need to teach him where he's at, but at some point it's just not going to be reality for him to jump into college level texts when he is multiple years behind.

Exactly. And honestly he'll be in a quandry when it does come time to go to college because of this. I've been ATTEMPTING to get him up to grade level, but all the doctors and therapists are saying don't bother. Now, I will say, that I fully intend to get trained in V/V and to hit him hard with it, because I think that will help him IMMENSELY. I'm curious to see how much that can help him improve with his understanding of language.

There's a huge jump from the BJU6 to Life Science, btw. It might not be accurate to assume he'll slide easily. Does he like the methodology of the BJU? Do all those worksheets, study guides, and things to fill out HELP him? If they do, I'd keep going that way and not screw up what is working.

We're going to give it a shot, that's for sure. He hasn't started BJU 6 just yet.

If they don't, I'd look at Apologia or something written a bit differently (more narrative, less throwing at you of a zillion facts).

Apologia would be an absolutely NIGHTMARE. "Narrative" is BAD BAD BAD for this kid. He does MUCH better with "just the facts." Even the SLP who evaluated him noticed that. He can recall and understand information when it's just facts. If you throw in "conversational tone" he gets lost. (Conversations with him in real life are a real blast, lemme tell ya.:tongue_smilie:)

I'd also consider whether another year or two at home or a vo-tech track might help him. Nothing says he has to start high school at 14. It's more important that he be where he needs to be and learn the skills.

Yes, I've been considering that as well, both the gap year after 8th and a vo-tech track. The gap year is a problem for 2 reasons - he would be against it most likely and my husband would be against it (although my husband has no clue that ds is actually going to be in high school next year). I'm fully supportive of it, and I think he needs it. Vo-tech - that is where his skills lie. He lives in some sort of false reality though - he wants to be an FBI agent. Sigh. That's another topic for another post though - how to help kids hone in on a career that matches with their ABILITIES, not just what is "cool.":tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

We have a really good technical college here through the public schools that I'd love to take advantage of. A friend of ds's just graduated from high school (he was homeschooled also) and did their construction classes there and said they were GREAT.

Just looked at some local high schools. One of them has a one semester earth science and a one semester astronomy. Sounds an awful lot like BJU's space and earth science.:D And I'm sure BJU would be more rigorous. The earth science class has a whole unit on SETI - activities include things titled "Message from Space" and "Design an Alien." The 2nd quarter of the astronomy class has 3 "essential" questions they will be discussing. Two of them are "Could life be found in other places in the solar system?" and "How did the universe get here? How is it going to end?"

Sounds like a high-quality education.....:tongue_smilie:

Around here we have what is called a vocational school, a high school that teaches vocational skills. They leave ready to get a job and are skilled in something basic (dental hygeine, carpentry, whatever). I'd look at getting him a job, something that develops his skills. We're in construction, so the family boys work alongside their fathers and grandfathers learning. We had a guy go into med school after working summers for us. It's just a good thing to have a skill. If he has people and conversation issues, he's going to have difficulty moving up in some fields, because he won't really be leadership/supervisor material. You want to guide him toward a career that doesn't require that to be successful and earn a level of living that will support his family. For instance HVAC isn't exactly the most people-oriented thing. Telephone repair and communication systems designers can be geeky. Those are just some areas where I've noticed people who aren't necessarily as on people-wise but who can be very successful occupationally.

If he wants to be an FBI agent, I would look up all the requirements with him and then work backwards to make a curriculum. Now, you know that is not right for him, but that may be what it takes for him to see reality. And, it may just take your signing him up for vocational classes to get him interested in something different.

As far as naming classes, I have seen the words 'Remedial" for all subjects, or at one scholl there was "basic biology', biology, or AP biology. Basic was the remedial version.

Around here we have what is called a vocational school, a high school that teaches vocational skills. They leave ready to get a job and are skilled in something basic (dental hygeine, carpentry, whatever). I'd look at getting him a job, something that develops his skills. We're in construction, so the family boys work alongside their fathers and grandfathers learning. We had a guy go into med school after working summers for us. It's just a good thing to have a skill. If he has people and conversation issues, he's going to have difficulty moving up in some fields, because he won't really be leadership/supervisor material. You want to guide him toward a career that doesn't require that to be successful and earn a level of living that will support his family. For instance HVAC isn't exactly the most people-oriented thing. Telephone repair and communication systems designers can be geeky. Those are just some areas where I've noticed people who aren't necessarily as on people-wise but who can be very successful occupationally.

Exactly. Tell that to him, though.:rolleyes: Of course, I'm very close to a manager whose communication skills stink. (Although I've wondered if he uses all his "good communication" at work so there's nothing left for others LOL.)

We have a vo-tech school - it's a technical college for juniors and seniors. They offer lots of stuff. I honestly think that'd be an awesome plan for this ds. And actually I may have my oldest dd take the construction courses when she's old enough - she wants to be a "missionary nurse who builds houses" someday.:D But I think I'm the only one in our family who seems to give a rip.:tongue_smilie:

If he wants to be an FBI agent, I would look up all the requirements with him and then work backwards to make a curriculum. Now, you know that is not right for him, but that may be what it takes for him to see reality.

That's a good idea. This kid has a nervous stomach and is a scaredy-cat by nature. He struggles with nuances and processes things slowly. Doesn't that sound like perfect FBI agent material???????:tongue_smilie: He sees them on TV and things it's exciting. Plain and simple. I try to keep him in reality, but my husband says stuff like, "You can do anything you want to!" (of course he thinks all of ds's issues are because ds isn't trying hard enough)

And, it may just take your signing him up for vocational classes to get him interested in something different.

VERY good point! Thanks!

That's where I was going with it, that if you get him a job or apprentice him, he may get into it and find himself so subtly it doesn't hurt. It's ok to be enthralled by what we THINK a career or field is like. My dh watches shows about AirForce One that carries the president. Doesn't mean he's going to be a pilot, lol. I think most people watching shows on tv don't have a realistic view of what their careers are like anyway. If you guide him carefully on the day-to-day and get him doing things that fit him NOW, the end result will probably take care of itself.

That's a good idea. This kid has a nervous stomach and is a scaredy-cat by nature. He struggles with nuances and processes things slowly. Doesn't that sound like perfect FBI agent material???????

I had a friend in college who became an FBI agent. He had to graduate with a 3.75 GPA in order to avoid testing during the application process. The FBI is not an easy career choice. Finding out exactly what their minimum requirements are may change his mind and finding out what a typical agent has in the way of schooling and experience will probably either get him motivated or get him to change career paths :001_smile:.

I had a friend in college who became an FBI agent. He had to graduate with a 3.75 GPA in order to avoid testing during the application process. The FBI is not an easy career choice. Finding out exactly what their minimum requirements are may change his mind and finding out what a typical agent has in the way of schooling and experience will probably either get him motivated or get him to change career paths :001_smile:.

I think the CIA is similar. The son of friends wants to be part of the CIA. He has the grades and skill, but he also has to reach a certain age before he can even apply.