Menu

Which math program most closely works like this?

mamaofredheads

Seems I'm not the only one with a math dilemna right now. ;)

DS is in 8th grade and is dyslexic. Math isn't his best subject and he's a bit behind, but he has greatly improved (mostly because he's maturing) over the last few months. We are using TT, but he hates it. This morning we had a talk about what he wants from a math program...so here is his ideal program...please help me find it. :tongue_smilie:

He wants something that teaches a new concept and gives you several days to work on it without doing review problems of other types, and then a review quiz once a week of the new topic plus things he's learned in the past. He said when he has to do several different types of problems in one lesson every day they all get jumbled up in his brain. :001_smile: Also, he wants more problems on a new concept so he can work on it until he "gets it" (in other words, not one that moves through concepts quickly, and we can speed up and slow down as needed).

I'm willing to tweak a program that is close to this, but really want to avoid having to make up extra problems. We tried tweaking with TT, but it was difficult because he was bouncing around to different lessons on the computer. He will finish TT6 in 2 weeks.

I am also teaching another dyslexic ds so LA instruction takes a lot of time between the 2 of them each day. He reads well, but I'm hoping for something that is taught on DVD possibly and then I can explain anything he doesn't understand.

I'm thinking maybe MUS might be the best fit, but he's learned fractions, decimals and percents in TT, so I'm not sure how to switch him over. We used MUS until about 4th grade, but it's not my favorite because it stays with one subject all year long.

Any suggestions welcome!!!!

I'd have him take the placement test for MUS. A single topic and mastery might be perfect to help keep things from being jumbled. I also suggest that you look at Life of Fred to go along with what every math you are doing or do it between TT6 and whatever you do next. It would help reinforce his fractions and percents, but let him look over the samples before you do. There are some leaps in the problem sets that may bother him.

Maybe try Lial's BCM? The lessons on one topic are done over two days (you could spread them out more), the explanations are clear, and it stays on one topic at a time, with extra summary problems mid- and end of chapter, and a cumulative review at the end of each chapter.

There are lots and lots of practice problems. Most people just do the odds, but the evens are there if you want more. There are also optional Video (DVT) lessons for even more explanation.

I'd have him take the placement test for MUS. A single topic and mastery might be perfect to help keep things from being jumbled. I also suggest that you look at Life of Fred to go along with what every math you are doing or do it between TT6 and whatever you do next. It would help reinforce his fractions and percents, but let him look over the samples before you do. There are some leaps in the problem sets that may bother him.

Thanks, Karen. I'll look at MUS. It's been a long time since I've been to their website. He understands what he's learned of fractions, percents, & decimals in TT, so I'm afraid a lot of MUS would be repetition.

We did try LOF. He loved the stories, but the explanations weren't clear sometimes, and it moved a little too fast. He doesn't really need to review those items, just find the best curriculum to take us on to the next thing. :)

Maybe try Lial's BCM? The lessons on one topic are done over two days (you could spread them out more), the explanations are clear, and it stays on one topic at a time, with extra summary problems mid- and end of chapter, and a cumulative review at the end of each chapter.

There are lots and lots of practice problems. Most people just do the odds, but the evens are there if you want more. There are also optional Video (DVT) lessons for even more explanation.

Thanks, Matroyshka. I've never looked at Lial's before. Do you know where I can see sample pages? I found the book description on-line, but couldn't find sample pages. It looks like he's gone through most of the topics in BCM until Chapter 8. Do you know if it covers them at a more difficult level than TT did? What is the next book after that? Any suggestions of where to order them new at a good price? Thanks so much!! Sounds like it might be a good fit.